Fighting at Night

I think the most impotant point of the article is the necessity for training. I see way too many people here in Florida get their CCW, and never have any training other than range time now and then.

Low light training is a must for anyone who wants to be prepared to defend themselves.

I train at every opportunity, and just today worked on scheduling another 2 day defensive handgun refresher, and a 2 day tactical carbine class.

You can never train enough

Nightmare.

Walking around with a set of NVG's is just a tad too strange in your average hood, costs a mint, and R blown when one bright light hits those IR sensors. However what darkens your view also darkens a perp's.
On average it takes a human 15 mins to adjust their night vision to optimal, lunar phases & cloud cover also vary that equation. One bright light like a flare blows that, so we trained to shut our aiming eye if we got lit-up, that eye keeps the night vision pupil dilation, open it when the light goes out and it sees what the blinded one misses.
Gun mounted lights (IMHO) give away your 20 & make a perfect aim for a perp, plus most throw off the balance of gun. Large steel mag-lights help but only if U blind a perp with a quick tap-on surprise, walking around with one on gives your 20 away long B 4 U may ever see the perp who can see U & your mag very well. For big dog owners, the night is a time they work best. A perp rushed by a G-shepherd prolly won't get a shot off B 4 the dog is on them or even if they do will prolly miss as they are shooting blind at someting big moving in fast. Many VC learnt a dog was the most dangerous member of a LRRP @ night and even put bounties on some. Let Rover play, until U gain control, sooner or later perp can B disarmed, or have his throat ripped out resisting, and hopefully both U & Rover live. Walking a good dog after dark is eyes/smell and hearing senses U lack but he/she sees/hears and smells anything long B 4 U ever do, like it's high noon, it's their best time of day!
Every scout platoon I ever went out with at night as their doc had a working dog + handler who got OPFOR nailed before they knew what hit 'em. 2nd-chance even makes pretty good canine body armor, but it does slow Rover down just a bit.
Just a canine spin on a human problem.

Canis-Lupus

Walking around with a set of NVG's is just a tad too strange in your average hood, costs a mint, and R blown when one bright light hits those IR sensors. However what darkens your view also darkens a perp's.
On average it takes a human 15 mins to adjust their night vision to optimal, lunar phases & cloud cover also vary that equation. One bright light like a flare blows that, so we trained to shut our aiming eye if we got lit-up, that eye keeps the night vision pupil dilation, open it when the light goes out and it sees what the blinded one misses.
Gun mounted lights (IMHO) give away your 20 & make a perfect aim for a perp, plus most throw off the balance of gun. Large steel mag-lights help but only if U blind a perp with a quick tap-on surprise, walking around with one on gives your 20 away long B 4 U may ever see the perp who can see U & your mag very well. For big dog owners, the night is a time they work best. A perp rushed by a G-shepherd prolly won't get a shot off B 4 the dog is on them or even if they do will prolly miss as they are shooting blind at someting big moving in fast. Many VC learnt a dog was the most dangerous member of a LRRP @ night and even put bounties on some. Let Rover play, until U gain control, sooner or later perp can B disarmed, or have his throat ripped out resisting, and hopefully both U & Rover live. Walking a good dog after dark is eyes/smell and hearing senses U lack but he/she sees/hears and smells anything long B 4 U ever do, like it's high noon, it's their best time of day!
Every scout platoon I ever went out with at night as their doc had a working dog + handler who got OPFOR nailed before they knew what hit 'em. 2nd-chance even makes pretty good canine body armor, but it does slow Rover down just a bit.
Just a canine spin on a human problem.

Canis-Lupus

Another great point.

When friends complain about not having proper security for protection now and when the stuff hits the fan, I simply tell them to get rid of those infernal good for nothing cats (sorry cat lovers) and get themselves a good dog.

Our 85lb Shepherd Mix does not even like when someone walks by the house day or night. He is our first line of defense.

Night Fighting

No good can come of this. That being said, He is my take.

1. Always keep a good bright light for night use.

2. Try to extend the light at arms length away from your body. (this will serve 2 useful purposes)
a. Many opponents will assume the light is centered on you body(Weaver Cross) and aim for the light
b. This gives you a certain amount of security as your light will blind your foe but you will still be able to see him clearly.

3. Don't worry about your night vision. You are just as screwed as your opponent

4. A good flashlight will tip the tables in your favor as you can see and your opponent is "dazzled" (It's hard to shoot past that big imaginary green and purple spot in the center of your vision circle)

5. Many bad guys see a bright light before a near death experience

I have had a surefire save my hide more than once while deployed. The most action it saw was in Las Vegas keeping an eye on our vehicles in the hotel parking lot. Many thugs shun the light and run before you can issue a challenge.

I would love to have a pair of night vision goggles and some day may get a pair. I can see applications/situations when they would come in very handy. That being said I agree that most of the time when I would be out on the town, shopping, dinning etc. I would not be carrying them around with me. Also I am not a fan of a light on my firearm. I do however carry a Streamlight Strion tactical flash light almost all the time. I carry it day and night(never know when you may be in a store or mall and the lights go out). They are small enough to carry with ease.

No good can come of this. That being said, He is my take.

1. Always keep a good bright light for night use.

2. Try to extend the light at arms length away from your body. (this will serve 2 useful purposes)
a. Many opponents will assume the light is centered on you body(Weaver Cross) and aim for the light
b. This gives you a certain amount of security as your light will blind your foe but you will still be able to see him clearly.

3. Don't worry about your night vision. You are just as screwed as your opponent

4. A good flashlight will tip the tables in your favor as you can see and your opponent is "dazzled" (It's hard to shoot past that big imaginary green and purple spot in the center of your vision circle)

5. Many bad guys see a bright light before a near death experience

I have had a surefire save my hide more than once while deployed. The most action it saw was in Las Vegas keeping an eye on our vehicles in the hotel parking lot. Many thugs shun the light and run before you can issue a challenge.

While my dog is the first line of defense, I also carry a Pentagon L2.

night fighting

whether hand 2 head or gun fighing, is a whole new different deal. when i workedthe east side, i came under fire in low light conditions . it was a drive by, bricks splintering in front of me , people running around hollaring and screaming like godzilla was coming . i spun around, drew my weapon , but could not locate the target. no muzzle flash or anything. take some time and do some SERIOUS no light/low light training.with airsoft guns and a buddy or 2. force on force type stuff. it can help save yer butt!

Last time I was at Front Sight, they demonstrated a bunch of different lights. I was really impressed with the lights that had a strobe feature. It was totally disorienting when they came at you and you couldn't really get a fix on it's exact location. I think I'll add one to my collection.

Night vision goggles have one serious drawback. If someone shines a light at you, that light is magnified many times, thus putting you effectively out of commission.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back