First Time Open Carry

Wish we had the option to open carry in Texas. Maybe it'll pass next legislature session. My guess is that it would only be available then to concealed carry holders. Some are still fearful here of open carry but then they predicted that there would be mass bloodshed when concealed passed. When I'm in Arizona and see open carry I feel safer: good guys are going to open carry, few criminals do!

Some are still fearful here of open carry

I hear this a lot about Texas...where does all the bravado and gun confidence come from when people talk about Texas? Looking through their laws and what their legislature is pushing, I'm just not seeing it...

In Florida we can't open carry, but in October I'll be spending 4 days in Virginia. I plan on giving it a try while I'm there.

In most cities you wont get a second look. VA is extremely gun friendly. Moving here was the best move I ever made.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using USA Carry mobile app

I hear this a lot about Texas...where does all the bravado and gun confidence come from when people talk about Texas? Looking through their laws and what their legislature is pushing, I'm just not seeing it...

Thankfully we do have a lot of activists for OC but the state is afflicted like so many others with enlightened progressives. Our large cities are run by urban league inner city politicians and imported Coasties and Kalifornicators. Only ourselves to blame for having such a business friendly and welcoming character. We may be facing the same population split as Colorado. Outside these Blue cities Texas is God's country. Guns and deer hunting are 2nd only in popularity to football (maybe). We strongly believe Texas should be restored the the independent nation it once was. We have all the resources to be fully sustaining without any money or regulations from Washington. Currently we send more taxes there than we receive benefits. These are some of the reasons so many businesses relocate here and arms companies are seriously are too. Think about it: no personal/corp. income tax, low cost of living, great weather and very gun friendly.
The Dems are out to make this a purple or even a BLUE state: the don't know how strongly we feel about our state and how we detest outside control. OK I'm off my soapbox now. .....One more thing......when you just get fed up with Bloomberg, NJ politics, and all the anti-gun non-sense, start packing and put your sign up like so many others have before ........"Gone to Texas"

I've always said TX isn't have as gun friendly as it's reputation would make you think. Aside from TX being Shall Issue, my home state of MA is more friendly to concealed carriers.

I open carried today in a Dairy Queen just off campus of a major university here in Indiana (I won't say which one but it rhymes with "Fondue"). The place was packed because students are coming back on campus for the new school year and today was 1/2 price everything before 2pm.
Anyway, I don't open carry a lot especially that close to campus or where it's crowded. I've only had my permit for about 8 months and I am not a fan of drawing attention to myself. While I'm not afraid of a confrontation with some anti-gun nut I am afraid of them making me angry or just ruining my day with their insanity. Being that close to a University campus definitely mean liberals are lurking around.
I've tried very hard ever since I've got my permit to avoid conflict and to just let stuff roll off my back. I am a firm believer of practicing the DBAA method when carrying: Don't Be An A$$hole. Last thing I need is to have an argument with the afore mentioned anti-gun nut and then have them call the cops afterwards and say I pointed a gun at them. I believe that this is a entirely possible scenario and I think I read in a Massad Ayoob book of a similar situation. I feel like some of the true anti-gun nutters are capable of doing a lot of things to try and ruin your carry experience from what I mentioned above or even trying to grab your gun from behind (also something else I think I read in an Ayoob book).
Well, my fears weren't realized but just because it didn't happen while spending an hour in a crowded Dairy Queen doesn't mean it still couldn't at some point.
However, despite this possibility, I do think I will OC more often and here's why. I was much, much, much, much ++++ more aware of my surroundings and the people than I think I am when I CC. It was much easier to stay at Cooper's Yellow level and I think I my anxiety got the best of me as I probably spent a good amount of time (unnecessarily) at Orange. :unsure:
Overall it was a good learning experience for me. I think I got a few looks and I'm pretty sure a couple of frats boys behind me had the following conversation:
Bro 1: "Hey look! That guy's got his gat!"
Bro 2: "Sweet. That's pretty cool."
Bro 1: "Yeah it is. Anyway, who's getting the keg tonight..."
At that point I tuned them out.
:alcoholic:

