Firearm theft Firearm theft

che

Does it scare the crap out of you ?!?

And what methods are you using to prevent it?

Im from Mass. and we have a law that requires us to lock up firearms, ammo and reloading components.

Why do you ask? Do you not have a safe?

Yes it scares me. Just yesterday someone broke into a house locally and took longguns and handguns.
Yes I have a safe, but if you can break into a bank vault you can break into a gun safe.
Locks and safes only keep honest men honest.

I made a partition in my wall and my gun safe is hidden behind a painting. So to steal my guns you have to find the safe first.

It scares me mainly because my firearms are so precious to me and the thought of some D.Bag breaking in and cleaning me out is terrifying.

I'm sure you guys have had similar thoughts at some point or another. You hear the stories all the time of guys that get their houses broken into and get cleaned out

Yes it scares me. Just yesterday someone broke into a house locally and took longguns and handguns.
Yes I have a safe, but if you can break into a bank vault you can break into a gun safe.
Locks and safes only keep honest men honest.
A safe and an actively monitored alarm work very well. No time to break into the safe with the alarm blasting.

I live in a rural area where there are no neighbors to hear an alarm. Last year on may 19 my home was broken into. My Browning safe put up a good fight and won but unfortunately my cannon safe gave up 13 long guns, 2 pistols and a laptop computer. Please don't think just any old safe is really safe. I lost alot of family history that day because it would never happen to me, and I tried to save a dollar. I now know the meaning of priceless. Spend the money buy a quality gun safe.

A safe is no good if you do not bolt it to the floor from the inside. A heavy full safe is very easy to move by just one guy with a hand truck. I have moved full safes many times on jobs that customers say "it cant be moved". So BOLT it to the ground and for extra securety bolt it to the wall from the inside also.

I live in a rural area where there are no neighbors to hear an alarm. Last year on may 19 my home was broken into. My Browning safe put up a good fight and won but unfortunately my cannon safe gave up 13 long guns, 2 pistols and a laptop computer. Please don't think just any old safe is really safe. I lost alot of family history that day because it would never happen to me, and I tried to save a dollar. I now know the meaning of priceless. Spend the money buy a quality gun safe.

Hey! Guess what I do for a living? Sell gun safes! Well, I don't actually sell them, I do other stuff like writing and social media. But you are correct, Sir. I wouldn't outright say it in the course of my employment, but you get what you pay for. Go with a big name. And at a place like ours (GunSafes.com) you can seriously just call up or open a chat window and Josh will outright tell you what the most secure safe is. I think there's still one or two companies out there that will also replace the safe AND its contents if it's ever broken in to.

Also, like che said, you can't steal it if you can't find it. There's wall safes, floor safes, even this "Bed Bunker" that replaces your boxspring. There's also safes with re-lockers, so if someone pries the door or tries to drill the lock, another locking system engages. I have no earthly idea how you're supposed to get into your safe after something like that happens, but at least you'll still have your guns.

I bought a Fort Knox safe. It took a hunk out of my savings but if your going to buy a safe you need to get a really good one.
Not some thin metal box that two small boys can pick up and haul out of your home.

Lots of folks have safes (we do). Safes can be moved. Bolting down makes that difficult. Lighter safes can be forced.

I think the best approach is both the safe and the hidden guns.
Dad leaves his cheap stuff where it's easy to find, hides the nice ones.
Decentralize your resources. Assume you will be raided by a violent and hostile force (maybe when you're at home, maybe when you're not) and that you will lose whatever is in your house. Have a few resources elsewhere.

I thought you were in the CCW Badge business.

Well, I'm going to be involved with another project the owners are doing--the firearms sales. I'll try to convince them that we need to stock the badges next to the ammo and extra mags, but they might be reluctant. I already tried to convince the boss he needed to send me to a Massad Ayoob workshop, and he totally didn't buy it.

I have a small safe for the handguns but someone could steal the safe. I keep a few 22 rifles on a gun rack in my home office and the good ones like the AR's hidden in some very obscure places that I am sure nobody would look and trust me they are hidden well. Although I would gladly sacrifice the 22's I would still hate to have any stolen.

I had a .308 rifle stolen a about 2 years ago. Now I have a very large safe. It took four of us to get it in the house with a hand truck. We live on a rise. Now a couple of very large guys could get it out, but they would have to drop it in the bed of a truck. Probably break the springs.

Don't scrimp on something that holds your memories.

My secondary holds my CCW at night. (Oh...and my badge!:wacko:)

The safe I bought when I first bought my present home is both a monster and situated where it took two strong men, with a handtruck AND a couple of other moving aides almost an hour to get it in and set. I don't believe it will take unequiped thieves any less time to remove it.

On the other hand, the only time all of my guns are in that safe is when we go on vacation, and those that we don't take with us are locked up.

I'm retired, am usually around the house 80% of the time (with no "pattern" as to when I am NOT around) and keep a weapon sequestered in every room of the house (just in case) normally. Not only that, but my neighbor and I have a working arrangement to keep an eye out for each other's interests when one or the other of us is out of town.

I'm not too worried. (But..... Am I paranoid enough! LOL!)

GG

"Paranoia is merely a heightened state of awareness."

"It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you." :biggrin:

I'm with you. Being home, making the place look occupied when you're not, keeping an unpredictable schedule, this is all good. I live in a little rural logging & mill town. Everyone has at least some sort of hunting gun. There are always a few meth-heads around who will steal things if they are not watched. But nobody messes with an occupied house, because, well, everyone has at least some sort of hunting gun...

A safe is good, but being there is better.

I had several rifles, pistols stolen along with other things over 25 yrs ago when some thugs broke into our house while we were out of town over the weekend. I had a safe but it wasn't one of the better ones at the time but now I spent the money forone of the best and it's bolted to the floor in my walk-in closet in my bedroom. Spend the money now to protect your investments and save yourself the hassel later if you do happen to get broken into. It's one of the worst feelings to come home after some sorry low life thug has broke in and took stuff you spent your hard earn money for. Special after those thugs violated your personal space!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back