Father Kills Son in Hunting Accident When Mistakes Him for a Turkey

HK4U

I am not real sure how you mistake your son for a turkey.:confused22:

Link Removed

BELLE PLAINE, Minn. — The Sibley County Sheriff says that a man who accidentally shot and killed his 9-year-old son while they were hunting apparently mistook the boy for a turkey.

Sheriff Bruce Ponath says that Anthony Klaseus of Belle Plaine and his son Hunter were hunting turkey about three miles west of Belle Plaine around 6:30 p.m. Saturday when Klaseus shot his son in the chest with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Klaseus dialed 911 on his cell phone. Emergency responders pronounced the boy dead at the scene.

"He was absolutely panicked. That would be an understatement," Ponath said. "Very distraught."

Ponath said the shooting was an accident but that his department is continuing to investigate the circumstances

I am not real sure how you mistake your son for a turkey.:confused22:

Link Removed

BELLE PLAINE, Minn. — The Sibley County Sheriff says that a man who accidentally shot and killed his 9-year-old son while they were hunting apparently mistook the boy for a turkey.

Sheriff Bruce Ponath says that Anthony Klaseus of Belle Plaine and his son Hunter were hunting turkey about three miles west of Belle Plaine around 6:30 p.m. Saturday when Klaseus shot his son in the chest with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Klaseus dialed 911 on his cell phone. Emergency responders pronounced the boy dead at the scene.

"He was absolutely panicked. That would be an understatement," Ponath said. "Very distraught."

Ponath said the shooting was an accident but that his department is continuing to investigate the circumstances

I was thinking the same thing HK. How in the world does you son get far enough away from you that you think he's a turkey? But in any case sad story.

They didn't mention if alcohol was involved. Most hunting accidents involve a drunk person, from what I've seen. I am a firm believer that guns and booze don't mix.
I hope the father can forgive himself, and not do anything stupid - if you know what I mean.

Not a very good situation. When hunting with someone so young, it's important to know exactly where they are at all times. I think there's more to the story than what we see at the surface.

gf

This happened to a guy I used to work with. He said he was turkey hunting with his dad and made 2 mistakes. #1, Dad forgot his glasses...should have aborted the trip right then. #2 got separated from Dad. He said he was about a 100 yards from his dad and decided to try out his new turkey call. Apparently it worked pretty well because he said he looked over toward his dad and saw what looked like a swarm of gnats headed for him. Then it felt like someone hit him with a pillow really hard and he was on the ground. Then got hit again. Apparently being so far away saved his life, but he still has pellets around his liver and lungs. The doctors get this very serious look every time he has x-rays done. "Mr. Smith, we have some bad news. We've found some spots around your liver and lungs. We need to do some further testing as this could be early stages of cancer..."

He got lucky and knows it. He owns some land that he hunts on and flat out refuses to let anyone go with him.

terrible!!

when i used to hunt with my dad, the rule was to stay behind him and next to him. if i got a step or 2 in front, it was one way ticket to had slap in the field and butt bustin' when we got back to camp or the house. why? because i didn't mind. then there was the time i shot my daddy's truck with my BB gun after he said not to. ...., bu that's a story for another time......

How awful for the father! I agree the son should have not been far enough away from dad to be mistaken for anything and dad should have known where his son was before firing at anything--I'm sure he's figured out everything he could have done differently. Sad story.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back