Federal Court Rules on Recording Cops

cmhbob

Sig fault.
As it should be, in favor of the plaintiff. Recording public officials in the performance of there duties is indeed a First Amendment right.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5835723/federal-court-says-you-can-record-the-cops

jcarmody

Don't! underestimate the power of the people. You might be making a B-I-GGGGG mistake.

Right. The masses are asses. The government does whatever it chooses without fear of what y'all will do, for good reason. You keep "electing" them (or, someone just like them).

Iam2Taz

Right. The masses are asses. The government does whatever it chooses without fear of what y'all will do, for good reason. You keep "electing" them (or, someone just like them).

Times are a changin! This isn't the 60's. I know too many fed up people. They are starting to demand more of the clowns that have been elected. Be careful how you use "you." Many times we are voting for the best of two bad options. Now there is the option to vote for None of the above. However, not enough people have the nerve to make it stick.

Hoganbeg

Our overlords gave us permission. If they had said "no", none of us would have been surprised. Power is from the top, never with the people. :(

Power resides with those who can seize and hold it. However, they did not give us permission, they merely obeyed the law-for once.

Grognard Gunny

It was a good ruling. But, from the other side of the coin, the Cops fear that most of the "recording" done is by bystanders with an attitude of "Would you LOOK at that! Police brutality!" THEN they start recording.

Kind of like how the NFL player that throws the "second" (defensive/retaliatory) punch is the one that gets penalized.

The "bystanders" don't record a "good bust", just the ones that fit their definition of "evil cops at work". Properly edited for effect to boot.

So, while I can't fault the Court in it's decision, I can also see things from the LEO POV.

GG

cmhbob

Sig fault.
Gunny, the solution in those cases is for the PD to immediately release their video, rather than hiding behind "We're reviewing all available video of the incident."

Even better, be proactive and release video of every arrest, or any questionable incident, or every use-of-force incident. Disk storage is pretty darn cheap these says.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhott