Educational material

Libertarian

Planning on obtaining a CCP and this is causing minor conflict with spouse. I love my wife and respect and value her input and opinion on the subject. She is an educated, well read individual. Looking for reading material that I can present to her to hopefully help her understand the importance of what I am doing.
Any help on articles, books, authors would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same trouble with my wife. How I got her to go along with getting my CCL was we had a small RV and I told her that I wanted to be able to have a loaded hand gun for when we were on the road and spending the night in it. That was my true reason at first. But later there was some shootings and such around where we live. Then I told my wife that I was going to start carrying on a daily basis. At first she just rolled her eyes. But when she found out how many of our friends who have their CCL's which includes our former Pastor, who is a very close personal friend, she now accepts it.

So my advice is, ask your friends if they have theirs. You may be surprised who does. I am sorry I do not have more info for you but here is some info from this site that may help. Good Luck!! Here is the link.

How to Make Your Spouse Like Guns - USA Carry

To the OP:

There are a bunch of well-read, intelligent people on this site, all of whom will give you good advice for the reading material you seek, but if the above video doesn't explain the prudence of arming one's self regularly and consistently to your wife, then I can't imagine what else would. Best 9 1/2 minutes of free education she could ever get.

Blues

If you're looking for facts and a well presented intellectual argument, it's hard to go wrong with works by John Lott. I recommend:
More Guns Less Crime, University of Chicago Press, 1998, 2000, 2010
The Bias Against Guns, Regnery Publishing Inc., Washington, D.C. 2003
Straight Shooting, Firearms, Economics and Public Policy, Merril Press, Bellevue, WA 2006
Here's one by Richard Poe: The Seven Myths of Gun Control, Three Rivers Press, NY., NY 2001
If she's intellectually honest she'll find it difficult to overcome the facts presented in these books. As for "why a gun, all the time?," in addition to some of the recommendations made in other posts I might move her towards some of Colonel John Dean "Jeff" Cooper's writings.

If it helps, I went from uninterested (though not against it), to "Wait, I like hiking and now my husband is overseas and how do I protect myself?" to carrying 24/7 now in a matter of a year or so. This does include time waiting for a CHP, and lots of training, and just getting used to it. (Cornered Cat is coming back! I get to take another class!!)

In addition to Cornered Cat, try The Well Armed Woman. There are lots of survival and self-defense stories there.

Also, if she is willing, maybe take her to a gun safety class. Once she learns how to handle firearms safely, and sees lots of people doing so, she might be more comfortable with the idea of carrying all the time. It's a step, anyway. Baby steps are good. :)

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back