Ever "forget" your gun?

Hey guys,

I don't know if this will pertain to any of you but I thought i'd share just in case.

Let me start by saying that i've carried a firearm on duty for several years now, and with that comes sort of a complacency about having a firearm (haven't had to use it thus far..thankfully)

Sometimes I'd run out to grab a bite to eat, grab a drink at a gas station, go grocery shopping, etc etc. and think "I should get my weapon" then I start reasoning with myself that i'll only be gone for a few minutes, its right down the road, its such an inconvinience, etc.

I finally found something that gets me to put my weapon on 100% of the time I leave my house. If you don't have this problem, then I salute you. However, if you do give this a try as it worked wonders for me:

Obtain a safe, doesn't have to be fancy I chose a Snap-On electronic combo lock for $75 at Sportsmans' Warehouse. I mounted this in a kitchen cabinet near the coat rack and drilled down using 8" lag bolts (not required). I then started putting all of my daily carry stuff in there. Wallet, Keys, Mag holder, Weapon & holster.

Before I leave, I obviously need my keys, and wallet. I also posted a little note on the door of the safe that reads (respectfully) Columbine, Virginia Tech, Lubys, Fairchild E.R and I think "those people probably didn't think they needed a gun" which motivates me to put mine on.

Sorry for the long winded post,(and crappy cell phone pics) but thought it may help a few...

Link Removed
Link Removed

Years ago my brother went out for needed breakfast ingredients on a Sunday morning. Because he was only going to the corner market he left his revolver home.

You guessed it, the store was robbed while he was there. They also robbed all the patrons before they left.

Develop those 'check for all your carry needs before walking out the door' habits.

Keeping your carry gun with everything else you need it a good habit to get into.

I actually did one time forget my gun. I put my holster on but forgot to put the gun in the holster. However if there ever was a time when I left the house and did not take my gun on purpose because I reasoned that it would be just a short trip and it would not be needed I don't remember it. I really have all I need to remind me of the need to carry it. I have the daily news, the police helicopter flying around the neighborhood just about everyday and the gang bangers and other criminal elements that have just about taken over the area.

I have come to the point it's the first thing I do in the morning is put on a gun, if I'm in sweats I have on my shoulder holster, if dressed for the street I have one of my guns IWB and it's that way til I go to bed at night. Like they say, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

I never "forget" my gun and leave it at the house. It's ALWAYS on me, and there are times where I have been known to "forget" that I had it on.......I don't "forget" near as much anymore since TN passed a reasonable restaurant carry bill. But for some reason, I never seem to remember I have it on when I go for a walk in a local park.

Hey guys,

I don't know if this will pertain to any of you but I thought i'd share just in case.

Let me start by saying that i've carried a firearm on duty for several years now, and with that comes sort of a complacency about having a firearm (haven't had to use it thus far..thankfully)

Sometimes I'd run out to grab a bite to eat, grab a drink at a gas station, go grocery shopping, etc etc. and think "I should get my weapon" then I start reasoning with myself that i'll only be gone for a few minutes, its right down the road, its such an inconvinience, etc.

I finally found something that gets me to put my weapon on 100% of the time I leave my house. If you don't have this problem, then I salute you. However, if you do give this a try as it worked wonders for me:

Obtain a safe, doesn't have to be fancy I chose a Snap-On electronic combo lock for $75 at Sportsmans' Warehouse. I mounted this in a kitchen cabinet near the coat rack and drilled down using 8" lag bolts (not required). I then started putting all of my daily carry stuff in there. Wallet, Keys, Mag holder, Weapon & holster.

Before I leave, I obviously need my keys, and wallet. I also posted a little note on the door of the safe that reads (respectfully) Columbine, Virginia Tech, Lubys, Fairchild E.R and I think "those people probably didn't think they needed a gun" which motivates me to put mine on.

Sorry for the long winded post,(and crappy cell phone pics) but thought it may help a few...

