First out of state trip. Automobile rules are confusing.

Glock513

OK, so I'm leaving soon from Ohio through Kentucky into Tennessee. I just read the automobile rules and it looks like I cannot carry my handgun on me in either state and cannot have the gun in the car without locking in a box. Is this true?

OK, so I'm leaving soon from Ohio through Kentucky into Tennessee. I just read the automobile rules and it looks like I cannot carry my handgun on me in either state and cannot have the gun in the car without locking in a box. Is this true?
That combination should get you safely through any state. In those that deny you even that, you are protected by Federal law. There are examples of states ignoring the Federal law.

Unloaded in a locked box in the trunk and you should be fine. If you want added protection you can take the slide off. Store ammo separately.

As long as you stay away from the north east you should be A-OK.

I may have missed it but...do you have a concealed handgun license from Ohio? If so, the link supplied by GHF will tell you that both Ky and TN recogmize an Ohio license, and have less onerous rules than Ohio.

Answer

If you have a concealed handgun license, it's valid in Kentucky & Tennessee.

The replies so far all seem pretty good. Please be aware that even though you mentioned certain states, you never can be sure if you might be going thru some other state or, even in some states, a town, city, or county that has stricter rules than the state (ie NYC vs NY). Unless you have a real pressing reason for bringing your gun along on a trip (and the locked unloaded gun in the trunk and separate ammo container is as good as it can get), you are better off not bringing the gun then researching your options and finding out you are wrong or have misinterpreted state law should you be put in a police situation.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back