FIELD Stripping

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
Ok, I know there are no dumb questions but that is the first impression you get when you see one isn't it? Ok, for Some of us who do not know....what is the sole purpose for Field Stripping whether it's a hand gun or long gun (or Any type weapon)? How many of you actually do this? My interpritation on this is taking apart said weapon outside to clean it (obviously to check any wear/damage too), at the same time learning how to dismantle and put back together. Am I correct on this?
I can honestly say I have taken apart two of my handguns but that is about it and it was in the house.
Thnx.

Field strip is just a term used for taking down a firearm enough to clean it, not completely taking it fully apart. It doesn't matter if it's inside a house, or out on a battlefield.
For instance, if you were to field strip a 1911, you would take off the slide and BBL to clean and oil, but not get into the grip frame, sear spring and what-not. You could do a detailed cleaning periodically, but field strip cleaning is regular.

+1 with Cooter

Yes, "Field stripping" or - general disassembly is basically "operator maintenance" level of take down, for cleaning and inspecting.

Going beyond, or into greater detailed disassembly would become armorer/gunsmith level of disassembly, and if you're doing so in a "getting to know the gun" sort of way, you really should have a solid understanding at the armorer or gunsmith level, to avoid running into the place where you can no longer reassemble your own gun.

Some guns' trigger housing/assemblies are complicated enough to confound a novice owner. Should you find yourself NEEDING a gunsmith or certified armorer to "fix" your firearm, you may not only void a manufacturer's warranty, but incur a hefty bill to boot. (Not YOU specifically, just speaking in general terms here.)

Typically, anything you HAVE to do to the gun (as the owner/operator) can be done at the "field stripping" level.

Toxic chemicals

It is a good idea that when you clean and lube your firearm that you do it in a well ventilated area or outside.

Each breath you take with chemicals and lead is dangerous. Furthermore, wash you hands thoroughly after

you handle ammo, and clean your weapon. Preferably use gloves. Cleaning your weapon after each time

you fire it, is a good rule of thumb.:rap:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back