Firearm LTC Permit info and links

Massachusetts is listed as a "MAY ISSUE" state
Local chiefs MAY ISSUE a permit at their discretion

Mass Homepage for Firearms laws
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopstop...istration+&+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services

Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions
Link Removed

License to Carry: Class A or B - Resident
Link Removed

License to Carry: Class A or B - Non-Resident
Link Removed

Link Removed
Non-Residents Carrying Firearms: Pistol or Revolver

Link Removed
Non-Residents Carrying Firearms: Rifle or Shotgun

Link Removed
Large Capacity Weapon or Feeding Device

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle
Link Removed

Approved Firearms Roster October 2007
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssub...ervices&L3=Approved+Weapons+Rosters&sid=Eeops

Last edited:
States issued FID/LTC application form
Link Removed

some police departments refuses to accept that ( like Boston ),
instead they have their own on their website
or you must pick-up in person at police station

Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Website
http://www.masschiefs.org/

List of Massachusetts Cities and Towns Police Departments Link
http://www.masshome.com/police.html

For a Concealed License/permit, you must apply to the chief of police in the city/town you live in.
or that you have a Business in.

Class A allows FULL CARRY/CONCEALED CARRY

Class B , allows carrying only on your premises,
or UNLOADED, LOCKED in a container, and separated from ammo in a vehicle

Issuing agency has been known to RESTRICT Class A-LTC
eg: Target and Hunting Only
or Sporting
or Work Only
so a restricted LTC does NOT allow Concealed carry, but it allows you to purchase Large Capacity weapons and any other weapons legal on the AG list or thats not banned

___

Last edited:
It's worth noting that NON RESIDENT Class -A licenses are apparently Shall Issue. If you have a home state license, and jump through the hoops, the Mass. State Police will issue you a license. I have never heard of any non resident being denied. It is just too lucrative a cash cow

I personally have renewed my Class-A license 4 times. For those who don't know, the non resident license is $100.00 and only good for 1 year.

non-resident LTC

Caldwelljoe,

I am from Ny and just got my application for MA non-res.

based on your experience, can you give me any advice for filling out the 'reason for carry' section?

Thanks.

Caldwelljoe,

I am from Ny and just got my application for MA non-res.

based on your experience, can you give me any advice for filling out the 'reason for carry' section?

Thanks.
Do you have a NY license ?
or any other NR license ?
you must have a license already to get a MA NR LTC
maybe you can get a Florida or Utah NR permit and then apply for MA
NH is like MA, for NH N-R, you need to already have a license/permit from anywhere, homestate or N-R will do for NH
not 100% sure about MA accepting N-R licenses

Tenter, I just put "Protection of Life and Property".

Thanks for your reply. If it worked for you, I will use that. It is going to take me some time; I have to take an approved firearms course and get a doc from the Bureau of Criminal Records showing that I am not a criminal, as well as all the fingerprinting.

Do you have a NY license ?
or any other NR license ?
you must have a license already to get a MA NR LTC
maybe you can get a Florida or Utah NR permit and then apply for MA
NH is like MA, for NH N-R, you need to already have a license/permit from anywhere, homestate or N-R will do for NH
not 100% sure about MA accepting N-R licenses

Castle Doctrine

Massachusetts is a Castle Doctrine state

Link Removed

Chapter 278: Section 8A. Killing or injuring a person unlawfully in a dwelling; defense

Section 8A. In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.
Castle Doctrine in the US - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Castle Doctrine refers to a legal concept derived from English Common Law as it is presently applied in sections of the United States of America. It designates one's home as a place in which one enjoys protections from both prying and violent attack. In the United States, laws informally referred to as 'castle laws' can sometimes impose an obligation to retreat before using force to defend oneself. The Castle Doctrine provides for an exception to this duty. Provided one is attacked in their own home, vehicle, or place of business, in jurisdictions where 'castle laws' are in force, one may stand their ground against an assailant without fear of prosecution.

The opposite of a "castle" principle is the "Duty to Retreat", which is the case in most U.S. Northeastern states, such as Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts (where Castle Doctrine takes effect only within the confines of the 'dwelling'). Castle Doctrine laws in the U.S. are sometimes referred to as the "use of deadly force" [1] or "no retreat" laws, and originate in the home, but are sometimes (depending on the state) extended to the automobile or the business or any place where one has a legal right to be (a campground or park, for example).

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back