dumping deer on highway

jg1967

My local news station just mentioned that here in NC some hunters seem to dump deer carcasses on the Interstates/Highways, why would any hunter do that?

I suspect they know because of the entry and exit holes in the deer. Pretty sure the deer refused to make a statement on the issue.

I am not surprised at the local news report. I've seen deer carcasses where only the hindquarters and the tenderloin were taken. The rest of the deer was discarded.

I wonder how they have proof that legitimate deer hunters are doing that.
I marked the pertinent word there. Hunters wouldn't do that. Poachers would. They are not the same thing.

And does North Carolina regularly necropsy every dead animal on the side of the road? Are they that flush with cash that they can take the time to examine every dead animal and look for conclusive entry and/or exit wounds?

Well, I do not know whether hunters, poachers or bears dump the deer on the highway, that is correct. But why would anybody do that to begin with?

News media often confuse "hunters" and "poachers". I would think that it's more likely that "poachers" are responsible for dumping the deer on the roadside.

A carcass is a pretty big thing to get rid of if you butcher your own deer. A poacher is more likely to just take the antlers or meat they want and leave the rest at the poaching site. This is most likely a lazy hunter that didn't want to pay for it to be butchered that thinks the state road crews should clean up his mess.

At any rate, there is no doubt that ANY negative news story remotely involving firearms is going to be shown and reshown by most network news, local or otherwise. As long as the media can show a negativity and placard the words "hunter", "hunting", "gun", "gun", "rifle", "firearm", etc with the negativity they are all the more willing. This is the central point, I'd think...

Could just be roadkill, dispatched by someone who may also cut off a few chunks. Happens all the time, doesn't mean the deer was jacked.

cmhbob:231678 said:
And does North Carolina regularly necropsy every dead animal on the side of the road? Are they that flush with cash that they can take the time to examine every dead animal and look for conclusive entry and/or exit wounds?

It does not take much effort to look for a bullet hole ;-) The road cleanup crew probably does a quick scan while they are picking it up.

I'm not sure why they would make the the effort to bring it to the road. Why not leave it in the woods?

I agree with Tuckersmom, this is disgusting. I have no problem with hunting, but you need to do it correctly.

I would gun hunting in a heartbeat, if I could hand the job over to someone else once the deer was down.

Sounds like a anti- hunting rant to me.. If a person is too lazy or cheap to have a deer butchered which is nonsense by the way, why would they drag it to the road? I could see one being shot and run off to die, but still not on the road.. Local poachers or drunks shootin em up most likely..Not hunters.. Liberal media does this all the time..It is no mistake....Sad..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back