Fingerprinting for CCW

Swinokur

When you submit your prints to obtain your CCW (if printing is required) are the prints entered into the FBI database or just compared to make sure you have no criminal record?

Thanks,

Stu

I would believe its a complete check, someone with more info will chime in here .alot of info here.I'm new here too

But your question does raise OTHER questions lol

From my knowledge of the process for California the finger prints are to confirm ID. If you have a California permit there is a CII number on your permit. This CII number is your "RAP sheet" number for CALIFORNIA. Once you have a Cali permit you have a RAP sheet! You criminal. In Cali the fingerprints are captured by LiveScan. These are always accessible by any agency.

For Utah my understanding is that the paper copy of the records are for ID and for the state's records.

If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would bet on the prints being sent to the FBI - "for background check".
Logically, they - the FBI - has to have a copy for tracking/comparison purposes. JMHO :pleasantry:

From what I understand, most agencies don't keep records of your prints for identification purposes (as in pre-employment checks and CC permit applications). The fingerprints are sent to the FBI for comparison to their database of prints that they do have on file (mostly folks with a criminal record, and in rare cases persons with certain job vocations). If the prints don't match any in the criminal database (booking fingerprints as well as unknown prints found at crime scenes), then the FBI informs the requesting agency that there is no criminal record.

Hope this helps.

gf

In Arizona they are kept in the data base to be used later. One crime was solved in AZ using the prints from the cc application. I don't think its right that an honest person must submit his fingerprints.

Glock Fan

If you were in the military your fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Again, I would bet everytime the FBI gets a print without a match it is kept on file for future reference. That is just logical.
Don't you watch CSI(s)?? How could they possibly solve those crimes week after week if there wasn't such a database. :biggrin:

Glock Fan

If you were in the military your fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Again, I would bet everytime the FBI gets a print without a match it is kept on file for future reference. That is just logical.
Don't you watch CSI(s)?? How could they possibly solve those crimes week after week if there wasn't such a database. :biggrin:

I went and read the FBI web site. They compare the card to the criminal database. You are not entered into it. They tell the requestor that there is either a record or no record. The FBI then files the card at their fingerprint center in WV.

If I had Googled before I posted I would have known this. sorry

Stu

I don't think that one should have to provide their Social Security Number either.

One doesn't necessarily. Most of the apps I've seen from different states say "supplying SS# is optional"....granted I havent seen ALL the states apps...:no:

If the prints don't match any in the criminal database (booking fingerprints as well as unknown prints found at crime scenes), then the FBI informs the requesting agency that there is no criminal record.

....and then adds your prints to the database so they will have a big brother record on you.

Jim Brown
ALIAS: Glockfan
DOB: 12/12/1212
ADDRESS: 123 main st.
SSN: 123-12-1343
GUNS OWNED:

It is my understanding that prints are forwarded electronically to the FBI for your background check, also a check against NCIC (NATIONAL CRIME INFORAMTION CENTER) is performed. Also a check of Counties/States you lived in for local wants and warrants.
A full data base has been assembled over the years to accommodate all that are surrendered. My latest prints was done on a scanner. The Tech. at the detention Center(Charleston County only prints at the jail) ask if I wanted them emailed to the investigating authority or just wanted them printed. The Email is scrambled and secure. Only LEO offices with the network can receive.
Hate to break it you but you now have a file IF you didn't have one before. I was active duty (1), work armored car carrying FED deposit money (2) and filed for a CWP (3) over the years.

Big Brothers been here for a while...........Just can't correlate date worth a SH*T

On the SC application, there is a space for your Social Security number. However you do not, and should not fill it in. Under the concealed carry permit law the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is authorized to collect certain information. Your Social Security Number is not on the list of information that SLED is authorized to collect. This means that they do not need, should not get, and are not authorized to have your Social Security Number.

Supplying your SSN is optional for the Utah CFP. During the instructor's class, the question was raised as to if there was a benefit of supplying your SSN. The BCI personnel teaching the class informed us that it is optional, and won't delay your CFP if you don't supply it, however it may expedite your CFP processing if you have a common name.

gf

In WA, they scan on an electronic finger printing machine and it's submitted digitally. (ha ha...)
I would guess the FBI would keep it on file.

P.S. Using a Freedom of Information Act request, you can actually request to see what the FBI has on file about yourself, if anything.

I went and read the FBI web site. They compare the card to the criminal database. You are not entered into it. They tell the requestor that there is either a record or no record. The FBI then files the card at their fingerprint center in WV.

If I had Googled before I posted I would have known this. sorry

Stu

They are filed in the FBI center under G for "Gun owner" :sarcastic:

I wouldn't bet all my amo on it but I've heard that the fingerprints are to distingush you from anyone else that has the same name in the FBI data base.

So Do I Understand this right from what Swinokur said after the FBI Compare your prints they store them in an file somewhere
If this is correct then our prints are knidof on file right? if something where ever to go wrong they could pull the prints at anytime and compare them I dont like that and I agree about my Social Security Number but, what can I really do or say about it NOTHING

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back