Ever notice how the trolls come out at election time?

PascalFleischman

This is only one of two forums where I am a member. Like my other forum (it's about deer hunting), this one has one main topic of conversation (handgun carry), with numerous "off topic" threads. One such thread is politics. Like this site, the deer hunting forum has seen a spike in "troll" new members. I say troll, because here at USACarry, we all seem to discuss at one point or another Carrying topics. Well, at the other site, most folks have at least a passing comment about deer hunting. With the election ramping up, these trolls come into the political forums ONLY to talk about liberal politics and stir the pot at an otherwise very conservative-leaning site. Take for instance, our boy JWTOLLETT21. Of 113 total posts (as of 3:41 CST 10/9/08), all but 5 have been in the political forum. 3 of those were political in nature, and two were fluff pieces just saying "Hi".

Sorry for the rant, it just makes me wonder. Does the DailyKOS send out liberal activists to "infiltrate" conservative-leaning forums such as this?

Is this how they "research" the opposition?

OR could it be that there are a few gun owners out there who aren't conservative Republicans? I disagree with most of what Jwtollett says, but I like debating him and telling him why I think he's wrong, and I enjoy his responses, as long as it doesn't degenerate into name calling or insults, which they haven't. He's entitled to his opinions and we're entitled to ours, but having a difference of opinion, by itself, doesn't make anyone a troll.

OR could it be that there are a few gun owners out there who aren't conservative Republicans? I disagree with most of what Jwtollett says, but I like debating him and telling him why I think he's wrong, and I enjoy his responses, as long as it doesn't degenerate into name calling or insults, which they haven't. He's entitled to his opinions and we're entitled to ours, but having a difference of opinion, by itself, doesn't make anyone a troll.

My point is this:

On a forum CLEARLY created for the gun carrying community (or deer hunters), why would someone join up ONLY to jump on the political forums and stir up chat? Does this guy even own a gun? How about debating the fine points of DAO vs. SA/DA? Why must a person do nothing but create posts designed to do nothing but rile people up?

Geez, I better watch it, someone will be calling me a troll because I am always complaining about what's his name.

Link Removed

They have a right

They have a right to an opinion even if they are wrong. If he is a Anti-LIberal...hes a brave SOB in here with all us gun nuts. Maybe if he hangs out long enough he will figure out that the second ammendment is what gives the first ammendment:triniti: teeth.

My point is this:

On a forum CLEARLY created for the gun carrying community (or deer hunters), why would someone join up ONLY to jump on the political forums and stir up chat? Does this guy even own a gun? How about debating the fine points of DAO vs. SA/DA? Why must a person do nothing but create posts designed to do nothing but rile people up?

I have to agree with you.

This is not a political site, and I noticed the party in question almost always posting on politics. I have no problem with a member who participates regarding "concealed carry" giving a different opinion politically, however, if this is the only area that they are participating, then you are right on the money.

"Troll"

As long as the trolls post in the appropriate place, I don't mind. Maybe they just enjoy being abused???? :confused: My simple solution is to treat them like a 3rd grader looking for attention....DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!! :wink:

gf

They have a right to an opinion even if they are wrong. If he is a Anti / LIberal...hes a brave SOB in here with all us gun nuts. Maybe if he hangs out long enough he will figure out that the second ammendment is what gives the first ammendment:triniti: teeth.

I agree. Festus is right on. :yes4:

I think it's important to be welcoming to folks here and encourage them to get talking -- especially if they are anti. I've "converted" my fair share of folks from being anti and my advice is to get people talking to find out what is really at the root of their opinion and address that specifically. It's not always the same reason for everyone. They're usually surprised when I stay fairly rational, calm, compassionate and considerate because they are expecting me to get intimidated, emotional, angry and belligerant. When I don't, they become prepared to listen. I'm not afraid to be respectful and listen to them either. If one can get them out on a range with folks who are polite, calm, safety conscious, etc. -- they tend to change their mind pretty quick.

There is no reason for someone to be expected to sign on to an entire package of political mindsets for them to become pro 2A. One of the folks I converted is a "flaming" liberal, but he loves his newly discovered freedom of carrying a concealed firearm and is decidedly pro 2A. I left the "us" vs. "them" mindset when I was a teenager and now prefer the change the mentality while caring for the person model.

