Finally Got The Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact!

also....

the slide also fails to stay open after the last shot about half the time just like Lugar says and also it does not go all the way forward when hitting the release.

Just opened mine out of the box new today - ran 200 rounds of remington 9mm. first 3 magazines were great - no problems. Then on the fourth magazine a black plastic pin fell out of the top of the grip and into my left hand while I was shooting. Thankfully I caught it and pushed it back in. I pushed it in extra hard and it seemed to snap into place tighter than before. I loaded another magazine. Then it jammed twice. Then towards the end it started jamming after every few shots. I am going to clean it thoroughly and try again with some more expensive ammo. The manual does not say anything about cleaning it before using for the first time. I expect I will have to send this back to Beretta which really sucks because I am leaving the country in a few weeks and this is the last thing I want to deal with after spending 600 bucks on a new pistol.

Sounds like you didn't remove the packing grease from the gun prior to firing. I assume you may be having the same problem with another firearm because of that. Clean the gun(s) and mag(s) thoroughly and lightly apply some oil to the slide(s) and other friction areas, and be mindful of over-oiling; that can cause problems as well. Use a dry lube in the mags as well, wet lube attracts dirt/lint that can bind the mag spring. I'd be willing to bet your problems go away.

If you expect all firearms to shoot out-of-the-box without cleaning like a Glock does, you will be plagued with problems for life. Most people I know that have had problems with new firearms didn't clean/lube them before firing them; after a good cleaning they ran fine.

I have no idea why gun manuals don't recommend cleaning prior to the first time shooting, but I was always taught to do so before-hand and I've had very little problems with any and all guns I've owned.

As for the pin falling out... That's not usually a good sign. Do you know which pin it was?

Storm, I sent mine back to Beretta MD for repair about 1.5 weeks ago for the same issues. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good News

I am happy to report that after a thorough cleaning I fired another 100 rounds through it with no problems. Well almost - on the very first magazine the slide did not stay open after the last round. But after that no jams and the slide stayed open every time. I like the way it shoots. So long as it doesnt jam I am happy. Thanks to Avail for your wisdom. This is my first pistol - only had revolvers up until now exactly for this reason. Ill be sure to clean em all out of the box even if it doesnt say so in the manual. I have talked to friends with glocks and also Springfield XD models and they didnt clean theirs out of the box either but they had no problems.

I am happy to report that after a thorough cleaning I fired another 100 rounds through it with no problems. Well almost - on the very first magazine the slide did not stay open after the last round. But after that no jams and the slide stayed open every time. I like the way it shoots. So long as it doesnt jam I am happy. Thanks to Avail for your wisdom. This is my first pistol - only had revolvers up until now exactly for this reason. Ill be sure to clean em all out of the box even if it doesnt say so in the manual. I have talked to friends with glocks and also Springfield XD models and they didnt clean theirs out of the box either but they had no problems.

Make sure that magazine spring is in there correctly, that can cause it to bind up on the last round. Also, clean the crap out of them too, they can get all sorts of junk in there. Use only dry lube in the mags and you shouldn't have any more issues. If you do, then the magazine may be bad; only fix for that is to try swapping out springs or get a new mag. I bet cleaning out the mags will help a lot :)

The packing grease is just to help prevent rust, nothing more. Its not a good lube; I've seen entirely too many people bind their new pea-shooters up because they didn't clean it off and properly lube the gun.

I'm glad to hear your new PX4 is working better, just practice, practice, and practice some more, you'll get used to it soon enough :biggrin:

Bereta PX4 Various Solutions

This thread has been very interesting to me and other members I am sure. Here is the problem. Over and over again, we seem to be advised that the Beretta PX4SC needs break-in, cleaning, degreasing, checking for correct spring assembly, using only loads that it likes, add what ever else. Follow the various blogs and forums and you will read reviews that tout the PX4SC as trouble free out of the box or nothing but trouble from day one.

So how do I or any future buyer that wants to rely without doubt on a firearm in the ultimate defensive situation feel secure with this handgun? Don't get me wrong here. I really like this pistol and almost purchased it last month. I am really looking for the that comfort factor.

