Favorite Meat Knife?

mom of 3 angels

Hey, I'm cutting up another elk and getting real frustrated with my cheapo kitchen knife that doesn't hold an edge. We've got a nice Browning knife for skinning/gutting/etc., but it's a bit short for the actual meat cutting process (about 3 1/2 blade with gut hook). Anyone have a favorite? I want something about 5-6 inches long, fairly straight (not curved up too much at the point), not too expensive, and it has to hold an edge longer than 10 slices! I'm tired of sharpening the dang knife!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated . . .

Any brands, etc. you have used that you wouldn't recommend would also be helpful.

If you're not a member of the hunting group and don't want to join to reply, just pm me. Thanks!

Last edited:
HENCKELS...having spent the 1st 1/2 of my professional life as a Chef, I would not be without.!!!!:butcher: They're not cheap but they are a fantastic knife. there are others....
Link Removed

Forschner! Have them both in fillet (9 & 12" for salmon), and various sizes for boning and cutting game. Excellent knives at a reasonable price.

Forschner! Have them both in fillet (9 & 12" for salmon), and various sizes for boning and cutting game. Excellent knives at a reasonable price.

+1 On the Forschner. A friend who is a professional butcher got me started on them. I now have 1/2 dozen 9" and 1/2 dozen 12", one of the new 6" and a 14" breaker. Invest in a good steel, it will make all the difference in the world.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back