I open carried today in a Dairy Queen just off campus of a major university here in Indiana (I won't say which one but it rhymes with "Fondue"). The place was packed because students are coming back on campus for the new school year and today was 1/2 price everything before 2pm.
Anyway, I don't open carry a lot especially that close to campus or where it's crowded. I've only had my permit for about 8 months and I am not a fan of drawing attention to myself. While I'm not afraid of a confrontation with some anti-gun nut I am afraid of them making me angry or just ruining my day with their insanity. Being that close to a University campus definitely mean liberals are lurking around.
I've tried very hard ever since I've got my permit to avoid conflict and to just let stuff roll off my back. I am a firm believer of practicing the DBAA method when carrying: Don't Be An A$$hole. Last thing I need is to have an argument with the afore mentioned anti-gun nut and then have them call the cops afterwards and say I pointed a gun at them. I believe that this is a entirely possible scenario and I think I read in a Massad Ayoob book of a similar situation. I feel like some of the true anti-gun nutters are capable of doing a lot of things to try and ruin your carry experience from what I mentioned above or even trying to grab your gun from behind (also something else I think I read in an Ayoob book).
Well, my fears weren't realized but just because it didn't happen while spending an hour in a crowded Dairy Queen doesn't mean it still couldn't at some point.
However, despite this possibility, I do think I will OC more often and here's why. I was much, much, much, much ++++ more aware of my surroundings and the people than I think I am when I CC. It was much easier to stay at Cooper's Yellow level and I think I my anxiety got the best of me as I probably spent a good amount of time (unnecessarily) at Orange. :unsure:
Overall it was a good learning experience for me. I think I got a few looks and I'm pretty sure a couple of frats boys behind me had the following conversation:
Bro 1: "Hey look! That guy's got his gat!"
Bro 2: "Sweet. That's pretty cool."
Bro 1: "Yeah it is. Anyway, who's getting the keg tonight..."
At that point I tuned them out.
:alcoholic:

Now that you know your awareness level can be much higher, I hope you take responsibility and keep it at that height no matter how you are carrying.

Now that you know your awareness level can be much higher, I hope you take responsibility and keep it at that height no matter how you are carrying.

I hope I can too. Although I'll have to admit staying at Orange for long periods of time takes a toll on the brain.

I have a question on OC in NC . I know you can OC in NC , my question is , I am in a power chair , can I mount the holster to my chair and carry it that way ?

I hope I can too. Although I'll have to admit staying at Orange for long periods of time takes a toll on the brain.

I have never read ANYWHERE that shouldering responsibility was easy and with carrying you have responsibility. Life ain't no rose garden.

I have never read ANYWHERE that shouldering responsibility was easy and with carrying you have responsibility. Life ain't no rose garden.

I think there are a lot of levels of awareness. In Cooper’s color code system orange identifies maybe not a specific threat but a specific cause for concern. I don’t think that level of awareness is really appropriate unless someone specific has tripped your radar

I think there are a lot of levels of awareness. In Cooper’s color code system orange identifies maybe not a specific threat but a specific cause for concern. I don’t think that level of awareness is really appropriate unless someone specific has tripped your radar

I agree it's not. I was just stating the fact that as a first real experience OCing my anxiety got the best of me and put into that mode. Yellow would be the ideal to strive for.

WV is an open carry state, although I have a CCW, I have just started to carry open in selected areas. Nobody really cares, I was pretty surprised myself but very cautious. Funny, Walmart here generally has a store policy and some counties or cities have a few ordinances against it. It would be nice for the politicians to get on the same page.

I agree it's not. I was just stating the fact that as a first real experience OCing my anxiety got the best of me and put into that mode. Yellow would be the ideal to strive for.

CC or OC, anyone gets near I start heading toward orange, especially from the rear. I feel it's the responsibility of having a firearm on me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back