emt and volunteer fire fighters getting discounts?

who needs a handgun more for their profession?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ofcourse you are the highest level.

but you are still a civillian and should not be considered in a military discount since you are not allowed to carry a gun to the scene anyways. punk!

and u are a civillian too there mr mall ninja. oh and by the way that rule just got rescended check out this link page 60 at the bottom Link Removed

and u are a civillian too there mr mall ninja. oh and by the way that rule just got rescended check out this link page 60 at the bottom Link Removed

I was trying hard to stay out of this conversation but it seems that snide comments and petty remarks have been tossed around.

Stump Jumper, I went and read the regulation and I, as a volunteer EMT am VERY disappointed that they took this out of our rules and regulations and I will, tomorrow morning, be writing a letter to my EMS agency urging them to put that rule back in and to enforce it.

We are rescue workers and we have the police for a reason. If we feel we are in danger there is a small red button on our two way radio's for a reason. We are there to save lives, we are there to harm none and to do our job. If I knew my partner had a gun, I don't care who you are, I would refuse to be on that rig with you and request another partner. I don't need to walk into a stressful situation and have it come potentially worse or fatal if that person realizes that you have a gun. I wasn't taught to take a life, I was taught to SAVE ONE. What you do on your own time and off duty, be it paid or volunteer is your business.

I have met way too many wanna be fire fighters and EMT's who can't even function when it matters, who have to try to prove something, why in the world would I want them to have a fire arm? Way too many wanna be's who are gung ho saving that burning building, or showing attitude or racing to see who is first on the scene. There has only been one person that I would ever feel safe around with a fire arm on a scene and that was my assistant chief who was a police officer and went to the range often. I never felt uneasy with him and believe me, I spent enough time with him. He was always very professional on and off the scene and conducted himself as one of his rank should.

This is only my personal opinion. I was raised that if I can't say anything constructively or without malice, then to not say anything at all. So to call someone a "mall ninja" when I am sure what he does is just as important as what you do or he is just as proud of what he is trained to do, that was rather a nasty thing to say.

Is it the jet-lag or I having trouble reading English again? I thought the original question was "Who needs a handgun more for their profession?" I appreciate all that EMT's and firefighters do, and so would anyone who gave it a second of thought. I don't see the connection however between my appreciation for their service and their NEED for a handgun.

I was taught that one calls in to a 'scene' "Is it ok, in there?" before entering a possible 'hot' area for medical emergency assistance. Also, I cannot imagine a firefighter wanting to carry live ammo into a fire. EMT's need their medical gear, firefighters need their fire gear, and those who teach others about firearms and related issues need a firearm for at least some of the instruction. I doubt most EMT's would feel they needed or wanted the responsiblity of a firearm when all their attention may be focused on a patient or patients. I hope firefighters find police at a fire scene who can give them firepower support/intervention if that need arises.
If you want to ask, should they be given a manufacturer's discount, then ask that. Enough talk about what it costs to get trained for this or that profession. This is not about the need of a gun equating with one's cost of training. (Cost to whom, by the way .. oneself? One's employer?)
The point later made is, that this is about more liberal discount policies. Fine. Go for it. So long as gun prices overall are not inflated even more to keep up the 'quarterly profit numbers' for manufacturers. The more licensed, trained carry-people out there, who do carry, and the result seems to be the lower the crime rate in an area. I think of that as a big PLUS, right up there with maybe teaching J.Q. uninformed Public that seeing more guns in responsible hands is better than meeting a gun in some punk's hand as you leave dinner at a restaurant, or walking into a 7/11 with a 'zero' alertness and your family finds themselves paying for your funeral because only the sub-humans who care less about others had the guns that night! (Go ahead, ask me how I feel about punks and guns...)

....Stump Jumper, I went and read the regulation and I, as a volunteer EMT am VERY disappointed that they took this out of our rules and regulations and I will, tomorrow morning, be writing a letter to my EMS agency urging them to put that rule back in and to enforce it.

We are rescue workers and we have the police for a reason. If we feel we are in danger there is a small red button on our two way radio's for a reason. We are there to save lives, we are there to harm none and to do our job. If I knew my partner had a gun, I don't care who you are, I would refuse to be on that rig with you and request another partner. I don't need to walk into a stressful situation and have it come potentially worse or fatal if that person realizes that you have a gun. I wasn't taught to take a life, I was taught to SAVE ONE. What you do on your own time and off duty, be it paid or volunteer is your business.

