dutch ovens

rath150

Anyone have some good recipes using a dutch oven?

I'm lactose intolerant, so I usually eat a few pieces of cheese, drink a glass of milk and brew a good one before my wife gets into bed. As soon as I feel the bubbling, POW! I slam the covers over her head and let her have a taste of my grits. Then its off to the bathroom and then to recliner by the fireplace for a few nights.

My favorite easy recipe is in all the books. Peach (or other fruit) cobbler.
Couple cans of peaches, yellow cake mix. Put in the peaches, pour over the cake mix and cook. Make sure you have brickettes on the dutch oven lid to brown the mixture.

I picked wild huckleberries at my property last summer and mixed with canned blueberries (or frozen, I can't remember which) Really good!!!

Preheat dutch oven over 4 - 6 coals w/ several coals on lid. While this is working sear all sides of sirloin roast over HOT coals. When roast is well seared place in hot dutch oven w/ 2 cups (mol) H2O. Be sure to keep a couple hot coals under the dutch oven and on the lid. Eat it when it's done to your satisfaction, about an hour (mol).
I like to use some powdered gravy mix in the H2O, cut up onions, carrots, potatoes, parsnips -- just about any vegetable that's available that I like. Maybe a little liquid smoke - experiment - different meat - different gravy - different veg - make it your own & enjoy.
Regards -- Al

My wife uses ours to make French onion soup. Won't tell me how she does it though.
I would think that any of the "foil-pack" meals people make while camping would work very well in a dutch oven as well.

I have gotten some of my favorite DO recipes from a site called Dutch Oven Madness! The lady was making at least one meal a day in her camp dutch oven, ( the king of DO with legs) that uses charcoal. Any of her recipes can be done in a regular DO in the house. Most of her stuff was modified from a regular recipe.

One of my favorites that I make often is her Chicken Enchilada ring.
Ingredients.....
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 small can chopped chilies, undrained
1 cup sour cream
1 cup re fried beans
1 package taco seasoning
2 packages of crescent rolls
1 can of Mexicorn (I added this)

Instructions...
Stir together chicken, cheese, chilies, sour cream, corn, re fried beans and taco seasoning. Unroll crescent dough and separate triangles. Arrange them in the dutch oven, making a circle with wide ends overlapping in the center and points toward outside. Spread chicken mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangle. Bring points of triangles up and over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at the center of the ring. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired. Serves 6.

Here is the finished product with some Spanish rice put in the center...

Potato and Broccoli Casaroll
Start with onion rings on the bottom, then Potato slices, sliver sliced Ham, Broccoli, Cheese slices, then start over with Onion rings again and keep stacking. Top off with lots of cheese on top. Salt and Pepper normally the popatos in each layer.
Cook at 325 - 350 till potatos are done. Probably 2 rounds of charcoal.
Dump Cake (Pineapple/Cherry)
(10 Inch Dutch Oven)
Try Pineapple Chunks or Tidbitts and Cherry Pie filling mixed together on the bottom. Leave all the Pineapple Juice in the mix.
Sprinkle a Yellow, or Pineapple Cake mix over the Fruit Mix. Others cake mix will work also.
Add a stick of Butter cut up into patts over the top.
Cook till cake mix is done at 325 - 350.
Note for larger pots, just add more. If you use a Fruit Mix that is not WET you can drizzle some 7 UP or Sprite over the top of the cake mix. I have even heard of Coke or DR Pepper being used. Just start playing, it is hard to mess up.
I could go on and on. I have 3 each 16 Inch ovens if that gives you an idea. Lately I have picked up a couple of Lodge 10 Deeps. They are getting used a lot. Great size for 2 or cooking demonstrations.
Bob The Revolver Guy

A Dutch oven is perfect for braises because of how heavy it is, which helps it retain and distribute heat evenly—according to zainyz ideal for searing meat at high heat and maintaining low-and-slow temperatures for a long time. You'll wonder how you ever got through these miserable winter months without one

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back