Drawing a Weapon

No foul?

Umm... No harm, no foul? NO! I don't think so.

If the situation warrants you pulling your weapon in a defensive nature, the situation also warrants you calling the police. What would the outcome be if you didn't have a weapon to go to? Would it be a situation where you wish you had either a weapon or a LEO at hand?

Call the police, give a description of the BG.

I just called my lawyer and his answer was, "it depneds."
You are in a crowded mall and need to pull you gun, there will be many calls to 911 some may be "man with a gun". That would be you, they are looking for.
You are on your properity and a you feel you need to pull your gun and bad guy changes his mind and runs, leave it alone.
There is more, you dial 911 and the bad guy dials 911, now the cops get both of you, the bad guy says you pulled a gun on him, you say this guy had a knife and was going to kill me. This guy does not have a knife, but you have a gun.
Guess who goes to jail?
This is why you must know the law and only pull your weapon when you plan to use it.

Stan45:292447 said:
There is more, you dial 911 and the bad guy dials 911, now the cops get both of you, the bad guy says you pulled a gun on him, you say this guy had a knife and was going to kill me. This guy does not have a knife, but you have a gun.
Guess who goes to jail?
This is why you must know the law and only pull your weapon when you plan to use it.

*confused*
Was the firearm drawn or not? If it was, the bad guy (firearm owner) goes to jail for being a bad guy since the good guy was unarmed, and without further information was not threatening. I'm not sure what you were trying to get across in this part of your post. Make sure he has a knife before you claim he has a knife? I mean..if he didn't have a knife...then not only did you draw your gun in the wrong time, but you are also lying. Are you saying make sure you don't have to lie if you draw your firearm?

What if he does draw a knife, you draw a firearm, both call the cops, cops find both weapons, then what?

What if he draws the knife, you back off, you both call 911, and they only find the knife?

These questions don't serve a purpose, that's why I do not understand what your question was directed at...

>>

G50AE:233202 said:
If you want to carry a badge, go through the Academy and get a real one. Otherwise, grow up and stop "playing cops and robbers" would be my advice. Those kinds of folks give the rest of us CCW folks a bad name

The CCW Cape and CCW mask are better options, IMHO.

Link Removed

I am glad you are showing the picture of me wearing clothes, this time!:D

*confused*
Was the firearm drawn or not? If it was, the bad guy (firearm owner) goes to jail for being a bad guy since the good guy was unarmed, and without further information was not threatening. I'm not sure what you were trying to get across in this part of your post. Make sure he has a knife before you claim he has a knife? I mean..if he didn't have a knife...then not only did you draw your gun in the wrong time, but you are also lying. Are you saying make sure you don't have to lie if you draw your firearm?

What if he does draw a knife, you draw a firearm, both call the cops, cops find both weapons, then what?

What if he draws the knife, you back off, you both call 911, and they only find the knife?

These questions don't serve a purpose, that's why I do not understand what your question was directed at...

>>

The lawyer was saying what if the bad guy ditched his weapon, he knew it could go bad so he turned the tables and now you are the only one with a weapon. What story does the cop believe?
You are the one that could be charged.
That is why the lawyer said, "it depends" meaning if I may expand the thoughts of the lawyer, is it could be a good idea and it could not be a good idea to dial 911.
There is NO cut and dry answer to this question.

Stan45:292472 said:
*confused*

>>

The lawyer was saying what if the bad guy ditched his weapon, he knew it could go bad so he turned the tables and now you are the only one with a weapon. What story does the cop believe?
You are the one that could be charged.
That is why the lawyer said, "it depends" meaning if I may expand the thoughts of the lawyer, is it could be a good idea and it could not be a good idea to dial 911.
There is NO cut and dry answer to this question.

True that, there is no clear cut answer.

Some follow up questions, if someone draws a knife on you, should you let him out of sight allowing him to ditch the knife? We keep saying we should not pursue the suspect, but we are screwed if they call 911 and ditch their weapon...what to do? Hope the police find the other guys weapon? Don't call 911 so only the other guy has a recorded 911 call?

True that, there is no clear cut answer.

Some follow up questions, if someone draws a knife on you, should you let him out of sight allowing him to ditch the knife? We keep saying we should not pursue the suspect, but we are screwed if they call 911 and ditch their weapon...what to do? Hope the police find the other guys weapon? Don't call 911 so only the other guy has a recorded 911 call?

You bring up some very good points.
I think the best answer is train well and hard. Know the law the best you can. And never draw a weapon unless you plan on using it.

You draw and don't call and he does, the cops arrest you, he wins.
You go to jail, he wins.
With the conviction he sues you for more than he expected to steal in the first place, he wins big.
All this and he only had to make one call, the government did the rest for him.

Could this really happen? It certainly has.

Others have mentioned that the cops might not know of a criminal working the area and that you can let them know. Another situation is that they do know and you can inform them of a current location and what he is wearing.

One Story?

You might want to check with George Zimmerman to see how that "one story" theory is working out for him.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back