Exercises to Control Recoil?

Catfan63

I went shooting this weekend and was working on trigger control along with attempting to keep the recoil under control (somewhat) and found I was really lacking in keeping the front sight on the target! :angry: BTW- I'm shooting an XD40 Service if that matters.

Any exercises or drills to increase my grip strength? What's worked for you?

You should post some videos of your grip and and technique. I'm sure there are lots of skilled shooters here that could critique and give your advice.

I can tell you what works for me and I am always open to new ideas as I feel there is much to learn. I lock both elbows and use a stance that is comfortable for me. I somewhat relax my grip on the strong hand, trigger hand, and place my off hand over my strong hand. I use slightly more pressure in my off hand to control recoil and stay on target while my strong hand is relaxed enough to "squeeze" the trigger. By doing this I dont shoot low left like I used to do on occassion from holding on too tight with my strong hand. I have consistantly shot tighter groups with this technigue. Also, with both elbows locked, the recoil pushed the gun straight up, as opposed to pushing off at angles from my target. This allows faster target aquisition and thus a faster follow up shot.

You should post some videos of your grip and and technique. I'm sure there are lots of skilled shooters here that could critique and give your advice.

This is probably hard to believe but I don't have any way to post video...:cray: I don't do internet access from my phone and no vid camera~ that is a good idea, though.

Break out the dumbbells (not Sheldon and wooddoctor, we're talking about weights here) and do some wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Make yourself a wrist roller device as well. If your local gym has it, the Hammer Strength grip machine is another great idea.

+1 for Wrist curls.... A weight, a rope and a piece of a broomstick makes a great workout tool. A good stance doesn't hurt.

I almost agreed w. G50AE, but I didn't want Sheldon and wooddoctor to have a coronary. LOL

A video that I found about a year ago that I feel made me more aware of my grip which resulted in what I feel to be better recoil control is here.

I had my wife watch and pay attention the next time we went out and I could notice the control was greatly increased.

A video that I found about a year ago that I feel made me more aware of my grip which resulted in what I feel to be better recoil control is here.

I had my wife watch and pay attention the next time we went out and I could notice the control was greatly increased.

This is how I hold my handguns since I watched it about a year ago.

Good video...that was how we were taught at my first gun class. As for controlling recoil, it is only hard at first but the more you practice the more you get used to the recoil.

Thanks!! Good video and explanation on why it works- I'll work on that next time out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back