I have met way too many wanna be fire fighters and EMT's who can't even function when it matters, who have to try to prove something, why in the world would I want them to have a fire arm? Way too many wanna be's who are gung ho saving that burning building, or showing attitude or racing to see who is first on the scene. There has only been one person that I would ever feel safe around with a fire arm on a scene and that was my assistant chief who was a police officer and went to the range often. I never felt uneasy with him and believe me, I spent enough time with him. He was always very professional on and off the scene and conducted himself as one of his rank should.

This is only my personal opinion. I was raised that if I can't say anything constructively or without malice, then to not say anything at all. So to call someone a "mall ninja" when I am sure what he does is just as important as what you do or he is just as proud of what he is trained to do, that was rather a nasty thing to say.

Not sure why you're against someone wanting to defend themself or possibly others. Keep in mind that an armed non-LEO first responder may save MANY lives one day. Imagine that you respond to a scene where there's a lady complaining of abdominal pains. You get there and rather than finding a lady in pain you find a what appears to be a lady who is mentally disturbed. While you're talking with the lady to assess the situation, you hear gunshots. Maybe someone gets hit, maybe not. In any case, you hit your "little red button". Police will be at least 2 minutes out. In that time, many people can be seriously injured and/or killed. If you and/or your partner are properly trained and armed, you will be able to respond to the threat and possibly save the lives of innocents. I imagine that there is extensive testing and screening involved before one can become a first responder. Knowing that these people are screened, wouldn't it be reasonable to trust them to keep you safe? I'm sure your partner could easily snuff you out in your sleep. From what I've observed of EMT/Fire personnel is that they live in the fire station for at least 24 hours at a time. It's critical that these people be able to get along with others as to ensure a safe living environment. I see no problem with first responders being armed. Granted if they do carry, it should be on a "need to know" basis and deeply concealed. This would prevent folks like yourself freaking out because the EMT or Firefighter is "packing".

I sincerely hope that "assistant police chief" that you would trust with a firearm is nothing like this guy! :eek:

YouTube - DEA Agent

gf

Ok............ wow. I am surprised a mod has not jumped in here yet. But to add my .02

Someone stated before; does an NRA Instructor NEED a pistol. Does a EMT or Volly Fire NEED one? I was a volly like many of you out there and yes, especially when I was younger, it would have been "cool" to be able to carry, but that was NOT my job. My job was to fight fires and respond to medical emergences (we didn't have an ambulance corps at the time) There are enough things to worry about and with enough gear hanging off you without adding a pistol and extra mags to it. IF you did add a fire arm, then you should add cuffs to that and the ability to make arrests.

Looking at the black and white of the question, “Who needs it more for their profession?” That would legally have to be the instructor. The only time I can see it being otherwise is if your department allows you to carry as an EMT/Volly Fire Fighter. I have no issue with the Vollys and EMT's getting a discount. They have a tough job and I like the fact that they are recognized by the companies.

Of the two, IMHO the instructor has a legitimate legal use for a fire arm. He/She directly uses it in his/her job. The EMT/Volly Fire Fighter does not.

My .02 and worth about what you paid for it.

Llama,
The original post was about whether EMT and Firefighter types should be included in an LE/Military discount. The poll was added 10 or 12 posts later. Basically, the OP is upset because a gun store expanded a manufacturer's LE/Military discount to include other First Responders. The OP thinks CCW class instructors deserve this same appreciation, or even deserve it more.

i see rules crossed out stating that you are not allowed to carry.

where does it say you can carry?

so i hpe this means emt who want to carry must go through blet.

plus, i can see the dog box volunteer boys now running into golden coral with there 44 mags on there hips to rescue one of the yankees joking on a chicken bone.

i strongly disagree with that rule. if indeed it is going to become legal. all i see is a line crossed through a rule.

Not sure why you're against someone wanting to defend themself or possibly others. Keep in mind that an armed non-LEO first responder may save MANY lives one day. Imagine that you respond to a scene where there's a lady complaining of abdominal pains. You get there and rather than finding a lady in pain you find a what appears to be a lady who is mentally disturbed. While you're talking with the lady to assess the situation, you hear gunshots. Maybe someone gets hit, maybe not. In any case, you hit your "little red button". Police will be at least 2 minutes out. In that time, many people can be seriously injured and/or killed. If you and/or your partner are properly trained and armed, you will be able to respond to the threat and possibly save the lives of innocents. I imagine that there is extensive testing and screening involved before one can become a first responder. Knowing that these people are screened, wouldn't it be reasonable to trust them to keep you safe? I'm sure your partner could easily snuff you out in your sleep. From what I've observed of EMT/Fire personnel is that they live in the fire station for at least 24 hours at a time. It's critical that these people be able to get along with others as to ensure a safe living environment. I see no problem with first responders being armed. Granted if they do carry, it should be on a "need to know" basis and deeply concealed. This would prevent folks like yourself freaking out because the EMT or Firefighter is "packing".

