First AR-15 experience

srshadwi

Shot my first AR-15 this week. I was home visiting my family and an old friend of mine took me out to the range to help him sight in his new scope for the weapon he has been building. Can't remember the last time I had that much fun.

Now I'm going to have to get my own. . .

Take your time, read massive amounts of information on the AR/15 platform. There are many forums dedicated tot he AR/15?M4 platform and many configurations that may be of your desire. Here are some tips:

1. what do you want this AR to do for you ? Long range, short range, both or a comprimise between the two ?

2. What configuation ? M4 ? M16 ? SPR ? What are goals with this rifle and how does it fill your needs overall ?

3. Mill Spec or National Match type configuration ? Do you want this rifle to just plink ammo or do you want it to put out sub MOA at range or both if possible ?

4. Home defense ? Maybe not, but a shorty with light frangible ammo might the ticket if your stuck on stupid.

5. What grade of AR do you desire ? Mil Spec, commercial, match grade, varmint etc ?

6. What type of dope are you expecting to use ??? Just anything that's in the Wal Mart shelves or hand loads with specific match grade ammunition ?

7. Or, are you just another AR fanatic that wants whatever is on the shelf in the local FFL that fits your budget ???

Take your time, read massive amounts of information on the AR/15 platform. There are many forums dedicated tot he AR/15?M4 platform and many configurations that may be of your desire. Here are some tips:

1. what do you want this AR to do for you ? Long range, short range, both or a comprimise between the two ?

2. What configuation ? M4 ? M16 ? SPR ? What are goals with this rifle and how does it fill your needs overall ?

3. Mill Spec or National Match type configuration ? Do you want this rifle to just plink ammo or do you want it to put out sub MOA at range or both if possible ?

4. Home defense ? Maybe not, but a shorty with light frangible ammo might the ticket if your stuck on stupid.

5. What grade of AR do you desire ? Mil Spec, commercial, match grade, varmint etc ?

6. What type of dope are you expecting to use ??? Just anything that's in the Wal Mart shelves or hand loads with specific match grade ammunition ?

7. Or, are you just another AR fanatic that wants whatever is on the shelf in the local FFL that fits your budget ???

+1 good thoughts Ropadope!

When I built mine I sat down and decided I wanted a small light weight CQB style carbine. A practical SHTF rifle that would be durable and still accurate out to 400 yards.

So I build a flattop carbine with a 16" chrome lined ultra lightweight barrel and 6 position stock. I've been nothing but impressed with this rifle!

DSC01592.jpg

My friend built his for three-gun competition. I think I would like to get involved in those competitions as well, so my build would be similar to his. I don't think I'm any kind of "fanatic" but I bet I will drop quite a bit on the AR because it will be a lot of fun. My friend is a FFL gunsmith so I will probably defer to him for advice since I'm pretty green when it comes to these weapons.

Thanks for the tips.

Steve

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back