FireArm Transitioning?

Malakai Christoff

When your traveling and entering or exiting a state in which your CWP may or may not be honored what is your most common transition from armed to un armed or vis versa? For example, upto this point I would cross the state line, pull over at a parking lot somewhere, retrieve my weapon from the trunk & arm myself right there & go about my business following the same pattern returning. Recently thats drawn some unwanted attention and I was wondering what are some other common methods used?

One mistake at the wrong time and in the wrong place can really be a problem. I carry a nice cannister of bear spray and a stun, which may or may not be a problem state to state but will certainly be less of a problem than moving a loaded or unloaded friearm around. I just think you are asking for a big headache when travelling and many replies tend to say that, unless you are sure that the states you are going to/from are consistent with your CCWP.

I keep it locked in a gun vault under the driver's seat - still pull over to rearm, but it's much less obvious! It can still be in "transport mode" as long as it's locked, and you can retrieve a magazine from the trunk without drawing the attention that the gun might get.

Correct me if im wrong, but you should pull over and transition in the state your covered by before entering the hostile state. You wouldn't want an unlawful possession charge 2 miles in.

momstar:252034 said:
I keep it locked in a gun vault under the driver's seat - still pull over to rearm, but it's much less obvious! It can still be in "transport mode" as long as it's locked, and you can retrieve a magazine from the trunk without drawing the attention that the gun might get.
This is a good one, never thought of reverse, ammo in the trunk, weapon locked up front. Thank You. I do use the Gunvault w/cable lock.

Correct me if im wrong, but you should pull over and transition in the state your covered by before entering the hostile state. You wouldn't want an unlawful possession charge 2 miles in.

Agree I would pull over and transition in the state your covered in, before going into the state your not covered in. That way it's not as big of a deal if you get spotted.
I'm very interested in seeing the responses to this!

eXGee11:252036 said:
Yes Sir, I only arm & disarm in the state in which my CWP is honored. Other than that, not till im safely on my property & in my driveway do I have any other contact with the Weapon.

When your traveling and entering or exiting a state in which your CWP may or may not be honored what is your most common transition from armed to un armed or vis versa? For example, upto this point I would cross the state line, pull over at a parking lot somewhere, retrieve my weapon from the trunk & arm myself right there & go about my business following the same pattern returning. Recently thats drawn some unwanted attention and I was wondering what are some other common methods used?

I put the gun in a gym bag or etc and place it in the trunk. Then I retrieve the bag from the trunk when ready to go and reverse the process. This is something that people make a big deal out of when it really isn't. OP: I'd also be curious where you drive to with a NJ permit since there aren't any states close to you that honor a NJ permit....

OP: I'd also be curious where you drive to with a NJ permit since there aren't any states close to you that honor a NJ permit....

The OP never specified that he had a NJ permit, or only a NJ permit. Although he did use the singular, implying that he had only one permit.

When I drove to California, I unloaded the gun, put the gun and the ammo in a case, locked the case, all while still in the passenger compartment; and then put the locked gun case in the far rear of the vehicle.

The OP never specified that he had a NJ permit, or only a NJ permit. Although he did use the singular, implying that he had only one permit.

When I drove to California, I unloaded the gun, put the gun and the ammo in a case, locked the case, all while still in the passenger compartment; and then put the locked gun case in the far rear of the vehicle.

Storing the gun and the ammo in the same case is illegal in some states.

Storing the gun and the ammo in the same case is illegal in some states.

If you are passing through a state, and that state is not an origin or destination, transporting the unloaded gun and ammo in the same case/compartment is legal in any state so long as neither the gun nor ammo is directly accessible from the passenger compartment; meaning locked in an external compartment or in a locked case if the vehicle does not have an external compartment. Source: 18 USC 926A (Federal law).

In California, ammo and unloaded gun in the same locked case is perfectly legal according to state law. Source: CA Highway Patrol, based on California Penal Code.

