Every Day Carry Light -- rail-mounted or compact flashlight?

JoeWickman

Hi Everybody,

Enjoying the site. It's nice to know I'm not the only one carrying out there.

I'm wondering what you guys have found handy for an EDC light. A light, like a knife, would come in handy as an everyday tool, and could function in an emergency to blind an opponent or identify a weapon in their hand.

I see two options:

1) A rail-mountable light such as the Glock gtl 10

Is it really realistic that I'm going to use the rail mount with an IWB holster? Probably not.
Could I carry it in a pouch on my belt? I guess so. But if I've got to mount it, what's the point?
It's not like I'm clearing houses on a regular basis. (ever)

2) A compact flashlight such as the Fenix LD or TK series.
I could carry one of these on my belt next to my extra mag. It would be easy enough to carry everyday, provided I stick to the compact line.

Thoughts?
What do you carry?

-- jwick

My Glock in the nightstand is Option one (Streamlight TLR-3), my EDC carry is option 2 (Fenix LD20).

I rail mounted light in a IWB, I haven't seen a IWB holster that would hold a handgun with a light mounted. I think that the handheld is better for EDC because you are not going to have the time to fumble with putting a light on the gun, you might not have time for the light period.

I carry a light as I feel better about scanning an area with white light without having a gun pointed at something. My laser with follow up with targeting after I found a target.

my house gun M&P .40 has a streamlight tlr-2 (light laser combo) on it, but i carry my springfield XD-subcompact in a crossbreed supertuck and use a streamlight PT2L that clips on my belt, pocket, or cargo pocket and it has 180 lumens of light and a strobe mode. great buy for $40.

My edc is a 4Sevens AA2 quark Tactical. It runs on 2 AA's and is great. Because I can get AA's anywhere . It comes with a clip and is quite inexpensive at $60. I carry it everywhere just like my firearm.
In regards to a weapon mounted light smith and wesson has a new one for $90 on cheaperthandirt.com

Thanks everybody. That really helps sort it out in my mind. I think the most practical move is to go with the stand-alone light, rather than a rail-mounted one.

I have an o light m series light as my handheld. I will eventually buy a trl series light for my handgun, and buy raven concealment (iwb and owb). Why choose one or the other, have both :)

Like everything now, there are many forums. One forum I read is all about flashlights.
a while back they took a pole of the members. "If you could only have one flashlight, which one". Over 800 members voted. Here are the top five flashlights from that poll in order.

HDS Systems: HDS Systems - Everyday Carry (EDC) Flashlights
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

I have #3 and #4(my EDC). Both are awesome.

i have a streamlight tlr-2s for my glock 17. Even though its a fairly small unit I wouldn't try to and keep it on my pistol IWB.

Rail mounted lights mean that wherever your light is pointed is where the muzzle of your firearm is pointed. With loved ones in the home, especially at night, this is a bad situation waiting to happen. Should a BG be close enough to grab your light they get the gun as well. If said BG shines that light on you, the firearm is then pointed at you as well.

Hand held lights give you the ability to identify a target and verify a threat without addressing it with a firearm's muzzle. It also gives you the ability to retain your firearm should a BG get close enough to grab that light. They get the light, not the gun. If said BG shines that light on you, the only thing he/she has is a light, you still have the ability to shoot.

Now I don't know about other folks, but I'm certainly not pointing my firearm at my loved ones.

Do rail mounted lights have their place? Absolutely!
When I was single a rail mounted light was an option. Dial 911 with one hand, firearm in the other...carefully.

El diablo de los matorrales

I suppose these primitive means of illumination are sufficient for the average gunowner. But for a man such as myself who wields a GOLD SHIELD CCW BADGE as he guards the sheep, more is required.

Please read carefully as I illuminate you (that was a clever pun) on my skillful and studied approach to NIGHT-OPS.

Those who wear the CCW BADGE must Own The Night. I accomplish this first with NIGHT VISION GOGGLES. When the sun goes down, I am wearing NVG'S. Even in my own home, which I keep dark during the night. When I venture out of the house, I am always wearing four guns...on the strong side hip is my Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in .480 Ruger with a 3-9X 50 scope. On my off hip is my .500 Smith&Wesson. Right ankle; Colt Combat Commander. Left Ankle; Colt Python. I only carry AMERICAN steel on my person. There is a CCW Badge on each holster...but at night I shroud them to prevent reflection. My primary Gold Shielded CCW badge is in my Specially Embroidered CCW Wallet.

