First Carry Gun

Rob_F

I am looking to purchase my first handgun and then will get my ccw license here in Indiana and start carrying. My top two choices right now are the Ruger SR9 and the Springfield Xd 9mm (compact or sub compact). I like the fact that the ruger has a manual safety and the XD has a grip safety and both have trigger safeties. Both in the low 400's and have the ability to hold 13 or more rounds. Are there other guns that are similar that I should consider? Any thing else to consider?

Can't say anything about the XD, but I am also new to CCW and I picked up the SR9c. It is a nice, compact size that isn't too small for my fairly large hands. I'm not carrying all the time right now (going to get some training for my own comfort and confidence) but when I do it seems to conceal well. I like the option of using the 17-round magazine, when concealed isn't a concern, too. Just my $0.02.

I have an XD-SC 40 and really like it. But not as a carry weapon. It's now my at-home defense weapon. It's just too bulky and heavy. My husband offered and I accepted his Ruger LC9 and I just love it. I can wear it all day even in a cheapie holster (though I am getting a Crossbreed Supertuck for it). It holds only 7 rounds in the magazine (+1 in the chamber) so that might turn you off.

I also have the LC9. I bought the Maxtuck holster from whitehatholsters.com and 2 extra mags. I took it to the range and it shot well. Its very easy to conceal with this holster.

I think that either one would be a great choice, I would go for the XD over the Ruger. I have shot both and I find the XD to be more accurate and a bit better balanced. Plus Springfield has a special deal going right now. You get 3 free mags with any XD or XD(M) purchase.

You would be doing yourself a disservice to not handle and fire the smith and wesson M&P compacts.

Got my Lc9 in my pocket everyday, just love it. No more uncomfy than my celly in the pocket ;)

I have a Springfield XD9sc and love it. Currently using as my primary carry weapon. Great for most carry situations but I'm looking for a smaller single stack pistol for summertime carry here in SC. The XD is a little heavy and bulky when wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

The LC9 does not seem to get as good of reviews but seems to be a pretty popular pistol, not looking for a pocket pistol really but I am curious about the recoil on the LC9. M&Ps are a little pricey but if I could find a used one I might look more into it.

Just bought a smith and wesson m&p 9mm full size last month. Paid 500 brand new with spare mag, and have heard that it is one of few guns that carry a full lifetime warrenty and that IF something should go wrong they have excellent customer service. I was looking into the walther p99 but the dealer said that the walther is made by smith and wesson in america and the smith and wesson m&p is the sister gun but 150 cheaper. Love the choice I made and was able to spend the money I saved on extra ammo to practice with.

Does your M&P have a safety? I know alot of people hate safeties but I want a gun that has one I can always decide not to use it later. I do like the lifetime warranty but Springfield and Taurus offer it as well and there might be others.

Link RemovedWell how much are you planning on spending? The xd is good but I personally have the problem of not being able to shoot when my pinky finger is hanging in the middle of nowhere, if you have the same problem I might suggest the berreta px 4 compact, or if price isn't an issue then Sig Sauer makes the P239 carry gun. I carry that myself and love it, it is a little heavy no idea how many rounds it carries in 9mm or how many rounds the px 4 either but they are very nice firearms. This also depends on how big your hands are test the grip on both of them if available to get a feel for them.

I have a Glock 17 and an XDsc9 and I prefer the XD it just fits me better and conceals pretty well. Glocks and XD's both have the reputation of going bang when you need them to and that is the bottom line.

@G50AE why r u so hungup on glock, that's all u talk about, every thread i read about u is glock this or glock that,,, it's all u know, like u don't know anything else about guns! a glock is a piece of crap gun for the newbie inexperienced gunners like yourself!

My EDC is a XD9SC. It has 2.5K rounds of all sorts of ammo and has yet to have any malfunction at all. Most reliable gun I have ever owned.

I really hate when people say ignore everything else and get a glock. I will need to go to the range to test out the XD and the SR9 and see what I like and that is how I will decide since they both have lots of fan support. Thanks to almost everyone for your help.

Got my Lc9 in my pocket everyday, just love it. No more uncomfy than my celly in the pocket ;)
I have been looking at the Ruger LC 9 & now i carry the Ruger LCP 380 but people keep telling me i need more power than what the LCP has. I also have been looking at the Glock's 26 & 27 but i still don't know what i am going to get if any thing.

LC9 is definitely intriguing but it seems to get a lot of mixed reviews, some people just have lots of problems with this gun, anyone here know anything?

I believe the LC9 shares the same epically long trigger pull with it's smaller cousin but they have also added a manual safety and a mag disconnect. The later is disliked by many.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back