Entry level sniper rifle...

KimberPB

So i'm wanting to get into some longer distance shooting, say 100 - 600 yards, and looking for a good rifle that'll get me going but not break the bank. I'd looked at some Accuracy Internation and FN SPR's in .308 but they are a little out of my price range. I'd looked at the following rifles and wanted to get some feedback.

FN PBR 24" medium heavy barrel or even the fluted FN PBR XP

The Remington 700 police or SPS model

The Savage 12FV or 10FP

I've also looked at topping it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope. So any feed back would really help. Thanks guys and gals.

No experience with the FN, but either 700 or Savage would be a great long-range weapon. I use a 700 and I know a couple of sub-MOA shooters with Savages.

Kimber, glad to hear that you are getting the bug. Both the Savage and the Remington are great.

Savage all the way. Decent price, exceptianl performance. I've beat this rifle through the woods for yr's takes a licken keeps on ticken

sav10le_308-1.jpg

Occasionally I have a good day.

200ydgroup125grnosler50grto51grvarg.jpg

These two made the mistake of standing side by side right at 222yd. Got them both one shot. It's called MOC (minute of coyote)

CoyoteDBL22085moded.jpg

CoyoteDBL22089moded.jpg

CoyoteDBL220812.jpg

Heres a link to whole story on the above shot
PredatorMasters Forums: One shot, Two kills. coyote

have you seen remingtons 700 Varmint tactical rifle in 308, i see them selling buy it now on gunbroker for 659.00 as well budsgunsupply lists them 659 shipping included when they have them in stock. i have a friend with one of the savage rifles as well, he says its a tack driver as well:biggrin:

So i'm wanting to get into some longer distance shooting, say 100 - 600 yards, and looking for a good rifle that'll get me going but not break the bank. I'd looked at some Accuracy Internation and FN SPR's in .308 but they are a little out of my price range. I'd looked at the following rifles and wanted to get some feedback.

FN PBR 24" medium heavy barrel or even the fluted FN PBR XP

The Remington 700 police or SPS model

The Savage 12FV or 10FP

I've also looked at topping it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope. So any feed back would really help. Thanks guys and gals.

sniper?

come on dude! leave the title alone...........are you doing 3000 yard stalks in knee hi grass too?

just call it ..need a rifle for medium to long range shooting.......

Savage all the way. Decent price, exceptianl performance. I've beat this rifle through the woods for yr's takes a licken keeps on ticken

sav10le_308-1.jpg

Occasionally I have a good day.

200ydgroup125grnosler50grto51grvarg.jpg

These two made the mistake of standing side by side right at 222yd. Got them both one shot. It's called MOC (minute of coyote)

CoyoteDBL22085moded.jpg

CoyoteDBL22089moded.jpg

CoyoteDBL220812.jpg

Heres a link to whole story on the above shot
PredatorMasters Forums: One shot, Two kills. coyote

poor animals........wish they would invent a license where we could hunt hunters..........

I have the Savage 10FP in .308 and it puts Black Hills Match 168gr ammo into a 1" group at 200 yards. My reloads, using basically the same recipe, are grouping 1 1/4" at 200 yards.

$499 for the rifle, hell of a deal.

savage 10fp

Savage model 10FP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want to shoot a 1,000 yard match? Here is the gun you need if you are on a tight budget. I wrote the article while I was still on active duty. It was one of those winter hobby projects while I was stationed in AK. It was nice to be able to shoot a 1,000 yard match and not embarrass myself.

SAVAGE 10FP

This is what works for me.

Contact me via pm if you have any questions.

Look at the holes it punched in the challenge thread as well.

sniper?

come on dude! leave the title alone...........are you doing 3000 yard stalks in knee hi grass too?

just call it ..need a rifle for medium to long range shooting.......

umm... I was trying to keep the title short and Entry level sniper rifle is much short then "need a rifle for medium to long range shooting." That way when people are browsing the topics they can easily see what I need help with.

But thanks for leaving me some valuable feedback on a good " rifle for medium to long range shooting." Oh wait you didn't!!

umm... I was trying to keep the title short and Entry level sniper rifle is much short then "need a rifle for medium to long range shooting." That way when people are browsing the topics they can easily see what I need help with.

But thanks for leaving me some valuable feedback on a good " rifle for medium to long range shooting." Oh wait you didn't!!

For real gunther37 chill out or get out. We are all here to help each other. Not talk about what you have going on in your sick mind. The 700 is a great rifle i picked one up from walamrt after shooting a friends. never did get to shoot mine lol. Still a great rifle.

Kimber, I don't know if this is something that you might be interested in but here is what I have in the works.

I have an old Inter-arms 30-06 that has been in the gun safe for the last 20 years. It is what I call my " Loaner" you know, the one that I loan out when the kids in the neighborhood are going on their first deer hunt with uncles or cousins. I plan to turn it into a custom rifle.

I am ordering a Clark medium barrel out out of Raton NM. I'm having it chambered in 6.5 by 284 and putting a Jewel trigger in it. Still undecided as to the stock.

The 6.5 by 284 is what they are using in the video " Beyond Belief" by Long range video productions.llc.
If anybody is interested in long range shooting this video outstanding. I know four people who are using the 6.5 by 284 for shooting 1000 yard matches with 140 grain Berger bullets.

I am hope to be under 500 bucks ( not counting the scope ) when I am finished. This should be an honest 700 yard rifle. If you can pick up a 30-06 action or pawnshop rifle take a look at putting together a custom.

Kimber, I don't know if this is something that you might be interested in but here is what I have in the works.

I have an old Inter-arms 30-06 that has been in the gun safe for the last 20 years. It is what I call my " Loaner" you know, the one that I loan out when the kids in the neighborhood are going on their first deer hunt with uncles or cousins. I plan to turn it into a custom rifle.

I am ordering a Clark medium barrel out out of Raton NM. I'm having it chambered in 6.5 by 284 and putting a Jewel trigger in it. Still undecided as to the stock.

The 6.5 by 284 is what they are using in the video " Beyond Belief" by Long range video productions.llc.
If anybody is interested in long range shooting this video outstanding. I know four people who are using the 6.5 by 284 for shooting 1000 yard matches with 140 grain Berger bullets.

I am hope to be under 500 bucks ( not counting the scope ) when I am finished. This should be an honest 700 yard rifle. If you can pick up a 30-06 action or pawnshop rifle take a look at putting together a custom.

Is the 6.5 by 284 also known as the 6.5 grendel? I have been looking at that round for some time now. All the ballistics I have seen on it have been great. Out performs the .223, 7.62x39, 6.8, and .308. Still has over 500 lbs of force on impact at 800 yrds. I was actually going to build a 24" bull barreled AR15 chambered in 6.5 grendel as a long range rifle but have started leaning back toward a bolt action. I did see today that they make a ton of aftermarket stuff for the Remington 700 so I may start keeping my eyes open for a used one that I can build.

I’m not in a rash to buy anything just kinda getting as much info on the topic as I can right now. Buying up a used Remington 700 and building it up could be some fun!

I’m guessing you’ll have to change out the bolt also to be compatible with the 6.5?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back