After I have put on my firearms, it is time to dress for NIGHT OPS. I begin by applying a liberal coating of dark gray body paint over my sensuous naked flesh. Yes, I also paint my impressive manhood.

For the next couple of hours I disguise myself as a hedge. At 5'8" and 345 lbs., I am roundish and sensual. Therefore, it only requires that I glue hedge clippings onto my naked body to produce the right effect. The only clothing I wear are my knee-high patent leather boots.

I also disguise my wheelbarrow as a smaller hedge, as it is for supplies. On a typical night, I load it with four liters of mountain dew and six cans of Wolf Brand chili which I eat cold for the sake of operational security. I also take along five-hundred rounds of ammo for each of the pistols I carry. Other items: machete, axe, 6 cell Maglight, 80-million-candle-power spotlight attached to 12 volt battery, bolt cutters, throwing stars, throwing knives, expandable baton, night stick, snickers bars.

After donning my NVG's, I am ready to begin NIGHT OPS. I move slowly and stealthily through my neighborhood until I find what looks like a trouble spot. If there is gang activity or potential thievery taking place, I park my wheelbarrow in a front yard and keep my lonely vigil. To passersby, I am just a hedge, standing next to a smaller hedge(the wheelbarrow). To the criminal element, I AM A NIGHTMARE.

Usually, I take criminals by surprise. They turn and see a Hedge approaching, and then feel the impact of my night stick. When they regain conciousness they cannot help but ponder a new career.

BUT THERE HAVE BEEN GUNFIGHTS.

I battled it out with that Mexcian Gang, MS13 one night. About thirty members were drinking tequilla and playing their mariache music and swinging at pinatas in a local park. I crept to the edge of that park, and announced, 'THE PARK IS CLOSED.' Perhaps they never heard a hedge talk, because they opened fire all at once.

HA....I gave them a dose of my 80-million candle power spotlight to blind them, then turned it off and moved into the bushes. Casualties were heavy. I will not say more. The only damage I sustained was to a Mountain Dew bottle.

When the police arrived, I remained on scene. The responding officers thought I was a hedge, you see. One of the wounded gang bangers kept crying out, "el diablo de los matorrales lo hizo" That means "The Shrubbery Devil did this." I crept away stealthily.

Not all nights are as eventful, but they are all satisfying. Satisfying, because I am doing my best to ensure public safety and morality in this town where I proudly wear THE GOLD SHIELDED CCW BADGE.

Yours truly,

The Shrubbery Devil.

Rail mounted lights mean that wherever your light is pointed is where the muzzle of your firearm is pointed. With loved ones in the home, especially at night, this is a bad situation waiting to happen. Should a BG be close enough to grab your light they get the gun as well. If said BG shines that light on you, the firearm is then pointed at you as well.

Hand held lights give you the ability to identify a target and verify a threat without addressing it with a firearm's muzzle. It also gives you the ability to retain your firearm should a BG get close enough to grab that light. They get the light, not the gun. If said BG shines that light on you, the only thing he/she has is a light, you still have the ability to shoot.

Now I don't know about other folks, but I'm certainly not pointing my firearm at my loved ones.

Do rail mounted lights have their place? Absolutely!
When I was single a rail mounted light was an option. Dial 911 with one hand, firearm in the other...carefully.

An d because people most often shoot at the lights.

I carry a small tactical 150 Lumen light. It is better to point a light at someone in a parking garage while you assess the situation instead of pointing a gun at what could just be a couple of punk kids on skateboards. (this happened to us at Destin FL.)

Weapons mounted lights have a place when you are hunting creeps in caves in trashcanistan or clearing a drug house with swat but bring trouble when the person you illuminate is not deserving of having a weapon pointed at their cranium housing unit.

It is not illegal to point a flashlight at someone unless they are driving and you blind them (had that happen in Crestview FL.) it was a bunch of punk kids on four wheelers blinding drivers along highway 90 with a handle held gazillion candlepower spotlight. They earned the 911 call and I hope the fine was steep when the Okaloosa Co. Deputy ticketed them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back