I hate to be the one to say this, but there's plenty of liberals on this site. It's obvious. I'm a centrist myself. :secret:

Just my 2cents.

Boomchick

I agree. Festus is right on. :yes4:

I think it's important to be welcoming to folks here and encourage them to get talking -- especially if they are anti. I've "converted" my fair share of folks from being anti and my advice is to get people talking to find out what is really at the root of their opinion and address that specifically. It's not always the same reason for everyone. They're usually surprised when I stay fairly rational, calm, compassionate and considerate because they are expecting me to get intimidated, emotional, angry and belligerant. When I don't, they become prepared to listen. I'm not afraid to be respectful and listen to them either. If one can get them out on a range with folks who are polite, calm, safety conscious, etc. -- they tend to change their mind pretty quick.

There is no reason for someone to be expected to sign on to an entire package of political mindsets for them to become pro 2A. One of the folks I converted is a "flaming" liberal, but he loves his newly discovered freedom of carrying a concealed firearm and is decidedly pro 2A. I left the "us" vs. "them" mindset when I was a teenager and now prefer the change the mentality while caring for the person model.

I hate to be the one to say this, but there's plenty of liberals on this site. It's obvious. I'm a centrist myself. :secret:

Just my 2cents.

Boomchick

An opposing point of view is one thing, but someone coming on here with no chance of "conversion", posting nothing but inflammatory political statements just gets old. Of 131 posts in a gun forum, you'd think at least 1 would be gun related.

An opposing point of view is one thing, but someone coming on here with no chance of "conversion", posting nothing but inflammatory political statements just gets old. Of 131 posts in a gun forum, you'd think at least 1 would be gun related.

+1 I agree. Even the infamous "LiquidG" had at least 1 gun related post. Some folks come on here looking for a fight. :frown:

gf

The only trolls that irk me are the wannabes. If you've been watching my posts carefully, I indirectly called a troll's bluff who claims to be a former LEO. I know from his posts that the only way he could have ever been a LEO would someplace like Mayberry, Hazzard County or as a movie or TV extra.

I am a stickler for correct information being spread as well. Making a legal error with respect to carrying a firearm is significantly more serious than a traffic or parking infraction and may ruin your life forever.

As for being liberal. The only things about me that are conservative is that I'm pro-business, anti-large government, anti-tax, pro-fiscal responsibility and extremely pro-2A. I'm more Libertarian than Republican.

I'm probably going to open up a can of worms again. While I am pro-choice for the simple reason it is an individual's choice to make not mine, I would have voted for Bobby Jindal for Louisiana Governor if I lived in that State because on every other instance I agree with him except his stance on the woman's right to choose. I doubt I'll ever see anyone who I agree with 100% run for office then again none of us will.

While I agree this site is primarily a CCW site, there is also a "Politics", "Off-Topic", "Camping" and "Fishing" forum area within it. I think Luke is doing an outstanding job of making a friendly site to come visit and discuss various areas with friends. I may not always agree with what someone says but will never look down on them for their beliefs.

There is always one

I belong to several sites of various interests, scuba diving, cars, martial arts. And it seems there is always someone with an axe to grind or a point to make that's not really closely related to the site. We'll know for sure if this guy is still around after the election. I predict no!

I belong to several sites of various interests, scuba diving, cars, martial arts. And it seems there is always someone with an axe to grind or a point to make that's not really closely related to the site. We'll know for sure if this guy is still around after the election. I predict no!

Erection year, did someone say this was an erection year??? I suspect the "trolls" will be gone by early December.

gf

Boomchick

I've never heard of a Centrist. Do they get naked, perform sacrifices on stone alters at Midnight? Is THAT what they do?

Where is my Google. Ah...they have a Link Removed (<--Click on it, see where you fit in the scheme of things political) 10 questions. Hummm, where do I fit in there.

Link Removed
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your PERSONAL issues Score is 50%.
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 50%.
[/FONT]

And what are they about? (Click on the thumbnail below to make it large enough to read)
Link Removed

Guess I am on of them thar "Centrists", too. Thanks, BoomChick! Nice to know where a person stands.

Last edited:
Troll's are easy to fix. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! If you don't reply to them they will just disolve into the background. Do what I have done, put them on Ignore.:secret:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back