This thread has been very interesting to me and other members I am sure. Here is the problem. Over and over again, we seem to be advised that the Beretta PX4SC needs break-in, cleaning, degreasing, checking for correct spring assembly, using only loads that it likes, add what ever else. Follow the various blogs and forums and you will read reviews that tout the PX4SC as trouble free out of the box or nothing but trouble from day one.

So how do I or any future buyer that wants to rely without doubt on a firearm in the ultimate defensive situation feel secure with this handgun? Don't get me wrong here. I really like this pistol and almost purchased it last month. I am really looking for the that comfort factor.

I've found in my experiences with them that they like to be clean. Shooting them out-of-the-box isn't a good idea IMO; it causes jams, misfeeds, stovepipes, etc... The packing grease is NOT lube (not sure if I can beat that to death anymore...)

The tolerances on Berettas seem to be a bit tighter, that's why I think people that shoot XDs and Glocks right away without a thorough cleaning rarely have problems, but I have seen the same issues with those handguns as well. Think Colt AR-15 vs AK47; pretty much everyone knows the bare bones AR likes lube and cleanliness (along with the M16s) while you can drop an AK in the sand, drag it behind a camel, drop a deuce on it and it'll still fire first shot. Do that with an AR and its unlikely it'll fire like the AK will. That doesn't mean the AR is inferior, just means it likes to be clean (not talking stopping power or anything in this comparison) Keep it clean and lubed, along with good serviceable mags, and its unlikely you'll have a problem.

All my Berettas have functioned flawlessly after 500 rounds 'break-in'. This is all by my preference; I do it with all my firearms before judging them. Yes I've had some (minor) issues with my Berettas, but I've had issues with other guns as well; 90% me getting 'used' to it, 9% mags and 1% pure bad luck, IMO. After the 500 rounds all my Berettas work flawlessly.

Even a Glock kicked my ass once; kept jamming, misfeeding, and all around just not firing. The problem was a dirty mag/gun; the owner had never cleaned the gun (ever) and was about to send it back in to Glock for a defective gun. 15 min of detail cleaning and she was back poking holes in paper.

px4 Storm SC; lube not the problem.

I've found in my experiences with them that they like to be clean. Shooting them out-of-the-box isn't a good idea IMO; it causes jams, misfeeds, stovepipes, etc... The packing grease is NOT lube (not sure if I can beat that to death anymore...)

I cleaned and oiled my gun thoroughly before firing the first round. I made sure there was no grease and that all moving parts and the rails were lubed. I understand that most guns need a break-in period, but I don't think it should be over 200, maximum 300 rounds. I'd rather have the gun "broken in" back at Beretta, since I don't want to be guessing whether or not it's broken in enough when my, or somebody else's life may be on the line. I understand that my issues could, theoretically, go away after a longer break-in period, but I just wasn't willing to compromise and see if they do.
Two more things that I didn't mention in the previous posts.
- After firing +P rounds I found a tiny knick in the barrel. Not sure if it affected accuracy, nevertheless it was there.
- After about 300 rounds finish on the back of the slide (the serrated part of it) started to come off, which was a real surprise to me - I don't have steel fingers that would scratch it, didn't drop the gun and was very careful with it overall.
I would expect a Beretta to have less issues, since they try to position themselves alongside Glock, XD, Walther, etc.

Well, I just received my firearm back and I have to say that I am very upset. In the box was a packing slip that lists a few tests that were performed on the firearm. Here is what was typed on the packing slip verbatim:

"Precheck & Safety Check"

"Inspected & Gaged the pistol, found no mechanical problems."

"Function check with dummy ammo with no malfunctions."

"52rds Black Hills 115gr JHP, encountered no malfunctions in the cycle of operation. We can not duplicate the customers complaint, also we do not carry any of the ammo used by the customer. Perhaps the customer might want to change ammo."

Well! I guess they got me there. I have only had the malfunction with three very commonly used brands of ammunition. And honestly, I only live like two hours from the Maryland repair center. I would have driven the ammunition down there for them. So, basically I'm left with a broken gun and a loss of the $35 it cost me to send it to them.

