Don't mess with cops in Vancouver, WA!

Very disturbing story....

Link Removed

gf

wait a minute. you mean it's not ok for an off duty cop to pull his gun out when a guy gives you bad jerky? what is this world coming to?

Wow! Two extra months of paid vacation and 4 months desk duty. Poor Guy.

Take a guess at what would happen to civilian with a ccw in the same situation.

Paid vacation

Wow! Two extra months of paid vacation and 4 months desk duty. Poor Guy.

Take a guess at what would happen to civilian with a ccw in the same situation.

I have never understood how giving someone time off and paying them for it is punishment either.

"You know, like a guy taking his shirt off to fight, that kind of thing, it would free him up to fight," Evans told investigators, according to the transcript.
It sounds like to me that Evans let his macho get ahead of his brain. Who assumes something like that, if they aren't looking for a fight to begin with?

King also wrote that Evans should have never let the situation get so far out of hand.

"While you state your 13 years of law enforcement experience led you to realize you were being assaulted and in a non-defensible position that required you pulling your firearm, that law enforcement experience should have first led you to attempt to de-escalate the argument inside the store. Part of your training and experience involves defusing potentially explosive and confrontational situations so they do not deteriorate to the point they reached," King wrote.
King is right, and officers who are aggressive and start fights are as bad as the ones they're supposed to be catching. Evans' ego was overblown and he was apparently itching to show him who was "boss".

This guy sounds like a ticking time bomb for the department. Once the facts were explored, he should have been fired on the spot.

I think the officer shoulda been charged. He had no right to draw his weapon on that guy. If it was a civilian it woulda been a totally different story.

To me, no different then the guy with the Mercedes who pulled the gun over a road rage dispute. Only difference is one had a badge.

The Brady bunch and Million Mom March are, not surprisingly, ominously quiet on this one. If this had been a civilian with a CCW permit, however, they would use this incident as an example of why people should not be given CCW permits.

The civiian needs to file charges, a law suit, civil rights suit, something

thats the only way to end this abuse of power and favoritism/elitist.

Not to change the subject and no disrespect to the posters here!!! But police officers are not held to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, therefore they are not military. There have been several mentions of the police officer versus the civillian. Technically, police officers are civillians too. It would be better to say police versus citizens. I know it sounds like a stupid issue, but police should not be viewed even mistakenly as military. They derive their power from different sources than the military does. Sorry its a pet peve of mine. Too many departments dress in camo and call non LEO as civillians. Its a power issue and they and all of us need to understand the truth. As your rights are fundementally on the line if LEO transitions to military. Ok, I'll jump off my high horse now, just thought I'd mention that. :) :) :eek:

Good point Whip. But did you notice something missing in this article? The other guys story. There was only the cop's side and that sounded bad enough. Can you imagine what it would sound like from the butcher's point of view. Just a thought.

I can only imagine the other side of the story. I had firearms pulled and pointed straight at me routinely in other countries. The first time was really rattling, especially when as a shooter, I've usually shot the particular gun aimed my direction. I get tired of hearing stories of cops who do not follow protocol or abuse authority in some manner. I've known so many good and great officers out there who go to terrible work conditions every day for little pay, and do a great job. Thus every story I hear of abuse or stupidity irks me. Its why I bring up the civillian thing too, just making sure the boundaries are understood. I'll keep this story in mind as I travel through that area later this summer. ARG!!!

Amen and thank you! Too few people understand Posse Comitatus and why police are civilians. Our streets are not patrolled by the US Army, and this is for a very good reason. The paramilitarization of law enforcement is a very frightening development. Fascism starts when the police are unaccountable to the local communities they serve. It's all downhill from there.

-ishi

Not to change the subject and no disrespect to the posters here!!! But police officers are not held to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, therefore they are not military. There have been several mentions of the police officer versus the civillian. Technically, police officers are civillians too. It would be better to say police versus citizens. I know it sounds like a stupid issue, but police should not be viewed even mistakenly as military. They derive their power from different sources than the military does. Sorry its a pet peve of mine. Too many departments dress in camo and call non LEO as civillians. Its a power issue and they and all of us need to understand the truth. As your rights are fundementally on the line if LEO transitions to military. Ok, I'll jump off my high horse now, just thought I'd mention that. :) :) :eek:

Yeah!!! I used to as a kid, think of the police as military. Although it was a trip to China, all of the country including the parts not usually gone to by Americans, that I changed my understanding of the importance of a free state. In China, there is little in the distinction between police as citizens and military. I'm sure this will be challenged, but I got the feeling since all wore the same type of uniforms, marched the same, carried the same weapons, etc. I got the feeling and I think most did that the government was everywhere. I see too many similarities in our police already. I can understand the adaptation of certain techniques used by the military for swat,etc. But I never want to see them become the governments right hand. Its apparent from such Katrina like events that they had a tendency already to do such. Anywho, just another one of my rants!!!

Yeah!!! I used to as a kid, think of the police as military. Although it was a trip to China, all of the country including the parts not usually gone to by Americans, that I changed my understanding of the importance of a free state. In China, there is little in the distinction between police as citizens and military. I'm sure this will be challenged, but I got the feeling since all wore the same type of uniforms, marched the same, carried the same weapons, etc. I got the feeling and I think most did that the government was everywhere. I see too many similarities in our police already. I can understand the adaptation of certain techniques used by the military for swat,etc. But I never want to see them become the governments right hand. Its apparent from such Katrina like events that they had a tendency already to do such. Anywho, just another one of my rants!!!
It's quite common for Chinese police to be mistaken for the military. Their uniforms differ, but foreigners can't tell which is the military.

It's definitely the case that LEOs in the US have taken on a more paramilitary look in recent years, openly wearing combat boots, fatigues and external ballistic vests in restaurants or while on patrol. I think this is partly due to the objectification mindset that has happened because of suburbanization and the influence of the car in the daily lives of Americans. This is the same alienating influence that has caused children to grow up alone and isolated from a good moral foundation; they then grow up and have broken families of their own, until one of their descendants goes on a mad killing spree or commits suicide because they can't handle it.

You rarely see police as actual people walking a beat on the sidewalk anymore, because most people no longer live in the urban areas that make this practical. You can't go strolling around through a gated community where everyone sits in their air conditioned homes. Now you're more likely to see them riding around in cars, inaccessible and usually distracted by a laptop. Ask them for help and they're more likely to just hand you a card with a number. They're usually well-armed, but what does that really accomplish 98% of the time? Stuck with this role as an impersonal security force, they gobble it up and dress up like they're about to do a commando raid. Even worse, they sometimes try to play the part.

The best police force is one that communicates with people directly and on a familiar basis. Many large corporations have security officers that are actually pretty good at this and are on a first name basis with many employees. That's what we need more of.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back