Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville

Sorry, I have been down and out for awhile. Illness. I am doing much better now, back to 100%. Anyway, the things done wrong are: not having enough range safety people (2) for the number of students qualifying (50+ students per class). Giving the students an answer sheet to the written test before handing out the written test. Qualifying students on firearms proficiency though not having actually observed the student with the said type of firearm. On several occasions, the student did not have the firearm in possession to qualify with and the "instructor" entered that gun, usually revolvers, as having actually observed the qualification.

The instructor(s): Armed & Safe in Reno, NV

Definitely need more than two instructors on the shooting range with a group that size. Giving the answers to the written test is wrong too. In our class, Mike went over the questions as he taught the course and each answer had an explanation to go with it. He did not simply rattle off the questions and answers.

Signing off on qualifications without watching the student shoot is bad and Washoe County Sheriiff Dept. can revoke teaching privileges.

The Washoe County Sherifs office will not act. The NRA won't act.
My wife took the Armed and Safe CCW course in May of 2008. After completing the morning class jammed into the back of a pizza shop and a multi level marketing travel agent speech the test was passed out. The correct answers were nicely BOLDED for easy "reading" and it was never corrected before moving to the range. Upon arrival at the range my wife shot 24 rnds from the 45 and 18 from the 6 shot revolver and was told the was fine without scoring the target and another student was promptly moved onto her target, the same target she shot on, and qualified. Kelly was no where to be found only her husband Alan who at the time did not posess the qualifications to be running the range or signing off. Kelly handed her the certificate for NV and a NRA Basic Pistol Coure certificate. The NV CCW class does not meet the requirements for the NRA 10hr Basic Pistol Course. She should know this as she is a Training Counselor, the one who trains the NRA instructors. I wonder how hard it was for her husband to get his instructors license with these lax teaching standards?
This was all reported officially to Washoe County and the NRA with nothing being done about it. It was filed as a written sworn statement. The paperwork and copies were forwarded to the NRA with no action.
To top it off these people are now at Scheels teaching.
Can anyone imagine what would happen if the anti's get ahold of information like this?

My wife took the Armed and Safe CCW course in May of 2008. After completing the morning class jammed into the back of a pizza shop and a multi level marketing travel agent speech the test was passed out. The correct answers were nicely BOLDED for easy "reading" and it was never corrected before moving to the range. Upon arrival at the range my wife shot 24 rnds from the 45 and 18 from the 6 shot revolver and was told the was fine without scoring the target and another student was promptly moved onto her target, the same target she shot on, and qualified. Kelly was no where to be found only her husband Alan who at the time did not posess the qualifications to be running the range or signing off. Kelly handed her the certificate for NV and a NRA Basic Pistol Coure certificate. The NV CCW class does not meet the requirements for the NRA 10hr Basic Pistol Course. She should know this as she is a Training Counselor, the one who trains the NRA instructors. I wonder how hard it was for her husband to get his instructors license with these lax teaching standards?
This was all reported officially to Washoe County and the NRA with nothing being done about it. It was filed as a written sworn statement. The paperwork and copies were forwarded to the NRA with no action.
Can anyone imagine what would happen if the anti's get ahold of information like this?

They taught the class in a pizza parlor? Unbelievable!

More and more, I am finding out that a lot of these Nevada CCW instructors are only in it for the money. It's sad to see that because people pay good money to take the CCW class.

Agreed.

While it is okay that some need to make a profit, professionalism is imperative.

I am in a very good and fortunate situation here. We only charge $80 (only $60 for club members) for the class. And no limit on the number of handguns with which you wish to qualfy. And the best part: Our DA is our instructor! I like to think we provide the best class inthe state.

Exactly.

CCW instructors should not cut corners when they teach their classes. The NSCA (I think that's the abbreviation.) has guidelines for them to follow, as we all know. If they fail to do that, they cheat the students out of what they are entitled to.

I don't expect to learn it all in the basic class. If instructors do it right, they can persuade students to take the defensive tactical handgun course after that. The students get the proper instruction they need and the instructors make money. Everybody wins. I'd be more than willing to do that.

gunrunner1911 is right on. I had forgotten about the Pizza class room, and the doubling and tripling up on target use. My colleague also filed a written complaint and nothing was done. Makes me wonder about the Sheriff's Office now.

Teaching at Scheels now, huh? That's just great (sarcasm)! I have never been comfortable shopping at Scheels since they opened. But that is another story.

gunrunner1911 is right on. I had forgotten about the Pizza class room, and the doubling and tripling up on target use. My colleague also filed a written complaint and nothing was done. Makes me wonder about the Sheriff's Office now.

Teaching at Scheels now, huh? That's just great (sarcasm)! I have never been comfortable shopping at Scheels since they opened. But that is another story.

I seem to remember that they even come to California to teach the Utah CCW class. I can imagine the amount of people they cram into those classes. At least, there is no live fire requirement.

I am coming to Nevada this weekend. My bro and I wanted to add a couple of handguns to our permits, but our instructor is going to be out of town. I don't know when I am going to be able to come back, so I would like to care of this soon.

Are there any instructors in the Carson City/Gardnerville area that will do CCW permit gun addtiions on the weekends?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back