Drinking and Carrying Laws

Stratus41298

I do believe that back when I was knee deep in all the gun and defense laws I could find I saw that you're legally allowed to be upwards of .10 BAC before you are unlawfully carrying. So you can have one additional beer after you're legally too intoxicated to drive. HAH!

Though, it's never a good idea to have more than what any reasonable person would consider to have more than a couple when you go out. Some people would say it's not okay to drink at all and I would not argue with them but I like to go out to the bar, be safe, and enjoy a drink or two over the course of the night. I think it's more about personal responsibility, that is, the responsibility you find within yourself to know how much and when to stop drinking.

Good thing the guy I ran into last night at work wasn't packing or driving! How would I know you ask? He gave me a hug.... :alcoholic:

It's never a good idea to get intoxicated, whether you're carrying or not. I work a side job as a bouncer at a nightclub, and trust me, I see more than my share of intoxicated people, and it amazes me that they keep coming back day after day and getting hammered. While I believe that drinking and carrying is about as dumb as drinking while driving, passing a law against it won't stop people from doing it.

Drinking and carrying

When I know I am going to have a couple, I leave my piece in the car or at home. Interesting, the department I worked for allowed detectives or undercovers to have no more than a .05 BAC when the legal limit was .10%. Since then, Arizona dropped it's limit to .08% BAC, so I don't know what the regulation is now.

I know the laws vary from state to state. Here in Texas their is no "legal limit" when it comes to drinking and carrying a firearm. If an officer believes you are impaired you will be arrested and probably loose your CHL even if you only had one beer.

To each his own I guess. Personally, if i'm going to leave my firearm in the car, it might as well be at home. People are going to do what they're going to do. I don't agree with all of the laws on firearms nor do I follow all of them. Personally if I had my way I would want permits to be accepted in every state without regard for residency. I don't understand why it isn't that way but instead has all of this superfluous legislation about who accepts what and why and who allows what and why. I'm sure they have good reasons. It's just annoying that I cant bring my firearm to NYC while i'm vacationing there this coming week because they don't accept my perfectly healthy firearm permit from CT. If the person in question has an immaculate record and a permit to carry in the state he or she resides in, then why the issue? As long as the record is clean, so should the person get the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty I seem to remember.

That's interesting about the detectives. I guess sometimes they have to have a drink for one reason or another. Their jobs are tough! :)

I know the laws vary from state to state. Here in Texas their is no "legal limit" when it comes to drinking and carrying a firearm. If an officer believes you are impaired you will be arrested and probably loose your CHL even if you only had one beer.

See that's even worse! Now not only is there no laws due to lack of precedence, there's a level of police discretion that leaves personal opinion at the pinnacle of the officer's actions! That will happen to the wrong guy and he'll take his millions and sue. He'll win too.

Although I am against most rules that states put on the carrying of firearms the fact is mixing firearms and alcohol is just as bad an idea as automobiles and alcohol. I realize that most everyone that drinks thinks that they are the exception to the rule but the fact is that alcohol not only slows reaction time but also impairs judgment. I do not drink these days but when I was younger and more foolish I did some things under retro spec that was pretty dumb while drinking.

I agree. It is of my experience though that alcohol can be consumed without noticeable difference in response time. Obviously not in excess, but under correct usage. Modern science has unanimously proven than one drink (as it is in legal sense, not personal sense) per hour will be processed before impairment on any level occurs. I drink really more for the taste than the buzz. Unfortunately most of the non alcoholic beers aren't that tasty otherwise i'd just have them.

Judgement is more of a personal thing. I've had times where I was drunk (w/o a firearm) and have always known when I've had too much to drive. Then again, i'm not the type of person who has a hard time making responsible decisions even when i've had too many, as rare a time as it is.

As it is, as responsible firearm owners, we should know what affects us and how before carrying and consuming anything.

Anyways, not to rant. I just find this topic interesting.

In the past, if I knew I'd be drinking, I would carry without a round in the chamber. More recently, however, as I have matured, I don't drink nearly as much (maybe 2-3 times a year), but when I do, it's at home, and because I don't carry on my person while at home, it's become a moot point.

Like Tat, I used to drink alot.

I, too, used to drink pretty heavily. When we were on the "Road" , we would work 10,12, or more hours, clean up, eat, drink, drink, drink, sleep then repeat. After I recieved my CPL, I quit drinking. Period. Berettas and wobbly pop just don't mix.

Define: Wobbly Pop. Canadian Club and ginger ale. Makes ya wobbly after awhile.....

I'm glad to know that people are taking their permits seriously! This is a very good thing to me because CT is an educated state, and as a result we should have interlligent and aware people with firearms. This is what our forefathers wanted.

I, too, used to drink pretty heavily. When we were on the "Road" , we would work 10,12, or more hours, clean up, eat, drink, drink, drink, sleep then repeat. After I recieved my CPL, I quit drinking. Period. Berettas and wobbly pop just don't mix.

Define: Wobbly Pop. Canadian Club and ginger ale. Makes ya wobbly after awhile.....

Whoa, hold on now. I never said that I have ever drank heavily. All I was referring to in my earlier post was my less mature days when I would get out of hand EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. By no means was I suggesting that this was ever something I did on a regular basis, though.

Whoa, hold on now. I never said that I have ever drank heavily. All I was referring to in my earlier post was my less mature days when I would get out of hand EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. By no means was I suggesting that this was ever something I did on a regular basis, though.

Opps, Sorry Sir.:redface:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back