First Time Open Carry

Cowbilly32

I live in Texas where open carry is not yet legal (but we are working on it). A couple of weeks ago I had business in Phoenix, Arizona and took my Glock with me. Knowing that Arizona is one of the friendliest open carry states in the nation, I decided to go ahead and do it...meaning open carry. One of the factors was that it was 110 degrees out and I was dressed in attire that would not conceal. When dressed like that I usually have to conceal in my backpack which is less than ideal.
I will have to say that I was very nervous although I knew it was legal. I did not want to have to call back to work to say I was in jail because some uninformed, ambitious cop hauled me in. Although legal, no one ever said one would never have to experience the judicial system! I went into a Wal-Mart, two restaurants and then conjured up enough courage to stroll into a convenience store. It was really nice to experience open carry especially in that heat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but I was amazed that no one seemed to even look in my direction. I purposed to carry on about my business as though I've been doing it forever which may have caused me to escape notice. Who knows...
Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.

Amazing how all those stories you hear about in the anti-open carry discussions just don't happen in real life, ain't it? :). Glad you got to try it out and experience it for yourself!

I live in Texas where open carry is not yet legal (but we are working on it). A couple of weeks ago I had business in Phoenix, Arizona and took my Glock with me. Knowing that Arizona is one of the friendliest open carry states in the nation, I decided to go ahead and do it...meaning open carry. One of the factors was that it was 110 degrees out and I was dressed in attire that would not conceal. When dressed like that I usually have to conceal in my backpack which is less than ideal.
I will have to say that I was very nervous although I knew it was legal. I did not want to have to call back to work to say I was in jail because some uninformed, ambitious cop hauled me in. Although legal, no one ever said one would never have to experience the judicial system! I went into a Wal-Mart, two restaurants and then conjured up enough courage to stroll into a convenience store. It was really nice to experience open carry especially in that heat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but I was amazed that no one seemed to even look in my direction. I purposed to carry on about my business as though I've been doing it forever which may have caused me to escape notice. Who knows...
Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.

Surprising isn't it? Well at least at first...now it's surprising when I do get any attention.

I OC in Clovis, NM. a lot of the time, and hardly ever get a second look. Clovis is a small town, and OC orCC is pretty much the same. We all know who carries here anyway. LOL

In Florida we can't open carry, but in October I'll be spending 4 days in Virginia. I plan on giving it a try while I'm there.

Welcome to Arizona. I'm glad you enjoyed our fine state. OC is pretty common around here.

Congrats, isn't OC great and COMFORTABLE? Nothing better than being in a pro gun state. I've always said TX isn't half as gun friendly as people think it is. Good luck to you guys getting that straightened out. Hopefully soon.

The more you OC the more comfortable you'll be with it. I do notice that my senses are heightened (if that's possible) concerning those in close proximity around me when I do OC. I carry a full size 1911. NOT much for people not to notice but over the years only had one kid spew a comment.

The more you OC the more comfortable you'll be with it. I do notice that my senses are heightened (if that's possible) concerning those in close proximity around me when I do OC. I carry a full size 1911. NOT much for people not to notice but over the years only had one kid spew a comment.

Just happened to take a look around me while I OC at a coffee shop/grocery store (and read this thread) and there are 3 people looking at me until I look at them. It seems to me by their facial expressions that they are curious but don't want to bring any attention to it. Thanks for that lol Like mappow said, when I OC, I notice almost every single motion around me.

How do we know they do? I think OC requires a bit more awareness because of that .01% chance somebody might decide to try something.

I worded it wrong. Not necessarily lowering their S.A., but to have a lower S.A. compared to OC (or have a higher S.A. while OC). I feel, carrying in any form requires the same S.A., Same as not carrying at all in fact. S.A.will stop more criminals than a firearm ever will.

I OC to minimize the chance somebody tries something, because I feel looking unarmed increases the chance of someone trying something. It would make more sense to me if concealing had a heightened sense...but even that would be irresponsible (to think their senses were any lower otherwise).

My statement was made due to the fact of IF I'm OC'ing my weapon is out there for all to see. I make specific reference to "especially when people are of close proximity of me". When I CC I'm not so worried about someone close due to my concealment of my weapon and their inability to recognize that I'm CC.
Damm, some of ya'll are spliting a hair on the preverbal gnats backside.

My statement was made due to the fact of IF I'm OC'ing my weapon is out there for all to see. I make specific reference to "especially when people are of close proximity of me". When I CC I'm not so worried about someone close due to my concealment of my weapon and their inability to recognize that I'm CC.
Damm, some of ya'll are spliting a hair on the preverbal gnats backside.

I apologize.

Not so much you TRI but others fail to understand that if you OC there are some screwballs out there that may want to disarm you. It's really the only thing that discourages me from OC'ing in some places. I have an open holster that came with my 1911 from Springfield. Not straps, locks or retention device. I am in a heighten state more so when I OC. It's just me, my opinion and the way I do things. Not speaking for anyone else or suggesting anyone do as I. I do have some pretty extensive hand to hand but I don't know it all nor can I cover all that may come my way. What I do know is that I do take my carry of a weapon to the extreme. Another reason why I'm a contributor and active poster on this site. I always want to learn more. Some people profess they DO KNOW IT ALL. Not dropping any names or inferring anyone specific. (I know, redundant)

Not so much you TRI but others fail to understand that if you OC there are some screwballs out there that may want to disarm you. It's really the only thing that discourages me from OC'ing in some places. I have an open holster that came with my 1911 from Springfield. Not straps, locks or retention device. I am in a heighten state more so when I OC. It's just me, my opinion and the way I do things. Not speaking for anyone else or suggesting anyone do as I. I do have some pretty extensive hand to hand but I don't know it all nor can I cover all that may come my way. What I do know is that I do take my carry of a weapon to the extreme. Another reason why I'm a contributor and active poster on this site. I always want to learn more. Some people profess they DO KNOW IT ALL. Not dropping any names or inferring anyone specific. (I know, redundant)

Just want to clarify, my first response was stating I don't understand...Not that I know it all.

I just don't get your mentality, not saying it's wrong, just doesn't make sense to me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back