I sincerely hope that "assistant police chief" that you would trust with a firearm is nothing like this guy! :eek:

gf

I have NO problem with anyone wanting to cc or open carry if it is on their own time. I carry myself. My main concern is when we ARE on duty. Why do I have a problem then? Because, again, I will state, we are trained to heal and to assist in any type of situation, were trained to be ready for any emergency situation be it labor, MVA, stroke, heart attack, etc. Nowhere in my training did we go over carrying a weapon. We already all know it is an awesome responsibility. And for the record Glock Fan, I wouldn't "freak out" as you so eloquently stated, I just would refuse to be on the rig with anyone carrying, as again, read what I said, that is not our MAIN OBJECTIVE. Let the police who are trained and doing their job be the ones. It is not our job to carry, it is our job to heal and to treat and to get one to the hospital to have continual and more advanced treatment given. And your scenario, I am there to treat and to help, NOT to defend and to possibly get myself, my partner or anyone else killed nor is it my responsibility as an EMT to then slip into the roll of a police officer, my main objective was the person you were initially called for. If things go South we call for back up or for more help.

And I don't know where you live, but here to volunteer you go to the station, you fill out their forms, you have a basic back ground and driving check, get voted in and your good to go.

Bottom line, no I do not think that EMS and fire fighters need to get a discount for a fire arm or weapon.

Some times help does not come fast enough. Some times people call for help because they want to take others with them before killing them selfs first. Unless the police think they need to respond to a call they do not come as back up. Only time they show up is if your going to a shooting,fight,domestic violence, and a few others. Other then that your on your own with a call. You have no idea what you are walking in on and the part when you say, "If things go South we call for back up or for more help" So is that what you want them to tell your kids? You call and wait and wait. Can you out run a bullet? Most departments let you respond in your own car and most people are hunters and have long guns in the cars. For you to say you would not get into to a RA unit with a Emt who has a gun. Makes you sound like a anti! the fact you would choose to die over getting into the RA unit and getting help over the fact that he has a gun. Would you also turn away a person if he/she carrying? Sorry i cant help you till you take your gun off sir. But yet if it was a Cop you would like say officer you cant get in the RA unit till you take off your gun. NO you would let him come right in. You lady sound like a Anti.

I was trying hard to stay out of this conversation but it seems that snide comments and petty remarks have been tossed around.

Stump Jumper, I went and read the regulation and I, as a volunteer EMT am VERY disappointed that they took this out of our rules and regulations and
I will, tomorrow morning, be writing a letter to my EMS agency urging them to put that rule back in and to enforce it.
We are rescue workers and we have the police for a reason.
If we feel we are in danger there is a small red button on our two way radio's for a reason.
We are there to save lives, we are there to harm none and to do our job. If I knew my partner had a gun, I don't care who you are, I would refuse to be on that rig with you and request another partner. I don't need to walk into a stressful situation and have it come potentially worse or fatal if that person realizes that you have a gun.
I wasn't taught to take a life, I was taught to SAVE ONE.
What you do on your own time and off duty, be it paid or volunteer is your business.

I have met way too many wanna be fire fighters and EMT's who can't even function when it matters, who have to try to prove something,
why in the world would I want them to have a fire arm?
Way too many wanna be's who are gung ho saving that burning building, or showing attitude or racing to see who is first on the scene. There has only been one person that I would ever feel safe around with a fire arm on a scene and that was
my assistant chief who was a police officer
and went to the range often. I never felt uneasy with him and believe me, I spent enough time with him. He was always very professional on and off the scene and conducted himself as one of his rank should.

