Electronic Hearing Protection

AussieRogue

Hi there Guys and Girls

My Question is what type of electronic hearing protection should I get so that when I go to the range so that the misses will be comfortable shooting a 308. I want her to have fun shooting and not be worried about the noise from the gun

Thanks In advance

I have those Howard Leight Impacts. Around $50 or so, and they work wonderfully shooting everything I have, incld. my .308

Mine is a Caldwell. It has a button on the left side which you can rotate to turn on to hear what your partner is saying. Or off to keep on the quiet side. It cost me a little bit over $80 at Top Gun in Arnold, but it's good, better than the el cheapo I had for years that came from Lowes or Home Depot.

I have a pair of these on order:

Link Removed

They've gotten great reviews from people at some shoots I've attended.....

I have the Caldwells and really like them. I was thinking of buying a second set for my son to have when we go together.

I have a pair of original issue Pro Ears Linear Elite's. The technology then was sound blanking and for the most part it works well although the accepted sound is very 'tinny'.

The new technology is sound cancellation which is much better than sound blanking.

Sound Blanking is when the sound is picked up by the microphone, the electronics shut down to prevent the sound from reaching your ear. The down side of this technology has to do with the shell the head phones are made of. They must have sound deadening insulation just like all the passive phones do.

Sound cancelling is different in that the electronic take the incoming sound and apply an electronic signal in the opposite polarity as the incoming sound so the 2 cancel each other out. These will also be in the form of a passive head phone in case the electronics fail you're not exposed to the naked sound of the gun shot.

Once you get your honey comfortable with the electronics, make sure she keeps them next to the bed just in case.

Mine is a Caldwell. It has a button on the left side which you can rotate to turn on to hear what your partner is saying. Or off to keep on the quiet side. It cost me a little bit over $80 at Top Gun in Arnold, but it's good, better than the el cheapo I had for years that came from Lowes or Home Depot.

How's the conversation sound quality? I have a set of early manufacture Pro Ears and the conversation level is tinny and it seems here lately I have to wear a set of ear plugs along with the Pro Ears to cut down the reports.

I have a pair of these on order:

Link Removed

They've gotten great reviews from people at some shoots I've attended.....

Let us know how they work out for you. The reviews on your link didn't sound all that great. Let us know!

How's the conversation sound quality? I have a set of early manufacture Pro Ears and the conversation level is tinny and it seems here lately I have to wear a set of ear plugs along with the Pro Ears to cut down the reports.
It is good. Well...I have no comparison apart from my old Lowe's one but when my husband and/or kids want to talk to me I just turn the button to the right and I can hear everything. I use it in front of the tv too...when they just want me to be with them and I am doing my research in my laptop or writing down my plans for our convention or anything that requires me to be with my family. They can watch tv or talk between themselves and it wouldn't bother me at all. I feel ignored...waaaaaaahhhh....LOL

I have the pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold Muffs NRR 33, I can hear talking and sounds near by and they sound fine. Only problem they are to much money.

Link Removed

If you want her to be comfortable, have her use internal plugs as well as an external pair. I took my girl shooting and using just external electronics wasn't enough with my. 45

It is good. Well...I have no comparison apart from my old Lowe's one but when my husband and/or kids want to talk to me I just turn the button to the right and I can hear everything. I use it in front of the tv too...when they just want me to be with them and I am doing my research in my laptop or writing down my plans for our convention or anything that requires me to be with my family. They can watch tv or talk between themselves and it wouldn't bother me at all. I feel ignored...waaaaaaahhhh....LOL

Thanks Mom. So I understand you leave the volume turned down until you want to hear someone? Hmm... I wonder how that would work around my house. :-/

Thanks Mom. So I understand you leave the volume turned down until you want to hear someone? Hmm... I wonder how that would work around my house. :-/
No...I turned the volume off. It is battery operated. If I have it just turned down I will still be able to hear something. Like right now, the tv is blaring with three deaf members of my household (LOL!!!)watching a movie or something. I have my Caldwell on since this afternoon when I heard the car came in the garage as I was busy with my work. I need quiet so I can concentrate. But one thing I had missed was the accident down the road though...if my phone did not light up (indicating someone calling)Iwouldn't have known of the accident down the road. It was my neighbour telling me about it because we can see better viewpoint from here than where they are. Though how beautiful the view from here is, wet snow and speeding drivers on a hilly area like here is a disaster waiting to happen each winter. 4 firetrucks and several police cars and the traffic line??? My house could be burning and I wouldn't even hear the firetruck in my street! Good for range use though...but where do you draw the line?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back