Driving cross country in spring.......want to carry

Fred420

My wife and I are flying to California to pick up and drive my parent's 38' motorcoach back to Indiana. They have turned 80 and have decided to give us their 2006 Monoco. :biggrin: I have a CC issued in Indiana.....I want to carry from Calif. back to Indiana.

1st issue is how to get my weapon to Calif. safe and secured............
UPS, FedEx, on the aircraft checked..........
I could always "borrow" or "buy" a pistol from my brother who is a Calif resident and has multiple weapons.

2nd issue is where can I find the laws that will tell me if my permit is valid in the states we will be going thru.........I really do not want to hide it somewhere within the coach that was not readily accesable. I would really like to be legal, but if not................... :pleasantry:

Thanks for the input and info,
Fred

Carry Concealed.net they have good maps and can even layout your trip (for concealed carry). Carry Concealed
Dont come threw ILLinois, Well maybe we'll have gotten rid of Gov. Quin. If Bill brady gets in its going to be a lot easier to pass a concealed carry bill.
Good Luck.:no:

Link Removed is a good source for the information you seek. Kalifornia is not gun friendly, nor is Illinois. You will have to stop at the State line, unload your weapon, lock the gun and ammo separately in lock boxes inaccessible to the driver, and continue on your journey. When you get across the border in Indiana, take it out, and enjoy again.

Link Removed is a good source for the information you seek. Kalifornia is not gun friendly, nor is Illinois. You will have to stop at the State line, unload your weapon, lock the gun and ammo separately in lock boxes inaccessible to the driver, and continue on your journey. When you get across the border in Indiana, take it out, and enjoy again.

It is not necessary to separate the gun from the ammo. The unloaded gun and the ammo can be locked in the same container.

Also, don't forget, no magazines over 10 rounds capacity in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

A question regarding driving thru a state that you don't have any type of gun permit or license in while transporting a firearm that is locked in a container inaccessable to the driver. I get the feeling by reading this and other posts that it is legal to do so even though your license is not good or does not have reciprocity in the state you would be driving thru. I thought I read somewhere that there is a law that allows you to do this??

Thanks for the help!

A question regarding driving thru a state that you don't have any type of gun permit or license in while transporting a firearm that is locked in a container inaccessable to the driver. I get the feeling by reading this and other posts that it is legal to do so even though your license is not good or does not have reciprocity in the state you would be driving thru. I thought I read somewhere that there is a law that allows you to do this??

Thanks for the help!

You have two choices when possessing a firearm while traveling interstate (between states). The first choice is to abide by every state's law once you enter that state.

Many states such as Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico (just to name a few, there are many others) allow a person to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without any permit or license. Some will require the loaded gun to be openly carried, or carried in a compartment in the vehicle, Texas requires the gun to be concealed but can be concealed anywhere. We are speaking in terms of without a license. With a recognized license or permit concealed on the person should always be allowed in a vehicle. Some states, such as Oklahoma, require the gun to be transported unloaded and plainly visible in the vehicle, if the person does not have a recognized license/permit.

OR

FOPA - Federal law - Firearms Owner's Protection Act (18 USC 926a):

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

OR the person can mix the two. Without a permit, for example, in Arizona they could concealed carry the gun on their person and then in any state they chose to, they could switch to transporting the gun according to FOPA above. FOPA only covers the person DURING travel, though. The minute a person stops in a state for any reason other than incidental to traveling, such as visiting relatives or sightseeing - that state's laws will now apply and FOPA won't protect anymore, until they start traveling again. Being in an RV should make that pretty easy, though. Once the RV is off the road and set up for "camping", it becomes a domicile and then law enforcement needs a search warrant to enter the domicile unless they have reasonable and articulable suspicion that a person's welfare is at stake.

The final rule is NEVER, EVER, EVER allow law enforcement to access the locked compartment or case where the firearm is being stored/transported/carried.

Thanks Navy, I thought that was the case but really was not too sure. Very detailed, I appreciate that! Thansk again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back