First interstate concealed carry

Islander

Helllo Folks,

I traveled from SC to NC this week and decided to carry on this driving trip. Before leaving I researched and PRINTED the legal documents regarding NC honoring SC permits, as well as the regs on carrying in cars. I wanted to have all the laws sitting beside me on the car seat.

No offense to those who live in NC, but the gun laws in that state are poorly written and open to all sorts of interpretation. If you live there and know the law, you know what I am talking about. Here in SC we are lucky to have a strong grass roots organization that does a fantastic job of evaluating perspective laws for conflicts and accuracy. In fact, most of our gun law proposals are sent by the legislators to this organization for review before they are submitted to congress. I don't want to get too off topic, so let me close this thought by saying I feel for those folks in NC who do not have concealed permits but want to protect themselves with firearms.

One big difference in carrying concealed in NC versus SC is that carrying in "financial institutions" is explicitly prohibited in NC. I normally don't carry in the bank anyway, just to avoid an incident, but this is an important distinction.

The trip was uneventful except for DROPPING MY GUN at a rest stop while still in SC. I normally carry in my right jacket pocket in winter. For some reason I had the gun in the console and while getting out of the car slipped it into my jacket pocket. Only this time I forgot to zip the pocket up an inch or so, which I normally do. While climbing out of the car, the seatbelt clip lifted up the pocket and gun as it retracted, and my little Ruger LCP went tumbling down to the pavement. I had just read about the guy dropping his gun in the John and knew "That would never happen to me!" Nobody saw anything and the gun went straight back into my pocket with no issues.

Other than that little accident, and feeling a little nervous being out of my home state, the trip was a non-event. It was a great experience.

SC Grass Roots Gun Organization information:
"GrassRoots South Carolina"
GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose.

Glad to know you made it OK...sometimes, even in the "class" of non-events, there is a little lesson to learn, like in your case, how to secure you gun more properly on your trip. When my husband and I cannot fly to our destination in our little plane, we drive my SUV with our dog who occupies the whole middle seat. We carry all the way (on us), no matter where it is, even in rest stops that has a no gun signs at the door. No one would know...I had learned how to secure my firearm and it has to be with me all the time...and I suppose my husband too but we never ask each other anymore. We both knew we both carry in our person no matter where...unless he already has a drink or two, I know he will not be armed, but I am. And he will tell me he is not armed.

I used to live in NC, and so I know from experience they are goofy about placing a danged lot of silly restrictions on the carrying of concealed firearms. Application process wasn't entirely smooth and painless either. However, SC doesn't exactly have a short list of places where carry is prohibited.

Concentration of licensees isn't particularly high in either state, but from what I've been able to find it's higher in NC than in SC.

Link Removed

SECTION 23-31-215(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

Glad to know you made it OK...sometimes, even in the "class" of non-events, there is a little lesson to learn, like in your case, how to secure you gun more properly on your trip. When my husband and I cannot fly to our destination in our little plane, we drive my SUV with our dog who occupies the whole middle seat. We carry all the way (on us), no matter where it is, even in rest stops that has a no gun signs at the door. No one would know...I had learned how to secure my firearm and it has to be with me all the time...and I suppose my husband too but we never ask each other anymore. We both knew we both carry in our person no matter where...unless he already has a drink or two, I know he will not be armed, but I am. And he will tell me he is not armed.

I am new to this forum. As the father of a soldier who spent 12 months in Mosul I have to say THANKYOU to Tuckers MOM and DAD... Please say Hooah and Thankyou to that soldier of yours...

Skunk237
NRA member
Proud father of a Veteran
Senior Ride Captain, Patriot Guard Riders

Yep. the laws are screwed. FYI, CONCEALED CARRY iin a financial institution in NC is illegal. OPEN CARRY is not.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back