Extra mag with pocket gun?

cluznar

I carry a Kel Tec P-32 in a pocket holster inside my jacket pocket, during summer I carry it in a Remora Tuckable IWB holster.
Now when you carry a pocket pistol do you also carry an extra mag? Most of the time I just throw it in my jacket pocket without an extra mag.
However, I do have an extra mag and I am thinking of carrying it also. I have people tell me that a P-32 is a backup gun for close up so 1 mag is enough. Other people tell me if it is the only gun I carry I should have an extra mag. I also have a Bersa Thunder .32 acp that I carry at times which is a 10+1 round gun, the Kel Tec is 7+1. I feel that if I used the Kel Tec the bad guy would probably be 15 feet or closer and therefore seven rounds should be enough.

How do you feel about this? :triniti:

Especially with a pocket gun. Why not? Why limit yourself to a handful of rounds if you don't have to? When you are pumped with adrenaline, you will be much less accurate than when you are relaxed at the range. I recall reading a study a while back claiming that in close up encounters (within a couple of feet or closer), law enforcement officers typically hit their target with something like 30% of the rounds fired. Thirty percent of 7 rounds in my g42 isn't great.

Especially with a pocket gun. Why not? Why limit yourself to a handful of rounds if you don't have to? When you are pumped with adrenaline, you will be much less accurate than when you are relaxed at the range. I recall reading a study a while back claiming that in close up encounters (within a couple of feet or closer), law enforcement officers typically hit their target with something like 30% of the rounds fired. Thirty percent of 7 rounds in my g42 isn't great.

Then maybe (just maybe) you should train to shoot at bad breath distance under stress.

I carry a Kel Tec P-32 in a pocket holster inside my jacket pocket, during summer I carry it in a Remora Tuckable IWB holster.
Now when you carry a pocket pistol do you also carry an extra mag? Most of the time I just throw it in my jacket pocket without an extra mag.
However, I do have an extra mag and I am thinking of carrying it also. I have people tell me that a P-32 is a backup gun for close up so 1 mag is enough. Other people tell me if it is the only gun I carry I should have an extra mag. I also have a Bersa Thunder .32 acp that I carry at times which is a 10+1 round gun, the Kel Tec is 7+1. I feel that if I used the Kel Tec the bad guy would probably be 15 feet or closer and therefore seven rounds should be enough.

How do you feel about this? :triniti:

There’s a lot to respond to here.

Do you train to draw (both form the pocket and the holster) and fire?
Do you train to do it while moving?
Do you train to fire from retention? If they’re within 15 feet you will be fighting them off with one hand and drawing/firing with the other.

Now when you carry a pocket pistol do you also carry an extra mag?

The most common cause of malfunctions with a semiautomatic hand gun are magazine related. There is no such thing as an extra magazine.

However, I do have an extra mag and I am thinking of carrying it also

You only have 2 magazines for your pistol? You need more .

Other people tell me if it is the only gun I carry I should have an extra mag. I also have a Bersa Thunder .32 acp that I carry at times which is a 10+1 round gun, the Kel Tec is 7+1. I feel that if I used the Kel Tec the bad guy would probably be 15 feet or closer and therefore seven rounds should be enough.

Not sure what’s being said here, if you have 2 different guns you are not going to have time to decide which one to go for. I would pick one, carry it one way in one place and train to draw it first al the time.
Train to go for your secondary gun as a secondary option.

I feel that if I used the Kel Tec the bad guy would probably be 15 feet or closer and therefore seven rounds should be enough.

As I said above if the engagement starts at 15 feet he’s going to get to you before you get your gun out and you are going to have to fight him off while you’re drawing the gun

I fail to see a problem? There is only one correct answer to this question: If you carry a semiautomatic pistol then you should always have a spare magazine for it that's ready-to-go. Not because you might need more bullets, but, because you may have to clear an FTFe.

I would never pocket carry, but I do carry a pocket sized gun (BG380) I'd never leave home with one mag, even if the capacity was better.

Did you see Arizona where 6 people got killed. Always carry extra mags. You never3r know when your going to need them. Also you may not hit your Target in every shot. I have 2 Guns I carry but one is a back up gun. The best thing going you can do is practice different scenarios and train like it's actually happening. There is a range I belong to where it is set up by a retired police officer. We do this these life like scenarios after range hours. Nothing even comes close to the real deal. Anyone can shoot paper but what about a moving thinking target?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

Thus question is really not quite right. If depends on the situation. One guy aggressor or more than one agressor. It takes as many bullets as needed to take down a threat or threats.. Each individual target accuracy is different. It might take me 2 shots an elderly person who has c retain handicaps may need 5-7 shots. And if there is 2 threats then it's going to take them 10-14 shots. I always prepare for more than one aggressor. And Thuds also operate in groups. One two to distract you and a least 3 or 4 person to actually make the physical threat. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

There is no reason " Not " to carry an extra mag. A light weight nylon mag pouch is what I carry on my belt. Its better to have it and not need it , then to need it and not have it.. I pocket carry summer and winter, it gives me a distinct advantage ( at least for me ) everyone has their own carry style. I've been carrying for 50 years. I have every type of holster imaginable, and have used them all.... " For me " .. for the last five years, I've been extremely comfortable, with pocket carry. AS an Experiment, I carried OWB for the last two weeks.... I find it more revealing, and I feel less confident going to the ready position... The one thing that jumped right out at me, was having to dress specifically to accommodate this type of carry. AS of today, IM back in the pocket, and extremely happy to be there, also with the extra mag pouch on the belt.
i-s726gjf-M.jpg

Pocket carry summer and winter. Kimber 45 ACP in the left pocket.
Summer 45 in left pocket
i-nK7GwfP-S.jpg

Winter... I pulled the grip " Up " slightly to show the 45 is in the pocket... You have to have some meat on your bones to carry in this manner..
i-5rj3CvS-M.jpg

i-GJJkQn5-M.jpg

i-KHgrNqR-M.jpg

If I carry my xds in my pocket as my primary, I do put two extra mags in my other pocket.

If my xds is my back up, I do not put an extra mag as my primary fnx has two mags opposite my body.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back