I cleaned and oiled my gun thoroughly before firing the first round. I made sure there was no grease and that all moving parts and the rails were lubed. I understand that most guns need a break-in period, but I don't think it should be over 200, maximum 300 rounds. I'd rather have the gun "broken in" back at Beretta, since I don't want to be guessing whether or not it's broken in enough when my, or somebody else's life may be on the line. I understand that my issues could, theoretically, go away after a longer break-in period, but I just wasn't willing to compromise and see if they do.
Two more things that I didn't mention in the previous posts.
- After firing +P rounds I found a tiny knick in the barrel. Not sure if it affected accuracy, nevertheless it was there.
- After about 300 rounds finish on the back of the slide (the serrated part of it) started to come off, which was a real surprise to me - I don't have steel fingers that would scratch it, didn't drop the gun and was very careful with it overall.
I would expect a Beretta to have less issues, since they try to position themselves alongside Glock, XD, Walther, etc.

I don't know for sure with the PX4SC, but I'm not sure +P is recommended for use in it.

The finish wearing off under normal use is definitely an issue; I'd send it back for warranty issues there. I've shot all my Berettas a lot more then you have and mine still look basically BNIB (aside from some normal wear on the barrels) While it was back at Beretta I'd have them do a good look over to make sure you weren't having any mag issues (which is sort of sounded like when I read your previous posts) You may have gotten a lemon as well... Unfortunately.

I had the same issues with a Sig Pro. I changed the recoil spring and made sure I did not limp wrist and all issues disappeared. Some ammo will not work the slide fast enough to eject brass while feeding the next round. I have this problem occasionally with the SWC ammo I use for competition that I really cut the powder on.

I don't know for sure with the PX4SC, but I'm not sure +P is recommended for use in it.

Well, it is definitely rated for +P. The only thing they don't recommend is the prolonged use of +P+

Well, I just received my firearm back and I have to say that I am very upset. In the box was a packing slip that lists a few tests that were performed on the firearm. Here is what was typed on the packing slip verbatim:
"Precheck & Safety Check"
"Inspected & Gaged the pistol, found no mechanical problems."
"Function check with dummy ammo with no malfunctions."
"52rds Black Hills 115gr JHP, encountered no malfunctions in the cycle of operation. We can not duplicate the customers complaint, also we do not carry any of the ammo used by the customer. Perhaps the customer might want to change ammo."

I received the gun back from Beretta and took it to the range yesterday. Almost identical packing slip- inspected, nor problems found, etc. However, after 100 rounds I had no problems at all. The slide stayed open, no jams, FTFs or any other problems. Used generic re-load ammo. I guess maybe they don't want to document problems... The gun came back well lubed. It was also obvious that they took it apart (beyond the recommended owner disassembly), and I assume they put it back together the right way, because it worked fine, even though they didn't admit any repairs...

I would like to add to LugerHP's note that I as well have fired 350 rounds through mine since I have received it back with only a single failure of the slide to lock on the last round. This malfunction happened on round 350 which was round 150 of my trip so I can probably chalk that one up to limp wristing but I doubt it. I am still suspicious and will likely sell the pistol in the near future. This experience has turned me off of Beretta.

Do you value your life

You're lucky the gun did not blow up due to barrel obstruction. Always clean any gun regardless when brand new before firing. Packing grease or in the military called cosmoline is not a lube. It is for storage to prevent rust. I have seen barrels on Glocks blow and one guy nearly lose a hand by not cleaning the weapon. Stop blaming the gun for lack of maintenance. Good quality brand names have tighter tolerances for more accuracy. I personally own most of the guns mentioned including this one. Regarding +P ammo I would use it only for self defense. It reduces barrel life on any barrel. Remington golden saber and corbon make wicked +P rounds. Many call the golden saber the new black talon in bronze. My other choice besides this gun is my son's Glock 26. Both guns are great firearms.

