.22 LR
.22 Mag
.17 HMR
.410 Shotgun
20 Gauge Shotgun
12 Gauge shotgun
Blowdarts
Air Rifle

Blowdarts? Really? :ph34r: That's pretty cool. . . .

I was on very bad terms with the last 12 Gauge I shot . . . :blink: Believe it or not, I actually got bruised on the backside of my shoulder. . . either I'm a wuss, or I didn't do something right. . . And no, I didn't fall down. :jester:

Of rifles and shotguns, which do you prefer for rabbits?

I use a .22 rifle. Yummy in the crock pot or baked, but kind of tough fried. :smile:

Pressure cooker should work then? Do you brown it with anything first for the crock pot?

Thanks folks!

-Boomchick

Last edited:
I was on very bad terms with the last 12 Gauge I shot . . . :blink: Believe it or not, I actually got bruised on the backside of my shoulder. . . either I'm a wuss, or I didn't do something right. . . And no, I didn't fall down. :jester:

Of rifles and shotguns, which do you prefer for rabbits?

-Boomchick

You were probably not gripping the shotgun tight enough to your shoulder. It should transfer the recoil to your upper body, rather than take the blount force. Grip the gun tightly to your shoulder, put about 80% of your weight on the front foot, and pull the trigger. Otherwise, it'll pound your shoulder time & time again.

Shotgun vs. rifle for wabbits? I'd say shotgun unless 1) you're a crack shot or 2) the wabbits aren't running.

Pressure cooker should work then? Do you brown it with anything first for the crock pot?

Thanks folks!

-Boomchick

Pressure cooker would work great. I haven't browned it first, but you sure could--might try that next time. I usually just put it in with some potatoes/carrots/onion/etc. and cook it until it's tender. Every time I've tried to fry it, it just gets tough like rabbit jerky--still tasty, but man, it takes a lot of chewing! I have not tried any of these, but here's a fun selection of recipes: http://www.rabbithuntingonline.com/recipes/

Blowdarts? Really? :ph34r: That's pretty cool. . . .

Yep, just get it tight to your shoulder. One problem with shotguns if you are on the smaller side (like lots of ladies are) is the length of pull on many will be too long making it so you can't get it properly shouldered. I've shot 12 gauges that I had a blast with, and some that left me with nasty bruises out past my shoulder because they didn't fit right. Shot a 10 ga once and it knocked me a step back (note I only shot it once), but have had good times with 12 ga guns without too much of a beating as long as they fit right.

Also it depends on the loads you are shooting. Target loads are a lot easier on you than, for example, goose hunting loads.

You were probably not gripping the shotgun tight enough to your shoulder. It should transfer the recoil to your upper body, rather than take the blount force. Grip the gun tightly to your shoulder, put about 80% of your weight on the front foot, and pull the trigger. Otherwise, it'll pound your shoulder time & time again.

Shotgun vs. rifle for wabbits? I'd say shotgun unless 1) you're a crack shot or 2) the wabbits aren't running.

Nah, I had that dang gun snugged up very well and good weight distribution on my feet. Maybe placement on my shoulder? Dunno. . . Didn't have any bruising on the front of me. . . Just the backside of my shoulder. . . Maybe I didn't move with it enough?

+1 on the shotgun shooting stance. Many folks make the mistake of holding the shotgun improperly and not "leaning into it".

As for the wabbits, I could just imagine hunting them with the "GSG-5". Target acquisition is great and the ability to rapid fire is amazing. Would be a lot of fun, but I can imagine that I would be blowing a lot of ammo on a running wabbit!

For wabbits, I tend to favor my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #6 or #4 bird shot.

gf

Yep, just get it tight to your shoulder. One problem with shotguns if you are on the smaller side (like lots of ladies are) is the length of pull on many will be too long making it so you can't get it properly shouldered. Also it depends on the loads you are shooting. Target loads are a lot easier on you than, for example, goose hunting loads.

Another option for smaller build folks is shooting a "youth model". I have a 20 gauge Remington 870 express that's a youth model. Has a shorter stock and is easier to handle for most ladies and first time shooters. I've used this shotgun in high brush when hunting various game birds and on a couple of wild dog hunts. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot, though I sill prefer my Mossberg 500.

gf

Another option for smaller build folks is shooting a "youth model". I have a 20 gauge Remington 870 express that's a youth model. Has a shorter stock and is easier to handle for most ladies and first time shooters. I've used this shotgun in high brush when hunting various game birds and on a couple of wild dog hunts. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot, though I sill prefer my Mossberg 500.
gf

Youth model? Oh dear! It's been a while since I was a youth. . . But yeah, that's probably better for me since I'm 5'1" @ 117lbs.
-was a Mossberg 500 that bit me. . . hate that gun. :angry: I know that makes me very uncool and wussy, but oh well. I can see why you like it though. . .
And, I did lean into it. Swear! :happy:

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked out the Remington online and it looks alright. Cheap too. . ..

+1 on the youth model. I've shot Mossberg's youth model (505 I think) and it fit real nice--I'm 5'2". I've looked at the Remington before also, but not shot it--Thanks Glock Fan, for sharing your experience with it.

Youth model? Oh dear! It's been a while since I was a youth. . . But yeah, that's probably better for me since I'm 5'1" @ 117lbs.
-was a Mossberg 500 that bit me. . . hate that gun. :angry: I know that makes me very uncool and wussy, but oh well. I can see why you like it though. . .
And, I did lean into it. Swear! :happy:

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked out the Remington online and it looks alright. Cheap too. . ..

Nothing wrong with shooting a youth model shotgun. Like I stated earlier, I've used the 870 in high brush. I've also entered a couple of skeet competitions with the youth model. Some of the guys gave me grief until I started banging the clays and made them look bad. It's all a matter of personal choice. If the firearm is uncomfortable to shoot, then you have a few options. You can purchase a firearm that is comfortable to shoot, you can find a accessory like a "Limbsaver" that will make it more comfortable, or if you have a lot of time and money, you could get a "custom job" done.

I personally like my guns off the shelf, then accessorize as necessary. A custom gun is nice, but wouldn't be something that would suit my purposes.

Not all Mossberg 500 shotguns are bad. Mine has never bitten anyone. :wink:

gf

12 or 20 ga. with No. 6 shot, or a .22LR. If you'll be in a fairly open area where longer shots are possible, the "varminter" rounds will work well.

I prefer a 12 ga. pump, 870, 500, or my current Benelli SuperNova.

If you want meat for the pot a shotgun is your best bet, but if you want the thrill of the hunt try 22 rifle or pistol and if that is not challenging enough try a black powder shotgun or rifle or pistol. Rabbit hunting is great fun, be safe and good hunting.

A gas operated auto like a 1187 Remington, a Browning silver Hunter in a 20 gauge should work very good. No. 6 shot in light load. Wal Mart has very good deals on 1187's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Anyone hunt rabbits?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

In my opinion, I do not like to hunt rabbit with shot, and I hate shot in my rabbit meat. With this in mind, I have hunted rabbit using a .22 LR, .17 HMR, and a GAMO air rifle (not your daddy's air rifle... this thing shoots a round 1200 fps).

I found that in my backyard, I grab the air rifle. When I go out in the woods, the .22 usually comes with me. If I want an especially challenging hunt, I'll use the .17 at distances of 100-150 yards.

YMMV

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back