Firearm Purchases Are Stimulating The Economy

gdcleanfun

Banned
I think her words to be particularly poignant. Right on, Kathy! :yu:

"If You Bought a Gun This Week"

by Kathy Jackson

If you bought a gun this week, you're not alone. While exact figures aren't yet available, gun stores across the nation reported record-breaking sales in the days following the national election.

Celebrate the Good. Gun owners this week have done more to spur the national economy than all the planners of stimulus checks ever hoped for. That's good for the economy and good for retailers and good for manufacturers ... and it frightens the anti-firearms brigade. What more could you want out of life? True to form, some crotchety types are already griping about the positive news that a lot of people are buying guns. Get over it, guys. The surge in gun ownership is a good thing. You think the politicians aren't watching the numbers? Those people live and die by the numbers! Welcome the new gun owners. They may well be our salvation.

lol. Help the economy, "Do the right thing, buy a gun!" I did my part and still doing it! Going gun shopping this weekend:wink:

The good thing if there is one about the Obama win is it has perhaps woke up some to the dangers that he presents to our country and our freedoms. It is also as said temporarily helping those in the gun industry because all of the present buying. The long run of course is most likely it will hurt the industry because of the draconian laws that will be passed while he is in office.

Lots of first time gun owners!

I am seeing lots of first time gun owners at my favorite shops. Yhis has gotta be good for the local economy as well. Crime will start going down when the BG's figure out that there likelyhood of getting greased in a home invasion just doubled.

Article today in the Orlando Sentinel says as much - record gun sales (and carry permit applications) just prior to and immediately after the election. Reasons include possible new higher taxes on gun and ammo purchases and more restrictive ownership laws. I think this is sending a very ominous message to our new CIC. If there is any insurrection, it will be by a very well-armed populace. And we won't be carrying Saturday night specials and zip guns, either.

I did my part! I picked up a new Mossberg 500 persuader last weekend and just sent in an order for enough components to load up ~1700 rounds of ammo.

I was talking to one of the girls at the local shop I visit and she said they sold in 4 days what they normally sale in a month.

Article today in the Orlando Sentinel says as much - record gun sales (and carry permit applications) just prior to and immediately after the election. Reasons include possible new higher taxes on gun and ammo purchases and more restrictive ownership laws. I think this is sending a very ominous message to our new CIC. If there is any insurrection, it will be by a very well-armed populace. And we won't be carrying Saturday night specials and zip guns, either.

Was it this article?
Link Removed

Yep! That's the article. The title in my paper was "To gun shops, Obama is a shot in the arm." Don't believe for one second that the president-elect and his staff has not noticed this. The Secret Service is about to get really busy...I hope they have taken their vitamins.

I am glad people have had the foresight to plan ahead. I do not want to see any sort of gun ban, but I would truly hate to see people that want to protect themselves not be able to buy the tools necessary to accomplish this. At least we all already have those tools. Now many others do as well.

I stimulated the economy by buying a DPMS AR the week prior to the election, 200 rounds of 5.56 ammo the day of the election, and 2 extra 30 round magazines the week after the election.

A review of a few quotes might be in order. There are of course many more.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams,

When firearms go, all goes - we need them every hour. -- George Washington.

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. --- Thomas Jefferson in "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege. -- Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them. -- Thomas Paine, Writings of Thomas Paine at 56 (1894)

God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it. -- Daniel Webster, in a speech on 3 June, 1834

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. -- Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -- George Washington

without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms. -- Andrew Ford

Buy American. There are lots of great guns manufactured in the US. Guns are one of the few things that are actually still made in the US. Take a look at Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Springfield 1911, Mossberg.

Not only are we providing jobs to Americans, but if we don't buy American, soon guns (like most other things) will be Made in China and quality will be out the window.

Buy American. There are lots of great guns manufactured in the US. Guns are one of the few things that are actually still made in the US. Take a look at Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Springfield 1911, Mossberg.

Not only are we providing jobs to Americans, but if we don't buy American, soon guns (like most other things) will be Made in China and quality will be out the window.

Nothing wrong with guns being made in China. Norinco makes and excellent AK-47 as well as 1911. As for Korea, Daewoo made one hell of a AR-15.

I won't buy a gun simply because it's made in the U.S. There are several determining factors when purchasing a firearm. I happen to like my Ruger hunting rifle, but don't like the Ruger pistols. I like my Mossberg shotgun, and will probably be picking up another in the next couple of months. I do have an issue with companies like "Colt" and "S&W" due to the "anti-citizen" deals they made with the feds.

