exit wound consideration??

Nok

this might be entirely wrong place for this. apologies if not.

(i have yet to get my CHL, im sure this is covered in the course)

in the process of engaging a BG i am sure you are taught to be aware of whats actually behind said target. (common sense anyways i imagine)
so as not to injure or jeopardize the live of more innocents...

but what about the rounds exiting the BG?? how do you know they wont hit somebody, im sure this is something trained to take into consideration right?? granted enough presence of mind in the situation...

personally i have a glock .40 w/ hollows so i dont think exit wound(s) are much of a issue. i think more for small caliber hand guns correct??

sorry for such un-educated questions. still new here

If I'm forced to shoot to save my life, the exit wound is the last thing on my mind. Besides, a good self-defense hollow point bullet is unlikely to exit. If it does, it likely won't have much velocity left.

Just my $0.02 worth.

this might be entirely wrong place for this. apologies if not.

(i have yet to get my CHL, im sure this is covered in the course)

in the process of engaging a BG i am sure you are taught to be aware of whats actually behind said target. (common sense anyways i imagine)
so as not to injure or jeopardize the live of more innocents...

but what about the rounds exiting the BG?? how do you know they wont hit somebody, im sure this is something trained to take into consideration right?? granted enough presence of mind in the situation...

personally i have a glock .40 w/ hollows so i dont think exit wound(s) are much of a issue. i think more for small caliber hand guns correct??

sorry for such un-educated questions. still new here

It's one of the standard firearm rules: know what's in front and behind of your target.

Smaller calibers don't always have deeper penetration, it's higher velocity rounds. 5.7 and .25 are smaller calibers than the .40, but the 5.7 will penetrate deeper and the .25 won't.

If I engage, I will do my best to know what's behind my target, but defending my life is priority.

If you are using FMJ or FMC rounds in your .40, I would say maybe worry a bit about it, but I seriously doubt that even the crappy PPU brand HPs would exit. Regardless, any randomly occuring variable can cause your round to fail...say deflection off the femur or the upper arm bone which could cause the HP to smush in on one side and give it characteristics much like a FMJ (I had it happen when I hit a coyote in the back of the skull and it ricochetted into the ribcage and shot out other side without causing much more than nasty looking head wound and a 2/5" hole through the top of the ribcage.) Shot placement is key. If you're aiming for center of mass, a couple rounds in the chest will likely stay in the chest, even with a .45.

It's one of the standard firearm rules: know what's in front and behind of your target.

Smaller calibers don't always have deeper penetration, it's higher velocity rounds. 5.7 and .25 are smaller calibers than the .40, but the 5.7 will penetrate deeper and the .25 won't.

If I engage, I will do my best to know what's behind my target, but defending my life is priority.

Don't forget about not shooting unless you are sure of your shot. Even in deer season when people have private lands all to themselves, most people forget this rule and send bullets flying for miles. Don't just take a shot because you have a target. On your end, the margin of error could be less than a quarter inch, but downrange, that could mean 10-20 feet in the wrong direction.

I would only worry about exit wounds if you're using FMJ ammo. Hollow point ammo will expand, and is less likely to pass through someone who has been hit. If anything, you want to make sure that you're actually able to hit what you're shooting at more so than whether or not there's an exit wound.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 4

Four basic rules to live by:
1. All guns are loaded until you personally clear them.
2. Never point you gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until your ready to destroy said target.
4. Know your target and what's beyond it.
As has been said, using hollow points lessens the chances of exit wounds.

Don't forget about not shooting unless you are sure of your shot. Even in deer season when people have private lands all to themselves, most people forget this rule and send bullets flying for miles. Don't just take a shot because you have a target. On your end, the margin of error could be less than a quarter inch, but downrange, that could mean 10-20 feet in the wrong direction.

Defending my life is second, behind the life of an innocent who's behind the BG. I won't shoot unless clear regardless of cost to myself.

Good on you guys for carrying about others more than I. My family's life is first, then mine, then everyone else.