\

Why are you a member on a PRO GUN WEBSITE. IF YOUR SUCH A HUGE ANTI!!!!!!!!!!!! For you to talk like this makes me sick. Again if that was a police officer on the RA unit you would feel fine with having a gun on it. But yet your a member of a Pro gun/Pro 2nd A/pro sheep dog carry WHY to spy on us? I really can not understand. You say you are for people carrying and that you your self carry. But at every turn you speak out against. The fact of the matter is you would have no idea your follow Emt's are carrying a gun because it would be concealed KEY WORD here is CONCEALED!!!!! So the patient would have no reason to be in fear and would never even know he/she was around a gun. For you to say "If we feel we are in danger there is a small red button on our two way radio's for a reason" Is just run real! What do you do if your out of range? Again can you out run a bullet? Then for you to go on and say "I wasn't taught to take a life, I was taught to SAVE ONE" Makes me worry about the fact that you your self has/carrys a gun. It sounds like you would not be able to use it when the time came to take a live. Then you say the most anti thing of all and that was "why in the world would I want them to have a fire arm" Anti!! but wait it gets better here it comes "my assistant chief who was a police officer". Oh wait i forgot one "I will, tomorrow morning, be writing a letter to my EMS agency urging them to put that rule back in and to enforce it" So your anti sheep dog carry and pro cop carry! Every person has a right to defend them selfs no matter what the job! If we have teachers carrying guns in schools,guns on airplanes and so on. Emt's need to have the right to choose for them selfs if their live is worth defending. Or if pushing a LITTLE RED BUTTON and praying and hoping help gets to them before the attacker does is enough to make them feel safe. I am pro Emt/Fire fighter carry ( LOL just remeber to take the gun off befor you enter the burning building) Given a chance to choose for them selfs most Emt's/Fire would say not to a gun but it's the fact that we give them the right to do so My hat goes off to VA.

the line through the rule is the department of ems way of saying it is taken out of the new printing.
Yes i am there to heal, help my fellow person in distress, im not out to hurt anyone and hope to god i never have to!!! On the other hand i am all about being able to go home at the end of my shift and see my wife and children. when seconds count the police are only minutes away. if you have run in ems very much which i doubt you have near the time in that i have you will have seen many incidents in which the dispatcher was not given sufficient information or did not ask the right question or that they just didnt have any law enforcment to send because they are tied up at the time. next the poll has nothing to do with the original topic, omit it , the original topic has been edited to the point that you cant read what i read in the begining. 0h and what a coincedence my assistant chief was a police officer to, in which before he went to the academy i attempted to teach him how to shoot a pistol, only to find out he was cross eye dominant. what a coincedence! and yes i would trust him with a weapon just as much as myself! i have not said that we are law enforcement, or that we are military, or that we need a gun more than anyone else. my point was about him downing emts and firefighters for geting a discount and his profesion didnt. but its all lost witheverything being edited out. i aint calling names other than mall ninja which is very mild compared to what i have recieved in emails i can tell you.

case in point we had one about 12 years ago where we were called to a structure fire on the court circle and as the ambulance pulled up gunfire was exchange between an assailant and a state police officer who just happend to be standing in the right place at the right time to save countless live's .. the incident made it on real stories of the highway patrol. what if he hadnt been standing there, how many lives would have been lost, no one knows!

the line through the rule is the department of ems way of saying it is taken out of the new printing.
Yes i am there to heal, help my fellow person in distress, im not out to hurt anyone and hope to god i never have to!!! On the other hand i am all about being able to go home at the end of my shift and see my wife and children. when seconds count the police are only minutes away. if you have run in ems very much which i doubt you have near the time in that i have you will have seen many incidents in which the dispatcher was not given sufficient information or did not ask the right question or that they just didnt have any law enforcment to send because they are tied up at the time. next the poll has nothing to do with the original topic, omit it , the original topic has been edited to the point that you cant read what i read in the begining. 0h and what a coincedence my assistant chief was a police officer to, in which before he went to the academy i attempted to teach him how to shoot a pistol, only to find out he was cross eye dominant. what a coincedence! and yes i would trust him with a weapon just as much as myself! i have not said that we are law enforcement, or that we are military, or that we need a gun more than anyone else. my point was about him downing emts and firefighters for geting a discount and his profesion didnt. but its all lost witheverything being edited out. i aint calling names other than mall ninja which is very mild compared to what i have recieved in emails i can tell you.

case in point we had one about 12 years ago where we were called to a structure fire on the court circle and as the ambulance pulled up gunfire was exchange between an assailant and a state police officer who just happend to be standing in the right place at the right time to save countless live's .. the incident made it on real stories of the highway patrol. what if he hadnt been standing there, how many lives would have been lost, no one knows!

you are full of crap.

no where in the va state attorneys office does it state emts can carry side arms.
nice try

you are full of crap.