Link Removed
Link Removed

Now that's to funny here I was thinking I was the only person who did that. First thing I got was a gun safe then got another gun safe and drilled holes in them and bolted them together one on top of the other. Top safe holds my three mags and extra ammo I may have. Bottom safe on the pull out tray holds the firearm and the bottom holds the holster and mag pouch and my wallet,leatherman wave, watch,knife,pen,note pad and other carry gear. I do not put the keys in the safe as then I would be SOL as the keys to the safe are on the key ring.

Unfortunately, while in PRHI, I don't have a choice. The guns stay home. When in 2A friendly states, guns are always on me unless I'm going to be at a place where 2a is prohibited by law (as in a court house, etc.)

gf

How about "Have you ever forgotten that you had your gun CC'd somewhere prohibited you shouldn't have it?"

All I'll say is YEP, once. It was a weird kind of feeling.

I carry my gun when I am in my home Stat or if I am driving but I do not fly with it to other States. When at home, I have forgotten it on a few occasions and felt naked without it.

Wow, quite a few people that don't ever leave without their weapon. I feel ashamed of myself. At least SWMP40 is with me, kinda lol.

I prior to my little "procedure" often left my firearm at home. I guess I was in the mindset of I probably wouldn't need it. Then again "Most people will never need a gun in their life. Those that do will need one very badly"- unknown.

How about "Have you ever forgotten that you had your gun CC'd somewhere prohibited you shouldn't have it?"

All I'll say is YEP, once. It was a weird kind of feeling.

Even if anyone had ever done that, it's pretty silly to admit to it here in a public forum. Why provide the fodder?

I guess I am just the opposite. There are lots of times I think it is only a short trip and I don't want to hassle with suiting up. But instead of going out unarmed in those situations I just decide to stay home and don't go. :biggrin:

I never forget it, but here's a real boner I pulled last week. Occasionally I'll stick a mag full of snap caps in the unit when I practice handling or trigger pulls. Yea, I did it. Walked out of the house with a mag full of snap caps in my defensive carry gun the other morning. 10 minutes later, I dropped the mag at a stoplight to check it and there they were. Ooops, quick U-turn.....

Kids are grown and gone, so I'm a little more free-wheeling about having weapons about (don't routinely use a safe, for example, tho I have one). So, in the morning...put on pants, grab license and carry permit and gun from dresser top and go...If I'm dinking around the house or garage (unarmed) and decide to run an errand, there's usually a gun hidden close by that I grab just for that errand. It's VERY rare that I leave unarmed; when I do, I feel quite nekked. That's not a nice feeling (or a pretty picture!) so, as I said, I'm armed almost 100% of the time.

I never forget it, but here's a real boner I pulled last week. Occasionally I'll stick a mag full of snap caps in the unit when I practice handling or trigger pulls. Yea, I did it. Walked out of the house with a mag full of snap caps in my defensive carry gun the other morning. 10 minutes later, I dropped the mag at a stoplight to check it and there they were. Ooops, quick U-turn.....

:to_pick_ones_nose: I did the exact same thing day before yesterday. I just swapped out with a spare instead of going home but yup. You aren't the only one.

there have been times where I thought I would not need it. like when I just want to go out down the street to the drive through... but then I think about it and grab one of my non-primary carry pistols that are in a different kind of holster than I use for carrying and just set it between my legs in the car. so I have thought about it and I always come to.... "well I would hate it if this was the time I actually need it".

I forgot mine one time way back when. I promptly turned my truck around and went back to get it. I was just glad I didnt get to far down the road before I missed it..:yes4:

I'm not saying I won't forget it perhaps sometime in the future, but I have not fogotten it so far. I carry my XD with me everywhere LEGAL. I strap up to go check my mail. Don't fore see forgetting it, but it is all together a possibility I suppose.

well I guess it's just my being new to my CHL, but unless I am at work (Education) or going to bed I have my weapon on. The first thing I do in the morning is slip my IWB rig on and leave it on all day.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back