Dumb questions...not sure of permit


New member
Hi everyone I'm new so I'll get that out of the way (my question(s) will give that away shortly). I'm originally from CA, but I really spend all my time in Indiana (college student). I don't have permits in either state, but I wanted to do some shooting at a local range. Now here it gets tricky (and where my confusion began).

-As stated I'm out of state, my DL is a CA license and would like to keep it that way (car insurance/registration reasons)

-I can't easily get a permit back home because I am only there for short periods of time

-The only proof that I reside in the state is my apt lease, and utility bills

-Being a student, I'm obviously not a business owner in the state

-I really just want something that I can take to the range, fire a few rounds, and take home (not to carry on me...for now)

Would I need a permit for this? I've heard mixed from my friends. I've heard you need a permit to purchase, but I've also heard otherwise. My understanding is that if I only have it out at my apt or the range, and locked up the rest of the time, I am good without, but the last thing I want is to have an LEO having a bad day take it out on me for not having the right paperwork. Some clarity might help.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. At least I'm trying to learn? I was trying to ask my local police station, but the person I needed to talk to isn't available when I have the time to call (I work odd hours at the moment). I thought someone could help me out here.
Thanks again.

Federal law says you may only purchase a gun in the state of your residence, so since you are a resident of the State of California (your state of residency will be where your drivers license is) if you want to buy a gun you will need to do it in California. I don't believe that you need a "permit" to do such, however I do not know what other hoops California may impose and I think their rules may be county by county.

Once you purchase the gun in California you can unload it, put it in your trunk and drive it to Indiana where you may keep it in your residence. You may not "carry" it anywhere in Indiana without a permit, however you should be able to transport it to and from the range unloaded.

You may be able to apply for an Indiana non-resident permit and carry on it in Indiana since you are not a resident. Indiana recognizes most other states permits as long as you are not a resident, so you may want to apply for a Florida or New Hampshire or other state non-resident permit which Indiana will recognize.

Again, you really do not need a permit at all just to go to the range.

Since for Indiana permits you apply through the Local Police Departement they should be pretty well equipped to answer all your questions. So you may want to ask them in your local area to see if there are any local issues to deal with.

Honestly, in most cases, Law Enforcement Officers are pretty nice people.

Have Fun! Be Safe!
In Indiana you cannot (legally) transport a handgun to/from the range w/o a permit (unless you own said range). IN allows to/from your residence and a permanent place of business or to/from home and a gunsmith.

That said, you'd probably get away with it.

IF you can get a CA permit (i know, fat chance) IN will honor it. (Or, get a FL or UT non-resident permit and you're good to go in Indiana).

The purchasing, I'll defer to 2bear (although I have to say that I've never heard of that particular requirement before).
I don't think there is any federal law requiring you to buy only in your state. I have a friend who is an Illinois resident who bought a rifle at a Missouri gun show. Illinois requires a 48 hour waiting period so they required him to come back and pick up his purchase. If he had been a California resident I'm sure they would have followed any waiting period that California had. You could of course buy a handgun from an out of state dealer and have it shipped to a dealer in Indiana who does transfers. I bought a handgun from a dealer in Missouri and had it shipped to a dealer locally. I believe his fee was $15 or $20 and shipping was $10.

I find it interesting that you can only transport a handgun to and from a range in Indiana if you have a LTC. In Illinois you can transport any place it isn't prohibited to have a firearm. I "transport" my handgun on my person all the time, unloaded encased along with a loaded magazine, sometime referred to as "six seconds from safety", this does require a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card.

Other than this transportation issue I would much prefer to live under Indiana gun laws. I made a trip trough Indiana this week and decided to open carry as I have a Utah and Pa LTC. I traveled about 450 miles and made several stops for gas where I went in and a few at McDonalds. I don't know if nobody noticed that I was carrying or that it is seen often enough that they aren't concerned. I even open carried checking into a motel.

Harrier747, You might want to get a Utah or Florida LTC. Either one would allow you then transport between your home and the range as well as carry in Indiana and about 29 other states. I took a Utah course last year, here in Illinois, and got my Utah LTC. The guy doing the course said it could also be used for Florida, he is NRA certified and said a certificate from a NRA course is good for the Florida permit. It may not even need to be a handgun course. To get a New Hampshire LTC is going to cost $100 now. Utah is about $60, the one night course I took cost $75, and there could be a charge for finger printing. There was someone who did it free that night. Florida and Utah are the two best to have as far as being recognized in other states. Florida doesn't recognize any non-resident LTC, so if you want to carry in Florida you need the Florida LTC, cost is $117, plus cost of course. If you have been in the military as DD214 is accepted as proof of training. The Florida LTC is now good for 7 years, Utah is 5, both can be applied for by mail. No LTC from your home state is required to get either.

Indiana folks tell me, if I didn't have a LTC would even a broken down handgun encased and in the trunk of my car with no ammunition in the vehicle be prohibited without a LTC, if I was going to a range?
Guys - stop and think about what website you're on. Click here: Concealed Firearm Permit Information By State or here: Indiana Permit Information .

If you LIVE in Indiana, you cannot haul a handgun around without an LTCH - License to Carry a Handgun. Without it, you can only take the gun home from the gun store when you buy it, take it in for repair to a gunsmith, or take it to your place of employment. If you do not live in Indiana, you have to have a permit from the state you live in to carry a handgun - or see IC 35-47-2-4 below. Or you have to have a permit from a state that does issue non-resident permits, like Utah or Florida. The chances of getting caught are probably slight, but it's just not worth it to take a chance.

IC 35-47-2-23
Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony.
(c) A person who violates section 1 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony:
(1) if the offense is committed:
(A) on or in school property;
(B) within one thousand (1,000) feet of school property; or
(C) on a school bus; or
(2) if the person:
(A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:
(i) this subsection; or
(ii) subsection (d); or
(B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.
(d) A person who violates section 22 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the person has a prior conviction of any offense under this subsection or subsection (c), or if the person has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.

With regards to a non-resident LTCH:

IC 35-47-2-4
(f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person
who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4)
year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business
or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.
Note: Apply as directed for Residents. You will have to supply supporting evidence that you have a
business or employment in Indiana.

However, you should check out this site: Indiana College Carry Info, as it appears that you could not have a handgun on campus anyway - at least at this point in time.

With regards to buying a handgun, you have to prove Indiana residence:

IC 35-47-2.5-5
Documentation of personal identification and residence
Sec. 5. (a) To establish personal identification and residence in Indiana for purposes of this chapter, a dealer must require a prospective purchaser to present one (1) photographic identification form issued by a governmental agency of the state or by the United States Department of Defense, or other documentation of residence.
(b) Except when photographic identification was issued by the United States Department of Defense, other documentation of residence must show an address identical to that shown on the photographic identification form or as amended by proper notice of change of address filed with the issuing authority. Suitable other documentation of residence includes:
(1) evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax, a current lease, utility, or telephone bill, a voter registration card, a bank check, a passport, an automobile registration, or a hunting or fishing license;
(2) other current identification allowed as evidence of residency by 27 CFR 178.124 and United States Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Ruling 79-7; or
(3) other documentation of residence, determined to be acceptable by the state police department, that corroborates that the prospective purchaser currently resides in Indiana.
(c) If the photographic identification was issued by the United States Department of Defense, permanent orders may be used as documentation of residence.
As added by P.L.17-1997, SEC.8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Latest member