Firearm limit

Graylon

As long as we have a conceal license can we have or travel with as many fire arms as we can carry? Or is there a limit? I haven't seen a law for this but if someone knows something I don't know I want to be legal.

As long as we have a conceal license can we have or travel with as many fire arms as we can carry? Or is there a limit? I haven't seen a law for this but if someone knows something I don't know I want to be legal.

carry? how are you carrying? concealed on your person? locked in a box in your cars trunk while traveling?
too many variables

The answer to this is dependent on which state you're in. Some states don't care how many you carry, while some limit you and even make you tell them which guns you carry.

Always consult your state laws. You mention that you have a concealed carry license. Usually, the same law that defines the concealed carry license also defines any restrictions. Look up your state at Handgunlaw.us and check out the your state's code on this issue. In my state, Tennessee, it is 39-17-1351. There are no restrictions on the number of handguns or on how they are carried in Tennessee. This may be different in another state.

The answer to this is dependent on which state you're in. Some states don't care how many you carry, while some limit you and even make you tell them which guns you carry.

in some places things are even worse than this.
not only do some places make you disclose which guns that you carry, some states make you qualify on each weapon that you want to carry, ie; if you qualified on a .38 revolver you will need to qualify again if you buy and want to carry a 9mm semi auto.
some locations make you ask for permission for each handgun that you'd like to buy, and then there are some places only let you buy 1 handgun every 30 days.

not only do some places make you disclose which guns that you carry, some states make you qualify on each weapon that you want to carry, ie; if you qualified on a .38 revolver you will need to qualify again if you buy and want to carry a 9mm semi auto.
some locations make you ask for permission for each handgun that you'd like to buy, and then there are some places only let you buy 1 handgun every 30 days.
That's pretty awful, didn't realize some of that, I will Def make sure I research it completely if I move to a different state, I will not comply with all that bs.

In California we can buy State approved firearms and in the case of handguns, one every 30 days. That may apply to long guns too, I'm not sure. The CCW in Sacramento County allows 3 handguns to be carried, for which we must qualify for in a shooting test and each is noted with it's serial number on the CCW. I also have both UT and AZ CCW's which do not indicate which firearms I carry. At the end of the day, I carry my Sig 1911 which in my humble opinion is a time proven and reliable hand gun.

I believe in having two weapons on me... I was reading a forum and I believe California they can't have more than 10 rounds in a clip. I'm like what is the point of limiting someone's safety. Then I started to wonder if there was a limit of how many weapons we could carry at a time. My license is out of arkansas and I haven't seen a limit. But I have heard state troopers give some people very bad and illegal advice about conceal carry laws. I was wondering there was somewhere is I could the whole thing. I think I have it now.

The major thing that sucks about these laws is these only affect the law abiding citizens. A criminal is going to do what he or she wants no matter if it's carry 10 bullets or 25 or 38 special or a fully auto mack 10.

I believe in having two weapons on me...

Make sure you know what you are doing. Carrying more that one handgun doesn't make you any safer if you don't have the knowledge and training to use them. For example, how are you going to carry these two entirely depends on why are you carrying two. Some people carry one at 4-o'clock and one at 12-o'clock. This allows easy access to the one carried at 12-o'clock while driving and to the one carried at 4-o'clock while ducking and taking cover. In contrast, ankle carry is typically for backup guns.

I was reading a forum and I believe California they can't have more than 10 rounds in a clip. I'm like what is the point of limiting someone's safety. Then I started to wonder if there was a limit of how many weapons we could carry at a time.

Just being the firearm language Nazi here: It's a magazine, not a clip. A clip (or stripper clip) may be used to load a magazine, typically in a rifle, like the Mosin Nagant.

My license is out of arkansas and I haven't seen a limit. But I have heard state troopers give some people very bad and illegal advice about conceal carry laws. I was wondering there was somewhere is I could the whole thing. I think I have it now.

Don't listen to law enforcement about the law. They are actually legally permitted to lie to you for the purpose of an investigation. Make sure you understand your state's law. Also, municipalities sometimes have separate laws about carrying a firearm. Some states allow municipalities to have these additional laws, some not. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arkansas.pdf is a good starting point. Arkansas has a State Preemption law under 14-16-504.

You also want to specifically train for both guns if you carry 2. Also manual of arms is something to think about, might be nice to have both guns to have the same type of controls so that the muscle memory doesn't change depending on which gun you're drawing. For example my M&P 40c has the same controls and manual of arms as my backup M&P Shield 40.

Make sure you know what you are doing. Carrying more that one handgun doesn't make you any safer if you don't have the knowledge and training to use them. For example, how are you going to carry these two entirely depends on why are you carrying two. Some people carry one at 4-o'clock and one at 12-o'clock. This allows easy access to the one carried at 12-o'clock while driving and to the one carried at 4-o'clock while ducking and taking cover. In contrast, ankle carry is typically for backup guns.

Just being the firearm language Nazi here: It's a magazine, not a clip. A clip (or stripper clip) may be used to load a magazine, typically in a rifle, like the Mosin Nagant.

Don't listen to law enforcement about the law. They are actually legally permitted to lie to you for the purpose of an investigation. Make sure you understand your state's law. Also, municipalities sometimes have separate laws about carrying a firearm. Some states allow municipalities to have these additional laws, some not. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arkansas.pdf is a good starting point. Arkansas has a State Preemption law under 14-16-504.
Thanks for the advice

You also want to specifically train for both guns if you carry 2. Also manual of arms is something to think about, might be nice to have both guns to have the same type of controls so that the muscle memory doesn't change depending on which gun you're drawing. For example my M&P 40c has the same controls and manual of arms as my backup M&P Shield 40.

The two that I carry do have the same controls. The biggest difference is one is a full size gun and the other is a sub compact. The sub compact is double action only.... I agree there is a lot I have to learn. Right now I'm learning through books and going to ranges and getting familiar with terms. Everything yall are saying in this forum I research. For me I really try to be comfortable.

hDB8FD0E3

NRA-ILA | Glossary

CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

THIS is an ammunition magazine:
bases-p329.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back