educating the criminals

bellyfat

seems to me, since around 1986 when states began issuing carry permits that;
the criminals would begin to learn not all of us are sheep for the sheering,
i read somewhere that on average, 2 million crimes are stoped each year by armed citizens.
yet every day, if you look, the crimes keep happening.
you would think the word would be getting around in the prisons that, it aint cool to do armed robery's and home invasions any more.
while i agree, some people are just slow learners, its hard to understand why the education process just hasnt caught on very well.
get a gun, rob someone,= easy money. with no thoughts of being shot or being held at gunpoint untill arrested.
there must be some way of getting the message out. like mabey the news media?....silly me. or mabey a campaign tour by the president?

mabey someone on this board could suggest something....jus sayin

I think you are also ignoring the fact that the odds may still be in their favor and the potential pay-offs still attractive to those of a criminal mindset. The fact that crime continues likely reflects a matter of probabilities - I suspect crime is still more likely to succeed than it is to end in violence to the criminal - especially if the criminal is at all working to pick likely targets. I suspect that criminals, rather than passing along messages about becoming fine, law-abiding citizens because they might be shot, are passing along information about how to more effectively choose targets that are unlikely to fight back or be well-defended. Just like we read people and do threat analyses, so do they. And, given their chosen profession, they may actually be better at it than most.

Keep in mind that only about 3% of age eligible people nationally have a permit. And some portion of those, probably larger than we'd like to think, don't actually carry with any regularity. So a perp's odds of encountering a lawfully armed victim on the steet are say, 1 in a hundred, at worst. And that will vary wildly by location. In Chitcago or NYC or LA or DC - odds are virtually nil.

Yes, you see reports of crimes every day. Some in recent times seem to have stepped up the violence level. Yet if we are to believe the compiled stats the FBI puts out, overall violent crime has been steadily decreasing the past couple decades. Whether the increase in permit holders has made an impact, we can't really know that.

All we can be sure of, and we need to keep this fact front and center, is that with the increase in people lawfully carrying handguns, there has not been a flow of blood in the streets, there have not been duels in Main Street. Those with permits to carry are by and large much less likely to commit a violent crime, or any other serious crime. But then, that comes from permit holders being a self selected group who have shown a history of being law abiding people.

Society had a crime problem. It hired cops to attack crime. Now society has a cop problem-Tom Robbins. If you can't find any problem, then you are the problem, perhaps...

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back