First Time Flying With Firearm

First time taking my gun on a flight today. Flying AirTran through CMH Columbus OH.
Declared firearm at check in in my checked bag. Checkin agent asked to see the locked container in my bag and I signed a tag confirming gun was unloaded which was fixed to the container - a combination Nanosafe. Closed my bag and locked it - All done. Check in agent was ok and the process was smooth. I may post a follow up on our return through Fort Lauderdale. I did check the TSA regulations as well as Airtrans cos I heard AirTran don't like ammo to be in the same locked container whereas TSA say it can be. Actually, no check was made regarding ammo, although I followed Airtrans rules because they didn't conflict with TSA.
All the best!

Last month was my first. Flew out of Tucson,AZ into Redmond,OR on Alaska Airlines - one way (we drove back). No problems whatsoever. I had my XD45 in a COM lock box with a key, and 200 rounds of ammo (~12 pounds worth) in some MTM ammo boxes. The lady at the check in counter asked if it was unloaded and in a locked case, but didn't open to inspect. I asked for and filled out the firearms declaration form, and she put a tag INSIDE my suitcase (I was hoping it wouldn't be a big tag marked "FIREARM" for everyone to see). She asked me to hang around for a couple minutes to ensure the security folks didn't need to have it opened for any reason, but by the time I checked in the luggage for the rest of the family, I was good to go.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous, with it being my first time and all. I actually packed my gun against my wife's wishes (she was really worried that it would result in a major hassle, and we're toting 3 little ones around, so it's understandable). All went well. I'll do it again the next time I fly, provided it's not NYC or CA.

I have a question for y'all that fly, you can fly with it as long as you’re starting destination and your ending destination you are legally able to carry correct? Even if you fly through a state where you can't legal posses it?
Curious for my next trip.

I have a question for y'all that fly, you can fly with it as long as you’re starting destination and your ending destination you are legally able to carry correct? Even if you fly through a state where you can't legal posses it?
Curious for my next trip.

Taking possession of your luggage in the state where the gun is prohibited may cause you legal problems when you check your bags in again for the next flight and you have to declare your gun again. If your luggage is transferred by the airline, it's no problem at all.

Taking possession of your luggage in the state where the gun is prohibited may cause you legal problems when you check your bags in again for the next flight and you have to declare your gun again. If your luggage is transferred by the airline, it's no problem at all.

Thank you for the information. I didn't think it would be a problem but rather ask to make sure then be sorry.

How I Go About It

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review Link Removed to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
  2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
    • If the weapon is a:
      • semi-automatic
        • lock the slide open
        • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
      • revolver, flip the cylinder out
    • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
      • it invites questions about them being loaded
      • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
  4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    • To determine if the ammo
      • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
      • can fly in loaded magazines
    • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.
    • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
  5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
  6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
    • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
    • The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
  8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
  9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Link Removed) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
    • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
    • if the TSA wants to see
  10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    • airline - NOTE Some airlines - Delta and US Air being 2 - now allow you to track your checked luggage on your I-Phone/Android if you are a Frequent Flier
    • FAA Regional Office
    • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry to determine:
    • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
    • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
    • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
  2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back