no where in the va state attorneys office does it state emts can carry side arms.
nice try

once the edition of va fire and ems related laws is printed without that rule that prohibited everyone but sworn law enforcement is stricken from it. then there is nowhere that say anyone with a ccw cant. unless we post a sign on all the entrances to the ambulance. You will only find a copy of that red book in a firehouse or rescue squad. ive tried to find it online and cant. your just mad because at every comment youve made you have been shut down:sarcastic:

You can ASSume to think I am anti gun rights but I am not, far from it. If you read it says I don't care what you do or what you carry ON YOUR OWN TIME. You may have more time as an EMT, doesn't mean your better than I am or you have a better knowledge of it, just that you have been doing it longer. You don't know me nor know what I have been in or what scenes I have rolled up on and yes I do want to go home to my family at the end of the day. Don't think I can't take a life if in that situation, again, think what you will. If I had a dollar for every time someone thought ill or bad of me, I would be well off.

You have your views and I have my views. I respect your right to think that EMS/Fire Fighters should have the right to carry while on scene as a volunteer or paid, and I have my rights to my views that they should not. Let's leave it at that. But, if people are so dog rabid that they want to start accusing me of being anti, I can find another group that isn't so nasty and mean spirited and name calling, that they respect one anothers views and understand why they think the way they do.

In Michigan during the riots of the 60 n 70's the rioters would set fire to buildings, and when the fire showed up use them and any EMT's that showed for target practice. Now they can carry and in some small townships the police serve triple duty as EMS/Fireman.... Also they are all exempt from the Switchblade rule. (automatic knifes are illegal here)

You can
to think I am anti gun rights but I am not, far from it. If you read it says I don't care what you do or what you carry ON YOUR OWN TIME. You may have more time as an EMT, doesn't mean your better than I am or you have a better knowledge of it, just that you have been doing it longer. You don't know me nor know what I have been in or what scenes I have rolled up on and yes I do want to go home to my family at the end of the day. Don't think I can't take a life if in that situation, again, think what you will. If I had a dollar for every time someone thought ill or bad of me, I would be well off.

You have your views and I have my views. I respect your right to think that EMS/Fire Fighters should have the right to carry while on scene as a volunteer or paid, and I have my rights to my views that they should not. Let's leave it at that. But, if people are so dog rabid that they want to start accusing me of being anti, I can find another group that isn't so nasty and mean spirited and name calling, that they respect one anothers views and understand why they think the way they do.

Well thanks for calling me a ASSume. Does not really matter what i think Every word in your last few posts sound just like a anti gun person. The fact of the matter is Times are changing and states are opening up to the idea. Sheldon says in MI they can carry, In NH they can carry in some towns. Then your great state of VA has said yes they can as well. When people start filing lawsuits for their second amendment rights being infringed on other towns and states will start to open up to the idea. In my last posts all i said was the way you are talking makes you sound like a anti at no time did i call you a name. So it just goes to show what kind of person you are if you have to lower your self to that level. Yet you talk about respecting other peoples point of views? Well who is the one throwing the Curse words around?

i am still lost.

if emt;s are allowed to carry side arms concealed. how can they treat some one inside a bank? or some one inside a mall with no guns allowed signs on the front doors. or goverment buildings. or in some states resturaunts that sell and consume alcohol?

police officers are allowed to open carry in these places. doesnt this slow up the response time of the emt's?

and . if they are allowed to break these rules. this is not a bad ideal to go to a 5 week course to get a basic emt qual just to carry. no blet, no police academy. the only rules are the states concealed laws? wow! thats a deal. sign me up!

i do not work in a mall. if you must know i am employed by a company based in moyock nc.
i do psd. i doubt you know what that means.
anyways. great post to all.
keep the poll up/ i will be gone for a few weeks.

later all
take care stumps

i am still lost.

if emt;s are allowed to carry side arms concealed. how can they treat some one inside a bank? or some one inside a mall with no guns allowed signs on the front doors. or goverment buildings. or in some states resturaunts that sell and consume alcohol?

police officers are allowed to open carry in these places. doesnt this slow up the response time of the emt's?

and . if they are allowed to break these rules. this is not a bad ideal to go to a 5 week course to get a basic emt qual just to carry. no blet, no police academy. the only rules are the states concealed laws? wow! thats a deal. sign me up!

simplly it wont give us a pass to go anywhere that any ccw cant, when the event happens that hypothectically we respond to one of those places , we just slip it off holster and all and place it in one of our locked compartments within the ambulance ours have several. it will take only seconds... and it will be under lock and key!!! in a parking area. oh and yes i know whats in Moyoc nc. i have friends who contrct for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back