Driving through Alabama ?

AndeyHall

My family and I are taking a trip to New Orleans and Pensacola, FL. I have an SC CWP, but noticed that AL doesn't recognize our permits. What exactly are your laws pertaining to transporting firearms? It seems I can wear it in Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida, but you guys are the only ones I can't. What do I need to do with it while I'm in Alabama?

Get a Utah permit? Since when can a SC permit conceal in Ga? I can carry in Fl with SC permit but not Ga. That was the reason I got a Utah permit. Federal transport (which sucks) is usually the fall back, unless in NYC, DC or some other cities...

Get a Utah permit? Since when can a SC permit conceal in Ga? I can carry in Fl with SC permit but not Ga. That was the reason I got a Utah permit. Federal transport (which sucks) is usually the fall back, unless in NYC, DC or some other cities...
Sorry, forgot to mention that I also have a PA non-resident permit. So I'm good in GA. And our trip is in less than a month, far too little time to go through the process of getting a Utah. Not to mention that what few states it would add, I'm not sure I want to invest that much into it when this is probably the only time I've been through Alabama in over 10 years and will probably be the last for another 10. By the time I go through it again, I plan to be in federal LE and won't have to worry about these silly laws.

Given, there's a resource right on this website that will give you links to all the relevant statutes why don't you look it up yourself?
My number one reason was to make you ask that question. Mission accomplished. My second reason was because I like to keep the fine folks of AL on their toes and make sure they're keeping up with their state's gun laws. What good am I doing them if I just look it up myself? A third reason is because, from an outsider looking in, if I were to read all of SC's gun laws, they can get quite confusing the way they're worded and the way you'll have one law that says you can do one thing and then 50 subsections later there's a statute with a "unless this or this or this". So I figured I'd just ask the people who should know the most about it for a quick answer.

Have I explained myself enough for you sir or should I continue to come up with reasons? Oh I guess reason number 4 could be that I was subconsciously hoping that someone with absolutely nothing better to do wouldn't get on here and read my post and give me reasons why I shouldn't have asked the question I did.

Starting August 1, 2013 your SC permit will be good in Alabama.

TAKING ACTION: Confusion Over Alabama?s Sweeping Gun Rights Bill | WHNT.com
"Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama."
Thanks for that article! Answered 99% of my questions. I just have one more though.

I'll be in the car with my wife and parents. My dad also has his SC CWP and PA non-resident. He rarely ever carried his on him, especially when it's in the car. I noticed the article says that the gun has to be unloaded, locked up, an out of the reach of the driver. Does this apply to people with a valid CWP from another state also, or could he have a loaded gun in the center console or glove box?

My family and I are taking a trip to New Orleans and Pensacola, FL. I have an SC CWP, but noticed that AL doesn't recognize our permits. What exactly are your laws pertaining to transporting firearms? It seems I can wear it in Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida, but you guys are the only ones I can't. What do I need to do with it while I'm in Alabama?

look up FOPA and then learn and follow the laws, do this and you can travel through states where your permits are invalid.

look up FOPA and then learn and follow the laws, do this and you can travel through states where your permits are invalid.
FOPA says that if the state has gun control laws stricter than most transportation laws, the gun has to be locked in a container in the trunk of the car. F@"; that! Are there laws restricting what criminals are allowed to do between the time they initiate contact and the time I get the gun?

Senate Bill 286 will protect and restore your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Alabama by reforming the state gun laws in the following ways:

Allows those who possess a valid Alabama pistol permit to keep firearms stored in their vehicle while at work, as well as allowing those who possess a valid Alabama hunting license to store an unloaded rifle or shotgun used in their vehicle while at work.
Allows transportation of a handgun in a vehicle without an Alabama pistol permit as long as the handgun is unloaded, locked in a container and out of reach of the driver or passenger.
Shifts the current “May Issue” concealed carry permit system to a “Shall Issue” permit system and requires that a sheriff must issue or deny the carry permit within thirty days. Should someone be denied a permit, a written denial must be provided and that applicant would have an opportunity to appeal the denial.
A permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be good for one to five years (to be decided by the applicant seeking the carry permit).
Requires sheriffs to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to conduct a background check on concealed pistol permit applicants.
Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama.
Strengthens Alabama’s firearms preemption statute by reserving for the state legislature complete control over regulation and policy relating to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation is applied uniformly throughout the state.
Extends the current Castle Doctrine to include places of business to ensure the right of self-defense does not end when you enter your business.

That only applie to those without permits. If you have a permit, carry like you do in SC
But see the way our laws work in SC, regardless of if you have a CWP or not, if you're in the car the gun has to be in the glove box, center console, of behind the rear-most seat. It can be loaded and everything. The only privilege a CWP adds as far as vehicle transport is concerned is that it allows you to have it on your person as well. But even if you have a CWP, you still can't just stash it under the seat or in a door compartment or something like that.

So since my dad doesn't carry his gun actually on him, but rather he leaves it loaded in the glove box when he's driving, is that legal is AL?

Allows transportation of a handgun in a vehicle without an Alabama pistol permit as long as the handgun is unloaded, locked in a container and out of reach of the driver or passenger.
This is the part I'm concerned about. Does Alabama have any laws regulating what criminals can do to us before we have a chance to get to our gun?

FOPA says that if the state has gun control laws stricter than most transportation laws, the gun has to be locked in a container in the trunk of the car. F@"; that! Are there laws restricting what criminals are allowed to do between the time they initiate contact and the time I get the gun?

you can follow the laws or you can ignore them that is your choice to make.
the OP asked about the laws and what they were and I told him, I did not tell him to obey or disobey the laws in place.
now go back under your bridge, troll

Your powers are weak old man :eek:
Well how bout these apples...I just went and looked at the gun law resources per state on this site, and nowhere does it mention anything about what a "pistol permit" allows you to do in the state of AL with respect to having it in the car. It says for folks who don't have a permit have to have it locked away unloaded out of the reach of driver and passenger. Doesn't mention anything else besides that.

you can follow the laws or you can ignore them that is your choice to make.
the OP asked about the laws and what they were and I told him, I did not tell him to obey or disobey the laws in place.
now go back under your bridge, troll
Do me a favor and check out who the OP is...

And technically you didn't, I asked about AL specifically, not the federal "FOPA" law.

This only applies to Al residents. Since you are from out of state Al police have to obey with what your ccw rules are from your srate

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back