Beretta jams

Hello
I just brought my Beretta Px4 Compact to a service center for repair. It is a new gun purchased 5 days ago. I cleaned the gun before using it. I could not get one clip of 10 rounds to fire without multiple problems. Failure to pick up the round, failure to eject, failure to feed round into chamber, and failure to stay open on last round. I am not an inexperienced shooter, I have been shooting handguns for 50 years. My first thought was a too strong slide spring, indicated by the slide not getting back far enough to let the slide catch snap in, and the slide not going back far enough to catch the rim of the next cartridge and chamber it. Poor ejection can also be and indicator of a sluggish slide. Bringing the gun to the repair center gave me an opportunity to speak to the gentleman doing the repair. When I told him what the problems were, he said they were aware of the problem with the Beretta Px4 Compact, and that there was a fix for it. He said they have a new slide spring for it, and that they would tune it for any other problems. The turn around time they gave me was 7-10 days. When I get it back I will report the results here.
regards
Ed

I will try cleaning it and see if that fixes it. Very dissapointing first day at the range. I am having the exact same problems as Lugar.

The first thing the guy at the gun store told me when I bought mine, was clean all that factory goop off of it. It will make your life a whole lot easier. So I made sure to do this. He obviously was aware of issues resulting from the factory stuff. FYI

I received my Px4 Compact back from the Beretta service center. I had brought the gun there as I live about a35 minute ride away from them. This gave me a chance to talk to them. The person I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable about the Px4. Upon picking the gun up, 7 business days later, I questioned what had been the problem with the gun, and if it needed the recoil spring "fix" that I had heard of. He replied "no, it already had the smaller spring". He told me they cleaned the slide, and lubed it, and that the gun was "bone dry", and these guns don't like to be dry. He showed me where to grease the slide. The grease he used appears to be one of the modern gun lubes like "Tetra Gun Grease". He also greased the groove in the top on the barrel that cams the barrel in and out of lock-up. He said he checked the gun for any other possible issues and found none. When I left the service center I went directly to the range to check the gun out. I put 100rds of Remington 115gr and 20rds of Speer personal defense ammo through it without any jams. I have since put about 400rds through it without one jam, mis-feed, or fail to stay open. I am very pleased with the gun, and for the reasons I bought it, the Px4 is now my prime carry gun. My target results at the range show this gun to be very accurate for a gun with a 3.2" barrel. I think the close fits of the slide and barrel have something to do with that. I understand it's frustrating to have a problem with a new purchase, but the Px4 is a relatively new gun on the market, and they may have new gun production issues, but Bretta makes a quality product, and they stand behind it.
This is the service center that I used.
Gunsmithing, LTD.
2530 Post Road
#3 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
Region Served: Northeastern United States
Regards
Ed

The first thing the guy at the gun store told me when I bought mine, was clean all that factory goop off of it. It will make your life a whole lot easier. So I made sure to do this. He obviously was aware of issues resulting from the factory stuff. FYI

It should be standard practice with any gun you buy new to field strip,clean and lube before shooting. The old "buff and fluff". As far as +p ammo, the PX4 Storm will handle +p just fine. Extended use will, however, cause additional wear and shorten the duty life of your pistol. If you choose to use a +p round for your personal defense load I recommend shooting enough of the +p ammo through your weapon to assure yourself that the ammo will fire reliable in your pistol. As far as range shooting just grab a box of 115 GR FMJ ammo made by a reputable company. I recommend staying away from cheaper "junk" ammo as the price difference is minor and not worth the headaches of FTF or FTE malfunctions. Dirt cheap off brand ammo also has a tendency to be "dirtier" and cause much more fouling on your gun which can lead to malfunctions as well.

+p is fine in the px4. The recoil springs in these were originally too strong. Higher pressure rounds will work perfectly. You can go on the Beretta web site and enter your serial number. The will send you a newly engineered recoil spring and it will work much better.

Hello Blooze
Do you know where it located on Beretta's site? I tried to locate it but could not. If you have the link, it would help me a lot.
Thanks and have a Holiday, and a Happy New Year
Ed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back