Fans of the 10mm?

longslide10

I just love this cartridge and Federal has just stepped up to bat in the full power loads with their Vital Shok 10mm Trophy Bonded JSP. Kudos to Federal Ammunition, glad to see a major mfr produce what the 10mm should be as most have been detuned to 40 s. I do think they will be a good seller since the 10 is gaining more popularity especially in the hunting scene.

Federal Premium® Vital-Shok™ Trophy Bonded® 10mm Auto is a full-power load that restores the capabilities of the cartridge. With a muzzle velocity of 1,275 fps and 645 ft lbs m.e., the new 180-grain jacketed soft point (JSP) shoots flat and packs a powerful punch in semi-automatic pistols. With ballistics that fall between those of the 357 Magnum and 41 Magnum, the load gives hunters the power to take down deer, bears or hogs. Reports from gun owners are indicating this cartridge is true to it's word with guns using a 5" barrel slightly exceeding 1300 fps. The downside is it's a bit pricey but if you intend to hunt wild boar, deer or what have you it might be worth trying.

Federal Premium Ammunition - News Releases

For those of you not familiar with the 10mm and/or Glock 20's here is a good video from Sootch00

Video: Going Big with the Glock 20 | Gun Digest

That's 20 rounds for $39.95. I am certainly not paying $2 per round.

My 10mm choice for self defense against humans is Link Removed for $0.85 per round with 1,180 fps and 556 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel and with 17.1 in penetration and 0.656 in expansion in denim-covered gel. More 10mm ammo tests can be found here.

If more power is needed, Underwood has decently-priced full power 10mm ammo. For example, the 200 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose round clocks in at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel. A perfect woods load for $0.80 per round. If needed, Underwood has also the full-power 200 Grain XTP JHP round at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel. The price tag is $0.81 per round.

I have a Glock 20 Gen 4 with the Lone Wolf extended 2-port barrel. For practice shooting, I use full-power 180 Grain Underwood FMJ ($0.60 per round) and 180 Grain LAX Ammo FMJ ($0.44 per round).

It is certainly a much better cartridge than the .40S&W.
However, I still prefer the .45 Win Mag, if my .45 Auto isn't enough.

That's 20 rounds for $39.95. I am certainly not paying $2 per round.

My 10mm choice for self defense against humans is Link Removed for $0.85 per round with 1,180 fps and 556 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel and with 17.1 in penetration and 0.656 in expansion in denim-covered gel. More 10mm ammo tests can be found here.

If more power is needed, Underwood has decently-priced full power 10mm ammo. For example, the 200 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose round clocks in at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel. A perfect woods load for $0.80 per round. If needed, Underwood has also the full-power 200 Grain XTP JHP round at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs out of a 4.75 in barrel. The price tag is $0.81 per round.

I have a Glock 20 Gen 4 with the Lone Wolf extended 2-port barrel. For practice shooting, I use full-power 180 Grain Underwood FMJ ($0.60 per round) and 180 Grain LAX Ammo FMJ ($0.44 per round).

Yes it is a bit pricey as I mentioned and I am sure the price will come down to be more competitive. I have seen it is already 31 and change. I am aware of Underwood, DT, HSM, BB and a couple others but it's yet one more in the mix that shows the 10mm is here to stay and is gaining more & more followers....yay. I also wanted to point out that Federal has joined Winchester as the only two mainline mfr's to produce the power levels at which the 10mm was designed.

Wow. Amazing how ammo manufacturers can come up with a caliber, designate a round as a 'specialty round' and jack up the price to ridiculous amounts. As a reloader I can tell you that even if you bought all the components to load it yourself it wouldn't be more than .28, then if you reused the spent cartridge it'd probably be more like .18 to reload. Anyway, the 10mm Auto is a good round. I've shot it through both a Glock and a 1911. Almost bought a 1911 in 10mm Auto, but after speaking to one of the foremost experts about it (Karl Lippard) I was steered away from it. He said he did a ton of testing on it and the 1911 can't handle the pressures of the 10mm with the way it was designed...said the gun would basically kill itself with every round fired or something like that. Bummer, too. Liked the gun.

I talked with Colt and was told that as long as things are kept to SAAMI pressures they will be ok. The 10mm when it was designed was to propel a 200gr bullet to about 1250-1300 fps, that's what the FBI wanted but too many limp wristed agents complained they couldn't handle the recoil so they detuned it to the 40 short and weak. I have been using full power loads with a firedragon recoil buffer and have been fine. I don't know about using some of Underwood stuff since they have warnings for the Delta and I assume they might be using thinner brass than others like Buffalo Bore who claims power levels like Underwood but say it is safe in all firearms. Most gun manufacturers design their 10's for full power loads not the weak stuff and all they need for the really stout stuff is a fully supported and ramped barrel. What will take a beating on a 1911 is the slide stopped with a good recoil buffer.

I have experimented with my Glock 20 Gen 4 with the Lone Wolf extended 2-port barrel and various recoil springs. I ended up going back to the stock configuration. The stock Glock barrel just feeds more reliably and the heavier-weight recoil springs just don't offer much for me. I am still shooting warm LAX Ammo and hot Underwood loads.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back