It requires making sure that all of your ducks are in a row before entering the next state. Somebody should make a smart phone app that utilizes updates and the GPS to warn about details of a state you are about to enter in case you have to make an unscheduled trip through a unplanned state. Thanksgiving trip required looking up the state laws about guns and also reviewing the stand your ground/castle laws to make sure that I could even defend myself if I had to and under what conditions. It makes the time pass by having whoever is in the passenger seat read the rules and everyone discuss.

I have a Utah NR CWP. My family and I travel quite a bit during the year on long weekends and usually atleast 1 full week a year and the next trip is in January.We have to go threw MD & SC so this will definetly be of some help. Ive already spoke with every State Police Barracks all the way to GA just to confirm Reciprocity or Not and their individual state requirements on FA transport.

If you are passing through a state, and that state is not an origin or destination, transporting the unloaded gun and ammo in the same case/compartment is legal in any state so long as neither the gun nor ammo is directly accessible from the passenger compartment; meaning locked in an external compartment or in a locked case if the vehicle does not have an external compartment. Source: 18 USC 926A (Federal law).

In California, ammo and unloaded gun in the same locked case is perfectly legal according to state law. Source: CA Highway Patrol, based on California Penal Code.

Sec. 927. Effect on State law

No provision of this chapter shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of the Congress to occupy the field in which such provision operates to the exclusion of the law of any State on the same subject matter, unless there is a direct and positive conflict between such provision and the law of the State so that the two cannot be reconciled or consistently stand together.

In Oregon for example:

(F) Firearms must be stored unloaded. Firearms and ammunition must be stored in separate locked locations. Loaded firearms must never be carried in any vehicle while it is being used to transport an individual.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_400/oar_411/411_335.html

This is a good one, never thought of reverse, ammo in the trunk, weapon locked up front. Thank You. I do use the Gunvault w/cable lock.

Malakei I would make sure you are ok with the firearm in the front or do you mean in the back of your vehicle and even there I don’t think I’d feel safe. I feel your pain as you can see by my handle I share the same pain as you. My preferred method is always a revolver it is the easiest to load and unload since you are trying to do so quickly. When I get to my destination then I load up my SIG or Glock whichever I prefer to carry. I visit Virginia and neighboring PA a lot. Obviously PA is the easiest cross anyone of the three bridges and you’re free. To be honest VA. I wait till I get there because too many changes for me at least. Take 295 cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge to Delaware load up blink your eye and you’re in Maryland so I am pretty much screwed till I get to the VA. boarder. Just be careful because as you know it depends who stops you and what he/she knows about gun laws. Look at the man from Mount Laurel who was setup IMHO and what he went through. I have a Florida and Virginia CCW

Sec. 927. Effect on State law

No provision of this chapter shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of the Congress to occupy the field in which such provision operates to the exclusion of the law of any State on the same subject matter, unless there is a direct and positive conflict between such provision and the law of the State so that the two cannot be reconciled or consistently stand together.
In Oregon for example:

(F) Firearms must be stored unloaded. Firearms and ammunition must be stored in separate locked locations. Loaded firearms must never be carried in any vehicle while it is being used to transport an individual.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_400/oar_411/411_335.html

Notice the part I bolded above. The Oregon state law you posted is in direct conflict with the Federal law, and, therefore, the Federal law prevails.

Explanation: Federal law says that I have a right to transport a firearm through a state provided that neither the firearm nor ammunition is directly accessible from the passenger compartment, or absent an exterior compartment, provided that the firearm and ammunition is in a locked container.

Oregon state law states that I do not have the right to transport a firearm through Oregon unless the ammunition is in a separate container: a requirement which is not specified in Federal law. Therefore the Federal law nullifies that requirement in Oregon state law because of the conflict.

Don't believe me? Well, if that is true in Oregon, than we could simply take that one step further in a state like New York and simply further restrict the right to transport a firearm to those that obtain permits from the state to do so - and the state would only have to deny permits.

