Erie Co. permit upgrade

Hi all. I just enroled in a hunting/target upgrade class at Rochester Personal Defense. Has anyone here taken the course, and if so how did you like it. I would really like to upgrade my permit and I figured that it couldn't hurt. I have been shooting my whole life, and I gotmy permit about 2 years ago. I shoot regularly at a local club, usually 2 to 4 times a month. I am very comfortable shooting, however I haven't had any training. I am looking forward to the class. I hope to come away a better shooter

If you expect an upgrade in Erie county you better have a lot of either training or experience. Or both. I sent in for my unrestricted and it was granted within a month. I had only had my permit for 1 year but I had all sorts of other training that eased the county's mind about me carrying regularly.as far as that class goes, I dont know much about it but it says they've helped other New Yorkers get unrestricted. Let us know how you make out.

The longest journey begins with one small step...the class seemed to offer a wide variety of info for the time investment, and it sounds like fun. The fact that I have had a permit for almost two years and haven't shot myself or anyone else to me is a good start.
I am glad I started looking for a hotel early, because the recent flooding in NYS has most hotel rooms in the area booked for a while. It is a 4 hour drive for me and the class begins at 8am, so I am driving there the evening befor so I will be well rested for the class.

Hi all. I just enroled in a hunting/target upgrade class at Rochester Personal Defense. Has anyone here taken the course, and if so how did you like it. I would really like to upgrade my permit and I figured that it couldn't hurt. I have been shooting my whole life, and I gotmy permit about 2 years ago. I shoot regularly at a local club, usually 2 to 4 times a month. I am very comfortable shooting, however I haven't had any training. I am looking forward to the class. I hope to come away a better shooter

I got my restricted Hunting/Target permit last October in Erie co. I took the RPD DPS101 class (very similar to the class you're looking at, I talked to Dave at RPD, 95% same material, but took it in Brockport, so one hr drive vs. 4hr) in the beginning of April (so after having my permit 6 months or so). Great class, went over Article 35, and lots of other good info. We did classroom/dry fire in the morning and lots of shooting on the range in the afternoon. I learned alot, and had a great time, the instructors were great. After RPD sent me the paperwork about a month later, I submitted my upgrade application in mid May. I wrote a letter to the judge detailing my gun experience and training and reasons for upgrade request, attached the training certs from NRA course I took and the one from RPD, along with detailed descriptions of the contents of the training. The folks at the PP office told me that it could take up to 3 months to hear back from the judge, so I didn't call and check the status until Sept., lol they told me that they sent out my approval of upgrade letter in June, it must have gotten lost in the mail. So they gave me my upgrade after roughly 8 months, so if you've had your permit for 2 years, haven't had any legal trouble and take the RPD course, I don't see why they wouldn't grant it to you as well. I highly recommend the RPD training though, even if you've been shooting for years you'll still learn alot.

Guys,
I'm all for training,the more the better. Judge Boller doesnt look at your training in determining wether to up-grade your permit to Un-restricted.

When I applied for my Up-grade,after having my permit for 18 Months,and having no special training. It was all in my presentation.(Letter) Others on this site have done the same thing I did.

With all of us receiving our approvals. Please dont get me wrong,training is always a good thing. Im just saying you can reach your goals,just by having an good presentation letter to Judge Boller.

Being an member of SCOPE,and NRA sealed the deal for me,and I saved time,and money. Good luck with what ever avenue you deceide to go.

For give my ignoance folks. I do not live in New York. Can someone explain the "upgrading" you're talking about? Are you talking about a hunting license or a carry permit?

Some counties in new york may issue a hunting/tagert practice only permit. This means the weapon can only be carried to and from hunting or to and from target practice. When asking to upgrade, they are referring to an upgrade from the hunting/target permit to a full conceal carry permit with no restrictions.

RJ

Some counties in new york may issue a hunting/tagert practice only permit. This means the weapon can only be carried to and from hunting or to and from target practice. When asking to upgrade, they are referring to an upgrade from the hunting/target permit to a full conceal carry permit with no restrictions.

RJ

Thanks for the feed back. Man! I didn't know it was so restrictive in NY. I lived in Pa most of my life and never heard of such a thing.

Guys,
I'm all for training,the more the better. Judge Boller doesnt look at your training in determining wether to up-grade your permit to Un-restricted.

When I applied for my Up-grade,after having my permit for 18 Months,and having no special training. It was all in my presentation.(Letter) Others on this site have done the same thing I did.

With all of us receiving our approvals. Please dont get me wrong,training is always a good thing. Im just saying you can reach your goals,just by having an good presentation letter to Judge Boller.

Being an member of SCOPE,and NRA sealed the deal for me,and I saved time,and money. Good luck with what ever avenue you deceide to go.
This may sound stupid but I have to ask, was your letter hand writen or type writen?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back