I am looking into purchasing a "Hi-Point" in either 9mm or .40 s&w just for the sake of having a U.S. made firearm for under $200. :biggrin:

gf

The saying, "Buy American" means little. The US and the world have become an integrated economy and marketplace. The trying times on Wall Street bear that out when the reverberations are felt around the world. Too, many items are made elsewhere that we might normally associate with "being manufactured in America." My Chevy Silverado 1-ton Dually pickup truck was made in Canada. My Chevy LUV truck was manufactured in Japan and assembled here in the USA. Hondas and Toyotas are both manufactured here in the mainland. I'm supposing that it is the same thing with pistols or other firearms as it is with many electronics. Quality is often there where it once wasn't. Don't mistake where something is made with keeping the economy, here at home or even abroad, afloat.

Nothing wrong with guns being made in China. Norinco makes and excellent AK-47 as well as 1911. As for Korea, Daewoo made one hell of a AR-15.

I won't buy a gun simply because it's made in the U.S. There are several determining factors when purchasing a firearm. I happen to like my Ruger hunting rifle, but don't like the Ruger pistols. I like my Mossberg shotgun, and will probably be picking up another in the next couple of months. I do have an issue with companies like "Colt" and "S&W" due to the "anti-citizen" deals they made with the feds.

I am looking into purchasing a "Hi-Point" in either 9mm or .40 s&w just for the sake of having a U.S. made firearm for under $200. :biggrin:

gf

+1. My main carry gun is an HK. My other auto's are Walther, Sig and Glock. As far as revolvers all of them are Colt or Smith. My main concern when it comes to firearms is to get the very best I can. There are areas and things I might scrimp on. Firearms is not one of them.

Firearm purchases

Great job of research, HK4U. I have done my part this month. First, I purchased a Springfield XD-45 to replace the old Firestar M-45 for which I can no longer buy parts or even get an owner's manual. Today, I began the process to purchase a Ruger 10-22 at Wal*Mart. Due to the number of people puchasing guns, the process for the background check is experiencing delays. Last time I purchased a gun, the whole procedure took about fifteen minutes and I walked out of the store with my gun. When I purchased my Springfield, the background check was delayed by 24 hours due to heavy traffic. They told me at W*M that it could take up to three days for the background check to come back. To the guy who was talking about American made guns and included the Springfield 1911, examine the seal of Springfield Armory closely. You will see the word 'Croatia' quite clearly. It is still a fantastic weapon and has a lifetime gurantee. Don't feel singled out if you go to buy a gun and it takes a day or two, the staff doing the background checks is swamped since Osama, oops, Obama was elected.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted McCain!

What I'm curious about is the percentage of these sales that are by first time buyers/owners. This interests me because, while every gun sale is a good thing, only sales to first time buyers/owners increases the number of gun owners in this country, and thus, increases our strength in numbers.

I know of at least a dozen first time gun buyers here in PRHI (former students). There will be at least a dozen more by next weekend.

gf

I've done my part. I just ordered 4 AR lowers. But even better is I finally got two of my friends into guns again. One of them bought an AR and an HK USP last week along with a bunch of other stuff for about $3800. Then we went back a couple days later and he bought us 3 cases of .223 ammo, $1500. He's like Luke, what kind of hobby did you get me addicted to! :thank_you2:

And I have to say, we went to Shoot Straight in Tampa yesterday to pick his guns up and shoot. We got there at 10:10AM and they open at 10AM. I had to park all the way in the back. I've never seen that store so busy. And I've been there about 4-5 times this past week and each time I see more and more firearms missing off the walls.

The saying, "Buy American" means little. The US and the world have become an integrated economy and marketplace. The trying times on Wall Street bear that out when the reverberations are felt around the world. Too, many items are made elsewhere that we might normally associate with "being manufactured in America." My Chevy Silverado 1-ton Dually pickup truck was made in Canada. My Chevy LUV truck was manufactured in Japan and assembled here in the USA. Hondas and Toyotas are both manufactured here in the mainland. I'm supposing that it is the same thing with pistols or other firearms as it is with many electronics. Quality is often there where it once wasn't. Don't mistake where something is made with keeping the economy, here at home or even abroad, afloat.

True. Just one example is Heckler & Koch with a factory in Georgia.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back