The very first words of the actaul statute in question, 18 USC 926A are: "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof". Notwithstanding means despite.

I do not travel or spend my money in any state that does not allow me to protect myself, CA, IL, NY come to mind, when I transition it will be from holster to pointed.

njsportsman:252315 said:

Malakei I would make sure you are ok with the firearm in the front or do you mean in the back of your vehicle and even there I don’t think I’d feel safe. I feel your pain as you can see by my handle I share the same pain as you. My preferred method is always a revolver it is the easiest to load and unload since you are trying to do so quickly. When I get to my destination then I load up my SIG or Glock whichever I prefer to carry. I visit Virginia and neighboring PA a lot. Obviously PA is the easiest cross anyone of the three bridges and you’re free. To be honest VA. I wait till I get there because too many changes for me at least. Take 295 cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge to Delaware load up blink your eye and you’re in Maryland so I am pretty much screwed till I get to the VA. boarder. Just be careful because as you know it depends who stops you and what he/she knows about gun laws. Look at the man from Mount Laurel who was setup IMHO and what he went through. I have a Florida and Virginia CCW
im thinking upfront with me under the seat locked in GunVault. I usually carry a Tuarus 605 wheel gun in 357 or G19 so the speed loader or mag change isnt to bad but retrieving the weapon is. We usually avoid MD completly unless we're staying there. We also take 295s over the DMB & get on 13 all the way into VA & then jump backover onto 95S...its extra gas & time but well worth avoiding the hassle of MDSP. If you ever want too shoot an IDPA,USPSA or 3Gun match let me know? I shoot at Range 14 Fort Dix/McGuire Base & South Jersey Shooting Club. Thanks for the input. Here are some Excellent sites for our state, very informative & mainstream for FA enthusiast like us: New Jersey Gun Forums(NJGF.com), New Jersey 2nd Amendmant Society (NJ2AS.com), New Jersey Concealed Carry Association (NJCCA.com). Im members of All of them, all are free & you can donate if you like. Another really good resource on current FA legislation in NJ & Intense Tactical Training by NRA Master Trainers,retired LE & Military is www.GunGorHire.com-Ive taken several of their classes & its ********* Outstanding! Eveything from NRA basic pistol & Shotgun upto Advanced CQC Force on Force Fixed Blade...check em out, their all on Facebook as well.

Yes I know of all those clubs and will join them. I did sign the New Jersey Concealed Carry Association petition though. I used to belong to South Jersey Shooting Club a little to rich for my rich for my blood right now but, I may join Fort Dix. How is the wait there I was there once and didn't have to wait long but, it was a cloudy rainy on/off kinda day and was told by the person who took me that this wasn't the norm. He said at times you wait hours to shoot. That is why i joined SJSC honestly I loved it there but is not in the budget at this time but, I need somewhere to go so, I am reconsidering Fort Dix for now can't beat the price but, the wait I can do without. I would love to get into competitive shooting. I have never done it and would love to get started but, first I need to get to a range full time. I still shoot at least every other week at ranges where you don't need membership like Bob's in Glassboro. I shoot a Taurus wheel gun as well but, the 617.

Range 14 is solid, I hunt on the land also. For $20 more they give you a hunting tag for the year. Ive already harvested 2 WT deer up there this year using a bow, the membership also gives you fishing & lake access in the summer for bbqs & swimming. Its the worst in the spring up there, between the hunters safety coarses & the muzzleloader crowd its usually packed in the a.m but by mid day after 12 your good. SJSC is really nice now,they opened up the action range for competition matches and put a large trailer in & built 2 new large buildings for classes, simunitions training & possibly an indoor range. Now theyre working on a 500yrd lane addition & bought 5 more acres adding to the total size. Competition matches are only $25 to the public & $20 for members. They literally have something going on every week, its amazing. GFH also has classes there...on NJGF my tag is (LibertyOrDeath), pm me a friends request & we'll connect.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back