emt and volunteer fire fighters getting discounts?

who needs a handgun more for their profession?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am still lost.

if emt;s are allowed to carry side arms concealed. how can they treat some one inside a bank? or some one inside a mall with no guns allowed signs on the front doors. or goverment buildings. or in some states resturaunts that sell and consume alcohol?

police officers are allowed to open carry in these places. doesnt this slow up the response time of the emt's?

and . if they are allowed to break these rules. this is not a bad ideal to go to a 5 week course to get a basic emt qual just to carry. no blet, no police academy. the only rules are the states concealed laws? wow! thats a deal. sign me up!

Well first off in Michigan it is not illegal to CCW in a bank (at least here it isn't), and they have legislation that allows certain personnel to carry in those areas we who do CCW cannot....
But we are working on that too HB 4843 I think is the number to eliminate all no carry zones in the state!!!

I have NO problem with anyone wanting to cc or open carry if it is on their own time. I carry myself. My main concern is when we ARE on duty. Why do I have a problem then? Because, again, I will state, we are trained to heal and to assist in any type of situation, were trained to be ready for any emergency situation be it labor, MVA, stroke, heart attack, etc. Nowhere in my training did we go over carrying a weapon. We already all know it is an awesome responsibility. And for the record Glock Fan, I wouldn't "freak out" as you so eloquently stated, I just would refuse to be on the rig with anyone carrying, as again, read what I said, that is not our MAIN OBJECTIVE. Let the police who are trained and doing their job be the ones. It is not our job to carry, it is our job to heal and to treat and to get one to the hospital to have continual and more advanced treatment given. And your scenario, I am there to treat and to help, NOT to defend and to possibly get myself, my partner or anyone else killed nor is it my responsibility as an EMT to then slip into the roll of a police officer, my main objective was the person you were initially called for. If things go South we call for back up or for more help.

And I don't know where you live, but here to volunteer you go to the station, you fill out their forms, you have a basic back ground and driving check, get voted in and your good to go.

Bottom line, no I do not think that EMS and fire fighters need to get a discount for a fire arm or weapon.

You state that you're trained for "any" situation, yet you refuse to accept the fact that you may one day get attacked by the person you're treating. It concerns me that someone in your position is so blind and clueless as to what could happen and prepare appropriately. I have many friends in the medical field working in hospitals, health facilities, as EMT or Firefighters, etc. It seems that the only people against the option of health care professionals arming themselves are those who are green, improperly trained, never saw an incident turn bad, or hoplessly anti-gun. The consensus on the only place where we all agree that firearms not be allowed is in mental facilities or treatment wings of the hospitals.

For the record, I never said that an EMT or Firefighter should assume the role of a police officer. They should be allowed to have the option to carry a firearm to protect themselves. This would make you better prepared to respond to "any" situation. Time can be your best friend or worse enemy. When some nut job turns on you and opens fire, I assure you that the "little red button" on your radio won't work fast enough. Police are several minutes away. You will have seconds to respond to a person attacking you. A firearm in your hands will greatly improve your odds of survival. If you can't understand that, I highly recommend that you reconsider your choice to carry a firearm your "own tme". Doing so may jeopardize not only yourself, but others around you should you get disarmed in a confrontation with a BG. Your "I'm here to save lives" mantra that's burned into your brain will override the need to squeeze the trigger when the time comes. As stated by another forum member there are some folks who just shouldn't carry firearms. With your logic and and statements I sincerely feel that you're one of 'um.

gf

simplly it wont give us a pass to go anywhere that any ccw cant, when the event happens that hypothectically we respond to one of those places , we just slip it off holster and all and place it in one of our locked compartments within the ambulance ours have several. it will take only seconds... and it will be under lock and key!!! in a parking area. oh and yes i know whats in Moyoc nc. i have friends who contrct for them

just like i have friends who are emts. and i have quizzed them.
they say no way you can carry in nc as a emt.

see ya

Well first off in Michigan it is not illegal to CCW in a bank (at least here it isn't), and they have legislation that allows certain personnel to carry in those areas we who do CCW cannot....
But we are working on that too HB 4843 I think is the number to eliminate all no carry zones in the state!!!
MICHIGAN
Places off-limits when carrying

1. Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian

2. Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.

3. Sports arena or stadium

4. A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises

5. Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons

wow!
NUMBER 5 is weird. here in NC you can carry in a church unless its a funeral.
weddings/service ok.

i wish all the states would get on the same page.

MICHIGAN
Places off-limits when carrying

1. Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian

2. Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.

3. Sports arena or stadium

4. A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises

5. Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons

wow!
NUMBER 5 is weird. here in NC you can carry in a church unless its a funeral.
weddings/service ok.

i wish all the states would get on the same page.

you know what i think we have found one common ground that we can agree on. the unrestricted carry in all states all places. what do you think? can we agree on that.. now there is a pro gun thought

after seeing that i will agree we arent the only ones having this discussion and it is that way for about every profession out there. and in my two place's that i run i have the same situation my employer says no gun for employees and i respect that, its a very safe place such small in square miles that a police officer is gonna be close, and some of them are emt's and used as first responders so there is gona be one close by. occasionally they get tunnel vision and forget their primary job. one night we were called into a double shooting more like an ambush of the estranged wife and her new boyfriend. the cops/emts went in and got tunnel vision went to workin on the first victiim they found and screamed for ems to come in and we did assuming the scene was safe they ased us to come in , guess what they never cleared the house til we figured out that they hadnt and pointed that out to them. luckily the assailant was former law enforcement and basically put himself in the back of one of their squad cars. its a good thing cause he was a sharp shooter let me tell ya. but on the other we are pro gun people you know dog boxes and all

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back