Electricity for dummies


FN1910

New member
When I worked for a power company I heard of more than one person having to be removed from poles that were electrocuted while trying to steal copper from overhead power lines that were still energized. :cray: I also had to do a lot of investigating accidents for the legal department. Some of the cases I helped with you would not believe and were Darwin cantidates for sure.
 

wooddoctor

New member
Man electrocuted in botched copper wire theft, police say - CNN.com

:sarcastic: They didn't read the section of the manual where it says, "Caution, stealing electrical wiring out of abandoned buildings can result in getting the shock of a lifetime."


He got the shock of a life time.....What a shocking experiance......That was electrofying......he was energized.....Look kids this is how you do it. Some body is going to pay big time... I see the power of bottom feeder griding up now. The tax payer are going to be shock when they find out how much we are going to be burnt. His wife wired out and could not shunt her mouth. O well.... at least he can't upload anymore wire nuts.
I wonder if they were illegal aliens and now we are payingfor two more anchor babies??
 

phill

New member
Happens around SPFLD. IL all the time and we have a very small Hispanic community. Has all to do with druggie thinking and not origin. That said if you grew up with out electricity it could be a new concept.:sarcastic:
 

PaulIcemanMc

New member
I really is hard to drum up any sympathy for this couple. The only ones I feel for are the children, be they "anchor babies" or not.
 

G50AE

Well-known member
Happens around SPFLD. IL all the time and we have a very small Hispanic community. Has all to do with druggie thinking and not origin. That said if you grew up with out electricity it could be a new concept.:sarcastic:
I really am shocked, no pun intended, that this type of thing happens as often as it does.
 

Cyr

Member
Right out of school I worked for a large manufacturer of high voltage electrical equipment, mostly in an executive capacity. There were times, however, when others weren't available and I had to go out in the field to do the work, myself.

So, one afternoon the building maintenance guys were not available. I had traveled for almost an hour to get there, just wanted to get the job done, and go home. Problem was that a door was locked and I could not get to the circuit breakers in order to turn off power to the device I had to work on.

Impatient, I decided not to wait. All I had to do was to change two mechanical settings and the job would be done! So, . . . . among a few other large tools with insulated handles on them, I took a big 12 inch long screwdriver with a rubber over-wrapped handle, put it in my tool pouch, and climbed up two stories into the air. Then I walked across a large plank to the hot input panel I needed to work on.

I SAW the two screws that needed to be adjusted, and I saw the hot terminal they were right next to. Then I very carefully inserted my long screwdriver shaft into the tight opening; and, careful as I was, what happened? Ba-Whoom! There was a brilliant flash of light followed by the sound of a loud crackling air burst!

I was lucky! I managed to keep my footing on that plank (it was a long way down to a hard concrete floor); and, there I was, left holding onto the 3 or 4 inch stub of my formerly large screwdriver. The shaft had been severed and blown completely off!

Do you know what went wrong? Because the power—all 220 volts of it—was still on, I had been extra careful about where I aimed that screwdriver blade, as well as how I moved the entire shaft through an assortment of different terminals. What 'got me' was that, although I did NOT touch a hot terminal, the dielectric resistance of the air around one of those terminals had broken down, and allowed a 'short circuit' to be made with my screwdriver's shaft.

Nowadays, every once in a while, I'll drive by that building and think to myself about how I almost died there. I mean, damn, if the electricity hadn't killed me then the fall (or both) certainly would have. All of which goes to prove that when it's not yet your time, it's not your time, and you are not going to die that day.

(Kind of like being in a gunfight!) ;)
 

G50AE

Well-known member
All of which goes to prove that when it's not yet your time, it's not your time, and you are not going to die that day.
No, it means you just got lucky. Just like the guy in my high school who would spend the majority of P.E. class practicing back-court shots on the basketball court. The P.E. teacher fussed at him about it, so he moved to mid-court and practiced mid-court shots. When he would finally make one, he would claim it was the results of all his practice.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
49,432
Messages
623,585
Members
74,268
Latest member
zyvaaprilia
Top