Expired Ammunition??

Jeff Chance

I can't seem to find any info on how long ammo stays good. I have several boxes which are at least 10 years old and not sure if they are good or SAFE. 300 Savage and 250 Savage. HELP!

No good

That stuff is no good. Send it to me. :dance3:

Should be fine unless it has been underwater or something. Lots of people still shooting 60s and 70s milsurp.

Check for brass cracks or corrosion.

Jes is correct. As long as it has been stored correctly it should be good. Look at the brass. If it's corroded heavily or pitted then don't use it. I'm shooting 30-06 ammo made in the 40's and it works like a charm. If you have any doubt at all you can always pull the bullets and reload them.

Just send Jes the green, textured rounds. You can still use the rest of the ammo. :dance3:

I was shooting some 1947 ammo a few years ago and it a number of them failed to fire, but they were fine other than that.

I can't seem to find any info on how long ammo stays good. I have several boxes which are at least 10 years old and not sure if they are good or SAFE. 300 Savage and 250 Savage. HELP!

I read a story of some 30-06 ammo found on a ship sunk during WWII. If I remember correctly most of it was still good some 50 years later. I think it was in waterproof boxes.

How long would any of you leave personal protection ammunition around?
That's simple, you should be rotating out PPA. Every 3 to 4 months I fire off all my carry ammo and replace it with fresh ammo. Carry ammo is subjected to harsher environments that stored ammo and there is a greater chance of contamination. To be safe I don't recommend carrying carry ammo longer than 6 months.

i have ammo from the 40s that still works ,shot shells dont last long befor going bad had some a few years old that went bad from moisture i think.

as long as it has not been exposed to a lot of humidity it should be fine for many many years probably longer than you will live.

Old Ammo

I have several hundred rounds of .30 M1 Carbine ammunition that are headstamped "LC 51". I interpret that as it being loaded at LAKE CITY Arsenal in 1951. It was given to a friend of mine by the widow of an acquaintance of his. My friend don't have a .30 M1 Carbine. I have owned the one I have for over 35 years. So I wound up with the ammo. I have fired fifty or so rounds and so far it has functioned, flawlessly. I certainly wouldn't use it for self defense, but, free practice ammo is always welcomed by me!!!

my .02..

i have some 9x18 and 7.62x39 i bought during the first clinton admin and recently fired it and they functioned perfectly. would not have a problem using during a critical incident......or worse.

That's simple, you should be rotating out PPA. Every 3 to 4 months I fire off all my carry ammo and replace it with fresh ammo. Carry ammo is subjected to harsher environments that stored ammo and there is a greater chance of contamination. To be safe I don't recommend carrying carry ammo longer than 6 months.

I assume that is just for the ammo that is kept in mags. What about extra ammo that is kept with the rest of the surplus? Do tha same rules apply as the ones carried?

I assume that is just for the ammo that is kept in mags. What about extra ammo that is kept with the rest of the surplus? Do tha same rules apply as the ones carried?
That's correct. Just the ammo you physically carry. The ammo in your firearm and the extra you carry with it.
The extra non-carried ammo will last for many years as long as you keep it cool and dry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back