Elk season starts Saturday

elkhuntCO

SEMPER FI
My elk season starts this saturday morning. We are supposed to get some snow this week, so hopefully it will
make it a little easier to find the elk. It has been really warm so far this hunting season and it is making it difficult to find any elk. I am hoping this storm will change that. It is my 12 yr old son's first elk hunt, so hopefully the weather gods will smile on us and help us find him a bull.

Good luck

Good luck on the hunt. Does the boy have any idea what it is like packing out a big elk?:fie:

It seems that from 8 to 80 go elk hunting here in Arizona. Blasted streets are either loaded with trucks with ATVs or empty. Every where I go it seems someone is practicing elk calls. oooooooh Boy do they taste good.

Best of Luck

Best of Luck to you and your son.
Our deer gun season starts here (in Ohio) in December.
Archery season is in now, I plan on going out Saturday also.
The peak of the rut will start here around the second week of November.

We got snow all the way down to 4500 feet elevation last night. Only about an inch or so here in town but
there should be over a foot above 9500 feet, which should push the elk out of the dark timber and make them a little easier to find. My son hunted with us last yea,r without a rifle, but we didn't get an elk so he has not had the "pleasure" of packing out an elk yet. Should be a great experience for him. He has a total of 3 elk tags for this fall, so he should get a lot of elk hunting experience. I know I am going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Semper Fi

Well, we started out seeing elk Sat. morning and my friend from work killed a bull before 0800. We did not get a shot opportunity for my young uns but the still ahd a great time over the weekend. Another of the guys in camp killed a bull on Mon. morning and when we went in to pack it out that afternoon, I spotted a bull above us and put the sneak on them. I killed him from 300yds with two rounds from my 30.06. He only went about 5 yds after the first round and was dead before he hit the ground after the second. Just a small 4x4 but he will fill the freezer.

Semper Fi

It seems that from 8 to 80 go elk hunting here in Arizona. Blasted streets are either loaded with trucks with ATVs or empty. Every where I go it seems someone is practicing elk calls. oooooooh Boy do they taste good.

you got that right. been a few years since I have had an elk steak... and dying for some jerky too!

Well, we started out seeing elk Sat. morning and my friend from work killed a bull before 0800. We did not get a shot opportunity for my young uns but the still ahd a great time over the weekend. Another of the guys in camp killed a bull on Mon. morning and when we went in to pack it out that afternoon, I spotted a bull above us and put the sneak on them. I killed him from 300yds with two rounds from my 30.06. He only went about 5 yds after the first round and was dead before he hit the ground after the second. Just a small 4x4 but he will fill the freezer.

Semper Fi

nice! congratulations. any pics you could post?

Very Good.. And as Sarah would say, ........ Plenty of room next to the mashed potatoes.... :biggrin:

Here is a pic of my small 4X4 bull. We have started cooking some of him up already, and he is not bad at all for a bull. Even my wife had no complaints about him being gamey. Still have two cow tags for my 12 yr old son to try to fill this fall. We are going out soon for one of those and the other is still pending a spot to hunt.

Link Removed
Link Removed

Semper Fi
Chris

Thanks, Ruger and all, There is nothing quite like elk hunting, my brother says that turkey hunting is very similar, but without the heavy pack after the shooting is done. Gottat love it.

Semper Fi

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back