All the training I've had emphasized making sure of what is BEHIND my intended target. I'll take the moment to step to one side as needed. That said, I agree that hollow points are not USUALLY going to cause much of a problem.

Howdy,

HPs do NOT always expand.

I few years ago a was testing several different loads and decided to do something a little different.

Usually I use very thin walled 1-gallon water jugs filled with shredded newspaper that has been allowed to soak for several days.

Most handgun rounds ( 9mm, .40, .45 and even the 10mm )usually will penetrate all the way through the first 2 jugs and ended up somewhere in the 3rd jug.

After reading about the "denim test" I decided to do the same thing. I bought a pair of jeans at a yard sale and cut them up and taped a 4"x4" square onto the impact point of my 1st water jug and fired a 180gr JHP (Remington bullet commercial reload ) @1,200ft/sec and the cavity of the HP got clogged with the denim and shoot through a total of 6 jugs and about 200 pages of a phone book before stopping.

OMG!!!

I've repeated this same test with different calibers and bullet designs with similar results, except for the depth of penetration into the phone book.

The last time was back in the spring. I was using my Kel-Tek PF-9 and Remington 115gr JHP and Winchester 147gr JHP and both failed to expand due to the cavity being clogged.

It doesn't happen every time but it has happened enough that the "My 9mm will expand almost as much as your .45." argument just doesn't work.

Just my $.02.

Paul

Good on you guys for carrying about others more than I. My family's life is first, then mine, then everyone else.
You do realize that in a world where many are armed that putting your life ahead of my family could get you shot be me? If lead flies without regard to my family I'm dropping everyone. No time to ask who's right and wrong. Everyone involved is goin'. Quickly.

Howdy,

HPs do NOT always expand.

I few years ago a was testing several different loads and decided to do something a little different.

Usually I use very thin walled 1-gallon water jugs filled with shredded newspaper that has been allowed to soak for several days.

Most handgun rounds ( 9mm, .40, .45 and even the 10mm )usually will penetrate all the way through the first 2 jugs and ended up somewhere in the 3rd jug.

After reading about the "denim test" I decided to do the same thing. I bought a pair of jeans at a yard sale and cut them up and taped a 4"x4" square onto the impact point of my 1st water jug and fired a 180gr JHP (Remington bullet commercial reload ) @1,200ft/sec and the cavity of the HP got clogged with the denim and shoot through a total of 6 jugs and about 200 pages of a phone book before stopping.

OMG!!!

I've repeated this same test with different calibers and bullet designs with similar results, except for the depth of penetration into the phone book.

The last time was back in the spring. I was using my Kel-Tek PF-9 and Remington 115gr JHP and Winchester 147gr JHP and both failed to expand due to the cavity being clogged.

It doesn't happen every time but it has happened enough that the "My 9mm will expand almost as much as your .45." argument just doesn't work.

Just my $.02.

Paul

We never said that they always expand. We said that they are designed to expand. And they are.

Hollow-point bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Word.

You do realize that in a world where many are armed that putting your life ahead of my family could get you shot be me? If lead flies without regard to my family I'm dropping everyone. No time to ask who's right and wrong. Everyone involved is goin'. Quickly.

He was showing me how tough he is. Just compliment his muscles and walk away.

No worries, your priority is your family and yours, just like my family and I are my priorities. I too would act accordingly to a shooting in my proximity. I'm still not putting your life or your family's life over my family's life or my life. I will make best effort to have a clean shot, but life isn't perfect.

He was showing me how tough he is. Just compliment his muscles and walk away.

You keep on dual wielding young guns...I have nothing on that.

The people who are saying hollow points are unlikely to exit are crazy. Look at ballistics gel testing for modern defense ammo. Most modern hollow points still penetrate 13-14 when they expand properly. That's more than enough to blow through an average man's chest. Even with the ribs in the way, unless the rib causes the bullet to fragment, a bullet would blow right through it. I've seen several people get broke ribs from a punch what do you think a bullet would do?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back