Don't "flaunt" Concealed Carry

JimSr

We still have a long way to go in these United States. Handgun carry suffered a setback in January with the AZ shooting. As a North Carolina resident, if carrying concealed, we must identify ourselves as a Licensed CCW holder, produce our drivers license and CCW license, which has our DL number on it, when approached by a police officer. We should always respect the views of those who fear guns in general, while they are reciprocating our 2nd Amendment right to own and carry. It is and always will be, a two-way street.

Jim Sr.

Jim

I am confused. Was the shooter in AZ a concealed carry permit holder? You are correct, our responsibility should never be flaunted in front of anyone.

No he was not a CCW holder, although he did answer all the questions on the background check like you or me would answer to purchase a firearm. The problem lays within the local DPS who says yea or nay. If finger prints were required like the CCW he would of never had a firearm. Another problem, all the identifiers of him being a threat to everyone by him not being of a mental state was never reported to the proper authorities. Was this a wake up call, yes it was, was it a cause to ban Hi-Cap mags? Not in Arizona, but now when a delegate is about to speak in public in Arizona there will be LEO's assigned to them for protection.

The Arizone shooting harmed all of us and gave ammunition (that sounds a bit out of place doesn't it?) to the Brady Bunch in their mindless quest to destroy the 2nd Amendment. Living in California and fighting the battle for CCW on a daily basis I tend to be perhaps a bit more sensitive to our CCW. I cringe whenever someone states that they have CCW even though they are not carrying at the time. I dread ever being inadvertantly identified as carrying. Don't flaunt but protect our CCW permits.

The guy was a nutcase... and the Sheriff KNEW it and did NOTHING about it........ They had ample time to do something about the guy BEFORE he killed those people.... Now who is the one(s) that are to blame? not those of us with CCW's, that is for sure....

The guy was a nutcase... and the Sheriff KNEW it and did NOTHING about it........ They had ample time to do something about the guy BEFORE he killed those people.... Now who is the one(s) that are to blame? not those of us with CCW's, that is for sure....

Don't let amsgator catch you saying anything bad about the guys with the badges!

As many of us are respectful of our responsibilites that are a given when we have a CCWP, there are some who should not have this right.The system for obtaining a CCWP is cursory at best. I have read many threads on many forums and, granted it is my opinion and I do not know anything about some of these writers, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I read what they have to say. The old "spoiled apple" motto holds true on CC and almost anything. The trouble with CC and firearms is that the spoiled apple can cause an awful lot of trouble for the rest of the CC community, who have every right to be CC in order to protect themselves and exercise 2A. Just sayin.

I am not up completly on this one but if the Sheriff knew that the guy was a NUTCASE then he had a DUTY to take some type of action to deny this turd of any chance to have a weapon.

Not all Law Enforcement know their job or are trained in diffrent area's that they may or may not come across during their career.
Bill

kelcarry: You could say the same thing about letting people drive vehicles. (... and THAT'S not a "right" to begin with.)

Comes under the observation that in every group/classification/collection of humans, no matter their designation of "grouping", there WILL ALWAYS be those ten percenters that are the problem children for the group.

There are two ways to "deal with" ten percenters; 1) The group "polices" itself. (Home owner's associations, for example.) 2) The Government authorities take care of it. Read: Rules, Laws and Regulations..... most of which are "one size fits all" solutions that affect the 90%ers right along with the 10%ers.

Thus we end up with various levels of "getting permission" from the authorities to exercise our Constitutionally guaranteed rights. An ornerous situation, but one we, the gun carrying community, generally recognize as necessary to "control" or "weed out" the 10%'ers.

That, of course, results in yet another "right" being subject to the political climate of the time. It IS a sad commentary on our society if guaranteed rights can be perverted by knee jerk reactions to isolated instances from our "Elected Nobility".

