EDC flashlight recommendation

mwhals

I am thinking about a Fenix P35, but was looking to see if there are other recommendations.

I have a ProTac HL as well. Very pleased with it. I like the fact you can program the light settings. I have mine set for the low setting first then high power if I need it.

Thanks! The Fenix PD35 looks similar in size and has a few more Lumens and a one step higher water proof rating. I was mainly thinking about size, but the ProTac is the same size. Where do you carry your lights? In a pocket or pouch?

If I am wearing cargo shorts, it's in the pocket. If I am traveling by air it's in my backpack. In my judgement once you reach 500 lumens of light it's hard to tell the 500 from 600 with that small of a reflector. Once you reach 1000 lumens there is a noticeable difference. I like the looks of the Fenix lights but their Turbo rating to me is false advertising as they often use the turbo output to boost the ratings. In their manual the turbo mode is only for a few minutes then the light drops down to the next power level so the PD35 is effectively 450 lumens, which wouldn't look any different than 500. A few minutes of light at 850 lumens would be useful as one could use that high output to blind an attacker but your not going to get 1.15 hour runtime at 850 lumens. I also like that the Fenix can use rechargeables or the CR123A batteries. I once purchased a Fenix light but returned it when I learned of the "turbo" mode downside. At first I thought the unit was defective but discovered in the manual it was supposed to be that way. The ProTac HL cost me around 65.00 online which is about the same price as the PD35. I don't think you could wrong with either light. Here is an excellent review of the Fenix PD35, Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

After experimenting with multiple flashlights, I've settled on the Surefire EB1. Not cheap, but utterly reliable. I had a Fenix but it did not hold up.

I am thinking of the E2D Defensive Ultra as it seems to fit what I want. Blinding light and construction to break out through an automobile window or strike an attacker if I can't get away quickly. This is for places I can't carry the gun.

I decided on an EB1 or EB2 Backup. Oddly, they are near the same price. As a result, it comes down to a little more length and 200 compared to 500 lumens.

I love the tactical switches on the EB1 and EB2 allowing me to go to low without cycling through the high along with the ability to quickly go to high.

I ordered the EB1 Backup with the clicky switch. I also order an Olight is3 for an everyday light with the Surefire for tactical or when 80 lumens isn't enough. Both lights will be carried.

I am thinking of the E2D Defensive Ultra as it seems to fit what I want. Blinding light and construction to break out through an automobile window or strike an attacker if I can't get away quickly. This is for places I can't carry the gun.
I have an E2D and although I really like it, the sharp edges don't make for great pocket carry and if you travel by air, it will probably be taken away from you as a potential weapon. I had a Vernier Caliper taken from me by the TSA and had to check my bag with the calipers since I needed the for a job at my destination.

Buy the PD35. It is the best flashlight I have ever owned. I carry it on a daily basis and have the THYRM Switch back attachment.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

I recently purchased from my local gun shop the latest Ledlenser MT18, delivering 3000 lumens. This flashlight is very powerful and produces extremely bright light. It has three levels of brightness and is easy to focus. In its highest setting, the light is so strong that you can feel pressure and heat on your skin. Impeccable German engineering.

The LED Lenser MT18 is a compact, super powerful rechargeable torch that can produce a maximum output of 3000 lumens from three Xtreme white LEDs.
Powered by a triangular rechargeable battery pack that consists of three 18650 3400 mAh lithium-ion cells, bundled together to for the ultimate power source with a 10200 mAh capacity in total, the MT18 has a run-time of up to 5 hours on the highest setting (down to 1 lumen).
The battery pack is charged inside the torch via the charging port on the neck of the torch. Lift the dust cover to reveal the charging port and then plug in either the mains adaptor to charge via the wall or the USB cable to charge via a computer/laptop or via car with a suitable USB car adaptor (not included). The charging indicator in the switch will go red to show charging is in progress and turn green once charging is complete.
The MT18 offers three brightness settings and strobe, which are available in three pre-set selectable modes. The torch is factory set to mode 1, which cycles through in the order of high, mid, low and off with each press. Mode 2 cycles through the settings in the opposite direction of low, mid, high and off. Finally mode 3 cycles through the brightness settings the same as mode 1, except when the torch is on in any mode, you can press and hold the button to activate the strobe setting.
Switching between modes is simple and is done by holding down the button while the torch is off. While holding the button the light will blink once to indicated mode 1 after 10 seconds, blink twice to indicate mode 2 after 13 seconds and blink three times to indicate mode 3 after 16 seconds. Once you have reached the setting you desire, release the button and the light will stay in this mode until you change it again.
The MT18 also features a lock out mode to prevent accidental activation when not in use and can be activated the same way as changing modes, except you hold the button for 19 seconds until the light blinks four times. To come out of lock out mode, hold the button for 5 seconds until the light blinks once.
An integrated power indicator in the switch of the torch indicates remaining battery power by displaying a green, yellow or red light. This will automatically happen when you insert the batteries or you can access it any time by holding the button for two seconds while the torch is off.
The advanced focus system allows you to focus the light from spot to flood by sliding the head of the torch forwards and backwards. On the highest setting when focused into a spot, with a fully charged battery, the MT18 can throw the beam up to 540 metres range.
Product Information
Three brightness settings and strobe
Three selectable modes
Lock out function
Built-in battery power indicator
Operational Modes
Low: 30 lumens; 96 hours run-time; 80 m beam range
Mid: 600 lumens; 9 hours run-time; 260 m beam range
High: 3000 lumens; 5 hours run-time; 540 m beam range
The above parameters are tested in lab conditions using the included battery pack with energy saving mode (down to 1 lumen) and data may vary between torch, batteries, environment and individual usage habits.

Technical Details
Type: Hand-held rechargeable torch
Operating Modes: Low / Mid / High / Strobe
Luminous Flux: Up to 3000 lumens
Lamp: 3 x Xtreme LEDs
Beam Range: Up to 540 m
Run Time: Up to 96 hours on low setting (down to 1 lumen)
Charge Time: 8 hours approx.
Focus: One handed speed focus; spot to flood
Optics: Advanced focus system
Batteries Required: 1 x lithium-ion battery pack (included)
Overall Length: 171 mm
Head Diameter: 86 mm
Weight: 620 grams (including battery)
Body Colour: Black
Body Material: Aircraft grade aluminium
Electrical Contacts: Gold plated contacts
Switch Type: Side push button
Environmental: Water resistant to IPX4 standard
Warranty: 5 years
Regulatory Compliance: CE / RoHS

Link Removed

Surefire EB1!!!! Without a doubt! It was a little heavy on the pockets but once I got it, I never had to switch to another option again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back