Fatal Flaw?

onetuza

I just sent this text in an email to Waltheramerica.
Unless I'm missing something, I think it's worth telling people about.

"I am an extremely pleased owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm (full size) for home defense.
I am a not-so-pleased owner of a Kel-tec PF-9 for concealed carry and thus remain in the market for an upgrade.
I was at a gun show today looking at the M&P 9C wishing it were only thinner. If it were, I'd have bought one on the spot!
I then checked out the new Walther PPS 9mm, and though not crazy about it's blocky looks (one reason I hate Glocks), thought I had found my replacement for the Kel-tec.
Fortunately for me, (unfortunately for you), there was one booth of the three booths at the show offing the PPS, that actually had a magazine in the gun.
I tried it out and instantly my hopes were dashed to bits. What on earth possessed you to abandon the magazine/gun butt relationship that appears to be the norm on all your other semi-auto pistols, and extend the magazine shoe all the way to the rear of the backstrap?
Your trigger guard split mag release is quirky enough, and I could have adjusted to it, but I could not find a way to get the magazine to drop free of the gun when the release is pressed, (something that could cause a fatal delay in a gunfight). Why wouldn't it drop free? Because it hangs up on the bottom of my palm which is gripping the back of the magazine shoe along with the backstrap.
Please tell me you are working on a redesign. I feel bad for people buying the guns that are on display without magazines in them. They will be rudely awakened when it's too late for a refund, or worse yet, when it's too late to live.
Please keep me informed because I feel this is an otherwise very desirable weapon."​

I don't know that I would view this as a flaw. There are many different hand types out there. I'm sure that mine are different than yours. It is more a matter of finding what is comfortable for you and what works for you. If a dealer won't allow you to see how it feels to you with an empty magazine loaded, then you might want to look at another dealer.

The Kel-tec PF-9 in general seems to have more problems than a gun relied upon for self defense should be tolerated to have, yet most owners are die-hard. The thing is, I don't want to die easy when the damn thing jambs or the mag falls out.

As far as the Walther PPS, I have since found two other people who have experienced the very same problem with the mid-sized magazine getting hung up on your hand and not dropping free. And the trigger guard mag release is just plane lame. Sure you could get used to it with practice, but most of us have multiple semi's that we carry on different occasions or seasons and I don't want one oddball in the bunch. Under stress of a critical incident I may exit this realm trying to push a mag release button that isn't there.

What I'm really wanting? What would make me happier than a pig in sh*t? An S&W M&P 9c, single stack, as thin as the Walther PPS. Now that would be a dream come true! (Are ya lis'nin' Lord?)

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back