GG

Good deal

I surely do not go around informing of my 'capability to carry'. Some of the younger crowd I've met acts like it gives them super powers. I don't flaunt it and only a couple very close people know I carry and they've been instructed not to mention. I'm also working on convincing them to carry and get proper training even if it's only me for the moment. It is a right, a privilege and a great responsibility to acquire the skills to carry/conceal and form the respectful mindset required for such an undertaking. As it's been said anyone can shoot someone but to not shoot and control a situation and even showing the weapon as a last resort is a great responsibility. And as mentioned we need to consider those (like my mother) who are 'scared' of guns and bring them along slow. I recently gave my oldest daughter a demonstration of 'the gun is a tool' using one of my axes. I brought it into the living room and sat it in a corner and asked what could it do in that corner out of my hands. She answered simply "nothing". Then we talked of the responsibility of one using an ax or a gun. "It should be well kept and prepared for duty". The ax or the gun should be treated with respect as to what they can do and use should be well learned. Then I gave her the example of the time I handed a smart*** an ax after running his mouth and I took one of my old Bowie knives and left him beating up the other 6" pine tree while I helped my fellow soldiers start their foxholes...lol-"true story".

I don't think the sheriff knew that he was a nut case, but the people in the gunshop who sold it to him knew, and they felt very uneasy about selling it to him. But he had met all the requirements and they had no legal justification to turn him down.

It was the US Military who knew he was a nut case and they turned him down when he tried to enlist. The problem was that the US Military had the legal obligation at that time to report him to the FBI, but they did not. Had they done that, the gunshop would have gotten a NO when they ran a background check before they sold it to him.

Hey Gunny: You are absolutely correct about driving. Whatever I have to say about irresponsible firearm owners I have to say about irresponsible automobile owners. Being an idiot, being irresponsible, drinking beyond a sane limit---they all can cause injury and death and you should pay the price legally and civilly if you are going to break the law or be an irresponsible gunslinger or NASCAR driver wannabe.

I am not sure how the title of this thread and the OP are tied together but let me make a comment on the Title about "flaunting CC or for that matter OC". I constantly hear about how guncarriers want to be treated just like anyone else and be left alone without being hasseled. With this I am reminded of the quote from a football coach telling his team after a win to "Act like you done it before". In other words act like it is no big deal. But then from those same people that want to be left alone I hear about how they made sure to walk past the LEO so they could see their gun or how they got a CCW badge or even one of those banners. In other words they were doing everything in their power to act like it is something different, in other words falunting it. If you want to be treated like everyone else and respected like everyone else then act like it. This mess about an nouncing that tomorrow I am going to OC in a certain store or I plan to start CC'ing on a certain date ect. just makes me think of some boys challenging each other to go up to the haunted house and ring the doorbell. Every LEO I have talked to around here gives the same advice. Behave youself, act like it's not big thing and don't worry about it whether or not you have a permit. Of course this is SC and OC is not legal except on private property. But I have never heard of a person being arrested in SC for carrying a gun that did not involve some other violation. Even a county Sheriff told me that he estimated that over 60% of all men in his county over 60 carried a pistol, most without a CWP and he didn't care as long ans they behaved.

The current trend in CC/OC is the "Second Amendment Carry" philosophy that everybody should be able to carry a gun, regardless of psychiatric record, prison time, criminal record or citizenship. The credo sates that permits are an unconstitutional infringement on individuals. This puts most of the posts in this thread outside the current philosophy of gun rights forums.

Me? I carry concealed, everyday, with a Handgun Carry Permit issued by my state. Nobody but my immediate family and whoever typed up my permit knows that I carry. I am quite satisfied with current laws and obey them as to CC. That makes me an anti-gun, Brady lover according to the prevailing gun advocacy groups.

I was surprised to see some actual sanity and reason in this thread. You will all undoubtedly receive hate mail from true American gun lovers.

Well said, wjh2657. I completely agree! How's that for hate mail?

FN1910, I completely agree as well. I think too many people allow the gun to become the center of their lives. I just strap my gun on my belt on one side, put my cell phone in the opposite side pocket. To me, there just isn't any difference between the two.

Flaunting never, flatulence at times.
I don't flaunt, brag or boast when I CC. Just go about my business as usual feeling some what more secure in my being knowing that I, and I alone, now have the decision to defend myself up to and including Lethal Force if I feel so threatened. BY LAW. Jus cause I strap on my 1911A1 doesn't mean my chest gets any bigger or I've grown a pair. It just means I have an additional option now that I'm Licensed to CC.
I do add, depending on the individuals, with the people or group I may be with I will highly advise everyone to apply for a CWP and or at least have a firearm close by in the house, also be proficient with it's use. I'm a big advocate for the Second Amendment and I push that agenda each and everytime I can.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back