Dumbest HR Complaint ever!

Sooooo I come in the office this morning (first day in this week due to illness) and get immediately stopped by my manager. He informs me that a fellow employee (he even told me their name), logged a formal complaint against me with HR. I was shocked, I said what for. He started to laugh and said "For talking about firearms". I said you have got to be kidding me! I went down to HR and spoke to them about it and yup! I am now in trouble for talking about firearms. Can you believe that shit? Like because I speak about my hobby with other people whom I'm friends with here. I am so heated right now.

no....its crazy. They more or less told me to stop talking with my friends here about our hobbies. I was like your kidding me right? I think its time ti update my resume.

Maybe you should invite the higher-ups to the range.(as well as the complaintant, if you ever find out who it is)

no....its crazy. They more or less told me to stop talking with my friends here about our hobbies. I was like your kidding me right? I think its time ti update my resume.
you mean you cannot talk about hunting, upcoming bills and new laws regarding firearms, and target/competitive shooting? These are all legitimate discussion topics... [sarcasm]HR might as well consider banning other hot-button issues such as religion, pro-life/pro-choice issues, capital punishment/death penalty, and lifestyles.[/sarcasm]. I mean really... These are adult conversations, right? Talking about guns isn't sexual harrassment.

- Ceicei

Time to get even, File complaints on everyone every time you hear someone talking about anything but work. The nonsense will stop

I am not a lawyer, But Isn't that a violation of your 1A Rights?

Nope, 1A has nothing to do with private property or private individuals restricting speech. 1A only covers the government from restricting what you can talk about. In your house you can tell anyone you want to shut up and not say a word, their only options then are to shut up or leave. Same way with a business or employer.

Life's a beach. Then the tide comes in.

You might ask your supervisor and/or HR if there are any other commonly discussed topics that are off limits. If there are any topics you might find offensive, say, pulp or no pulp in orange juice, let them know when someone talks about it and offends you!:biggrin:

Are you union? If so get your steward to contact the union. I believe you'll find that an employer can not restrict what you talk about while on break or lunch (as long as it's not of a criminal nature or sexually harassing). If they do all non-work related discussion must be restricted. If they refuse to do so, it's a type of discrimination. Contact legal aide and find out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! No I am not union. I guess I just got to suck it up and deal with. Point is, PRMA sucks to be in. I honestly want to move reallly bad. Its pretty bad I can't happily exercise my 2A right, but apparently we are loosing our 1A as well.

Contact the ACLU

See if they will take your case! They seem to love free speech. If they won't go get a real lawyer and drag the company and the ACLU into court. One for restricting free speech and the other for failure to follow it's charter. you should be able to make some cash out of the deal.

See if they will take your case! They seem to love free speech. If they won't go get a real lawyer and drag the company and the ACLU into court. One for restricting free speech and the other for failure to follow it's charter. you should be able to make some cash out of the deal.

Festus wake up, This is private property and on that property they can direct you to what can and cannot be talked about. It is their right. Even in a union shop.

Either he needs to suck it up like a man and move on or quit on principle.

Festus wake up, This is private property and on that property they can direct you to what can and cannot be talked about. It is their right. Even in a union shop.

Either he needs to suck it up like a man and move on or quit on principle.

Nope, this is HR land, and who knows what goes on there. Private property or not, as an employee, he has rights and privilages guaranteed in law. I do not know what those might be, but I am fairly certain he cannot legally be disciplined for talking about guns. If he wants to fight it, he should hire a lawyer and find out....

When someone decides to become an employer they are bound by certain laws. Just because they own the business doesn't mean they can do what ever they want with employees. I would contact an attorney familiar with work place laws and see what recourse may be possible.

Sooooo I come in the office this morning (first day in this week due to illness) and get immediately stopped by my manager. He informs me that a fellow employee (he even told me their name), logged a formal complaint against me with HR. I was shocked, I said what for. He started to laugh and said "For talking about firearms". I said you have got to be kidding me! I went down to HR and spoke to them about it and yup! I am now in trouble for talking about firearms. Can you believe that shit? Like because I speak about my hobby with other people whom I'm friends with here. I am so heated right now.

This happened to me too.
Apparently two employee's said I spoke of guns and it scared them,and they did not feel comfortable working with me. One employee stated he was a ex-snipper for the Army,the other retired Navy man,they were both first talking about guns,and I only joined in to the conversation for fun,they never said anything to me,then all of a sudden I'm called in to the managers office being told not to talk about guns anymore,and that two people complained and don't want to work with me anymore.

Just BULL

Promotions were up coming,and this might of been there way of disqualifying me,or getting me out of there way for advancement???

Who knows,just BULL !!!

This happened to me too.
Apparently two employee's said I spoke of guns and it scared them,and they did not feel comfortable working with me. One employee stated he was a ex-snipper for the Army,the other retired Navy man,they were both first talking about guns,and I only joined in to the conversation for fun,they never said anything to me,then all of a sudden I'm called in to the managers office being told not to talk about guns anymore,and that two people complained and don't want to work with me anymore.

Just BULL

Promotions were up coming,and this might of been there way of disqualifying me,or getting me out of there way for advancement???

Who knows,just BULL !!!

Totalllllll BS! Like I don't understand how talking about a hobby with a fellow friend offensive to others. There really isn't anything I can do if I wish to stay employed here except take it like a man and move on. I love how we can't even talk about things anymore in this country. I am in total shock, I don't know why though, shouldn't surprise me in PRMA.

You should file a complaint against the complainer, their irrational fear of conversation is disturbing to you and creates a hostile work environment.

Totalllllll BS! Like I don't understand how talking about a hobby with a fellow friend offensive to others. There really isn't anything I can do if I wish to stay employed here except take it like a man and move on. I love how we can't even talk about things anymore in this country. I am in total shock, I don't know why though, shouldn't surprise me in PRMA.

Well I did not get fired.
They just warned me.
So I am very carful who I talk too now!!!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back